• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Debra Medina

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
TxLibertyLady,

Thank for your response addressing those particular issues...I will try to keep up on her now that I am aware.

Gator5713,

I don't recall your political persuasion, but lots of members here lean towards Libertarian. I don't, so I have to sort out lots of things that SEEM good coming from this or that politician -- and consequently I would agree with -- but looking into it further I sometimes find it'sactually a Libertarian platform.I would be unable to support a Libertarian candidate for anything.

Please recall all the hubbub here a while back about Ron Paul...I couldn't get on that bandwagon whatsoever. Lots of what Paul said sounded good, but he is a Libertarian, and I justcouldn't/can't get behind that.

Regards

-- John D.
John-
I like to think of my self as an independent thinker, and a patriot that will work with the best candidate to restore our 'great' country to what it was intended to be! I am also believe in capitalism and that government is intended to be SMALL!!! These views tend to get me labeled as a Republican, Conservative, Libertarian, Constitutionalist.... Whatever may have you! Although I do not 'label' myself as anything, with a little bit of history I tend to think that my view are best described as 'Classic' liberalism!

Here is my question for you: If you agree with the views of a candidate, what does it matter what their 'label' is? What is it about the 'label' of 'libertarian' that you cannot support?

In the early stages of the '04 Presidential race (even though I AM a Bush supporter) I was considering John Edwards because I liked a lot of what he had to say, even though he is a Democrat! (which typically is very much against most of my beliefs!)

I just urge you to get past 'labels' and look at each candidate as an individual, rather than a 'party line'. As I think you will find, Debra Medina seems to echo the idea of getting away from 'party lines'.

Now, to answer your question, She is running for the Republican nomination, but does not 'strictly' follow the 'lines' of either the Republican party not the Libertarian party.

You seem like an intelligent individual that will make your decision based on the views and values of a candidate, please keep true to that and do not let 'Party lines' dissuade you from ANY candidate! Vote your conscience as you will!

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

wewd,

It might be useful to recall that state's rights was a major reason (if not THE reason) for our Civil War/War of Northern Aggression/War Between the States -- whatever you choose to call it.

I wonder if this current interest in state's rights (i.e., the "state sovereignty" issue) is setting the stage for another such event down the road?

-- John D.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Gator5713,

Lest you assume I vote by party label, I can tell you I do not.

And while I am quite anti-Democrat, I am also disgusted with the pathetic wimpy lost-their-course Republicans, too. One gun-related example would be how little Republicans did to advance (hey, even INTRODUCE) pro-gun legislation when THEY held the majority. It would have been a GREAT opportunity to put some nails in the anti-gun agenda's coffin but said opportunity was wasted. Shameful. Now we have a Democrat majority -- and a lot of so-called "Americans" (actually a lot of shallow, stupid ignorant airhead sheep) -- who think THAT was brilliant idea...what pro-gun good can come from all that?

As for the Libertarians, I won't debate that -- or other politics here online -- as it is OT to this thread and because it'd take hours maybe! And in the end, our views would not change so it'd be an exercise in futility. ;-)

So, I assess a candidate on an individual basis, who he/she is as a person and on his/her core values (and faith).

Consequently, in that sense, I also am an "Independent" even though I lean Republican (except for my dissatisfaction with them, as I said). And although we know a 3rd political party has little chance now of making it in our 2-party system (even an "Independent" candidate is a vote-splitter which usually harms the Democrat or Republican candidate running), I WOULD like to see a viable 3rd party...or at the very least, the Republican Party do some SERIOUS house-cleaning and kicking out members who do not belong there (yes, a "purge" if you will). It may be a smaller party afterwards, but at least it'd be real.

I guess that's enough said...now back to Debra Medina? :)

-- John D.

TxLibertyLady

imported post

I am a Constitutionalist and frankly wish political parties didn't exist. They are all set up to reward patronage and therefore will be corrupt at some point. I always support the person whose views of government and it's power over us adheres most closely to the Constitution. I like the Libertarian philosophy for the most part but I will never again be a member of a Party. I was a Republican for many years in my early life here in Texas when you couldn't elect a Republican for dog cather! At that time Republicans (although already corrupt by the very nature of the Party structure) were for limited government and individual rights more than Democrats were. That isn't the case anymore in my opinion. I have also voted for some conservative Democrates. Unfortunately, and until we can rid ourselves of the Party structure, I have to look a the person and support whoever adheres to the Constitution. In this case it is without a doubt Debra Medina.

At any rate I think the parties and what they originally stood for are certainly outdated at this point. We have gone so far down the road to "isms" (take your pick - they're all just different flavors of the same ice cream) that the major issue now is freedom and not the kinds of issues we have argued about in the past. I think the American working people lean more toward the Constitution and the leadership we elect for whatever reason, lean more toward the global view of government. And those of course who don't work, and just sit back and take, are on the side of the government.

In my opinion, Debra is about our only hope. At least one state has got to elect a Governor who will stand up against the federal government and the escalation of the taking of our money and our freedom in hopes that other states will follow. My money is on Debra.