• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder holster, okay for OC?

Cirtem

imported post

I have a question regarding what holsters will qualify for open carry. Obviously belt holsters are fine.

But how about shoulder holsters? Is that still considered to be OC as long as it's not covered?

Any information is greatly appreciated, thanks!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Cirtem wrote:
I have a question regarding what holsters will qualify for open carry. Obviously belt holsters are fine.

But how about shoulder holsters? Is that still considered to be OC as long as it's not covered?

Any information is greatly appreciated, thanks!
If it's out in the open, it's OK.

AbNo

imported post

Unless you have REALLY big arms, you're probably not going to be covering anything up in a shoulder holster.

In fact, I'd say those things are about as open as you can come with regards to OC. :)

Cirtem

imported post

I figured it was okay. I just wanted to be absolutely sure.

Thanks for the info.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Many folks don't like shoulder holsters because you have to reach your arm around to get your gun, then turn it around to aim it.

A bad guy who closes the distance may be able to prevent you from pulling and/or pointing it.

OWB strong side allows you to stiff-arm or turn away and keep your gun near or behind your hip to fire, making it more difficult to defeat.

(Wonder what kind of comments THIS will get). :shock:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
(Wonder what kind of comments THIS will get). :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ

Some folks feel that shoulder holsters are a bit flamboyant. If you can pull it off without looking self-conscious, go for it. If the 4-Rules Nazis do not like your horizontal holster they can let you take the flank position at the rear of the formation.;)

stay safe.

skidmark

bullseye

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
A bad guy who closes the distance may be able to prevent you from pulling and/or pointing it.

OWB strong side allows you to stiff-arm or turn away and keep your gun near or behind your hip to fire, making it more difficult to defeat.
In many defensive situations it's best to "get off the X". During the Eighties, a guy named Tueller developed a drill, aptly named the “Tueller Drill”. He determined that within about 20 feet an attacker with a knife might defeat the holstered gun defender.

Found a few Youtube vids on the Tueller drill. (Everyone in the vids is definitely condition Orange. Most people wouldn't be during a normal day out and about town. They would have the same results that are shown at ~1:40 in the Family Duel - Tueller Drill video.)

Real life example: Psychopath with a knife attacked cops

Putting distance between you and an aggressor is tactically wise. I'd imagine this could also be used in court to demonstrate that you attempting to retreat, even if you had no duty to do so.

nova

imported post

skidmark wrote:
If the 4-Rules Nazis do not like your horizontal holster they can let you take the flank position at the rear of the formation.;)

stay safe.

skidmark
that was unnecessary.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
nova wrote:
skidmark wrote:
If the 4-Rules Nazis do not like your horizontal holster they can let you take the flank position at the rear of the formation.;)

stay safe.

skidmark
that was unnecessary.
agreed.

Nova, Ed, and everyone else: Mea culpa. I should have referred to the anally-retentive folks who consider any possible situation which might violate one of the4 Rules of Firearm Safety to be worthy of a hysterical hissy-fit, but never seem to realize that their own muzzles are pointing at the ground which might cause a ricochet.

My initial comment was pre-emptive and in no way should it have been read as being directed to or referring to a prior poster. Had I intended it to do so I would have, as you have all seen me do previously, made that direct reference myself.

While I agree that the 4 Rules are there to assure safety as much as possible, I also believe that becoming anally paranoid and throwing hissy fits about them is a waste of intelligence. I remember dayswhen over 100 people carried loaded weapons, with the safety not engaged, and the muzzle regularlysweeping another person or several personswithout a round going off accidentally/negligently. I remember days when over 100 people had their fingers on triggers of loaded weapons, pointing at a point where we were not only not sure of our target, but of what was beyond it, without a round going off accidentally/ negligently. Since we no longer regularly participate in platoon sweeps we do not encounter that sort of thing any more.

When youencounter an individual in an OC situation where they have no reason to put their hand on the firearm, but you have a hissy fit over a horizontal shoulder holster because of the orientation of the muzzle, then I truely think you have gone overboard and need to be reeled in.

stay safe.

skidmark

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

skidmark wrote:
you have a hissy fit over a horizontal shoulder holster because of the orientation of the muzzle, then I truely think you have gone overboard and need to be reeled in.
I disagree. We are trying to make progress with politicians, restaurants and others, I don't see that any better with a loaded (even while holstered) firearm is pointed at me or my friends or family members. You might remember those days from the revolutionary war, but I am living in today, and having a muzzle flagging the guy at the table (or seat) next to you does not only hurt our cause, I would venture to say it hurts it dramatically.

Hissy Fitter,

Ed

Jero1987

imported post

ed wrote:
skidmark wrote:
you have a hissy fit over a horizontal shoulder holster because of the orientation of the muzzle, then I truely think you have gone overboard and need to be reeled in.
I disagree. We are trying to make progress with politicians, restaurants and others, I don't see that any better with a loaded (even while holstered) firearm is pointed at me or my friends or family members. You might remember those days from the revolutionary war, but I am living in today, and having a muzzle flagging the guy at the table (or seat) next to you does not only hurt our cause, I would venture to say it hurts it dramatically.

Hissy Fitter,

Ed
I can see someone being uncomfortable with it, but on the other hand, I have met a few detectives who carry their gun that way. They didn't seem to mind taking their jacket off at the table. :lol:

I have a horizontal shoulder holster for my judge, I do not use it all the time, but I also don't refrain from using it when I please. I guess it just comes up to your own personal convictions. :dude:

Jero1987

imported post

Okay question Ed, in all seriousness, are you against Cross draw and Leg rigs for OC?

If you sit down with an upper leg rig then the muzzle can be pointed at someone.
I have also stood next to someone with the muzzle pointed right at my chest with a cross draw.

Just wondering. :)