• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder holster, okay for OC?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
I disagree. We are trying to make progress with politicians, restaurants and others, I don't see that any better with a loaded (even while holstered) firearm is pointed at me or my friends or family members.... having a muzzle flagging the guy at the table (or seat) next to you does not only hurt our cause, I would venture to say it hurts it dramatically.

Hissy Fitter,

Ed

Then we agree to disagree.

I'm sorry to see that you demonize the instrument. Do you remember when those cooties rubbed off on you?

stay safe.

skidmark

Jero1987

imported post

ed wrote:
......You might remember those days from the revolutionary war....

Hissy Fitter,

Ed
That's where I remember seeing skidmark from. Had to crack open my history boook again.....

skidmarkrev.jpg

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Jero1987 wrote:
Okay question Ed, in all seriousness, are you against Cross draw and Leg rigs for OC?
"Against" is a strong word... I would say... Preference. I would prefer ANY gun not be pointed at me. If you had a shoulder rig pointed to a seat to your left I would probabably choose another seat. If it was the last seat left.. then I would take it.. I am not anal about it.. it's just a preference. Then again, I am somewhat knowledgebale about firearms... most of the general public is not. Skid and I both were at a place where once the freaky dude with the bathrobe belt saw us carrying.. he stepped back 5 feet (to feel safer?). The public is weird. My opinion/preference is that the muzzle not point at people.

Glock27Bill

imported post

ed wrote:
Jero1987 wrote:
Okay question Ed, in all seriousness, are you against Cross draw and Leg rigs for OC?
"Against" is a strong word... I would say... Preference. I would prefer ANY gun not be pointed at me. If you had a shoulder rig pointed to a seat to your left I would probabably choose another seat. If it was the last seat left.. then I would take it.. I am not anal about it.. it's just a preference. Then again, I am somewhat knowledgebale about firearms... most of the general public is not. Skid and I both were at a place where once the freaky dude with the bathrobe belt saw us carrying.. he stepped back 5 feet (to feel safer?). The public is weird. My opinion/preference is that the muzzle not point at people.

I have to agree with Ed here.

Leg rigs are the same way for me.

I'm not against them but, yes, I also worry about public perception about the 'tacticool' look.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I also find myself in agreement with the Seasoned Citizens. The Sheeple are deeply disturbed when a weapon is "pointed at them" even in a holster. Bridget wears a thigh rig when she goes running because its practical and more comfortable, but she doesn't wear it when we're "out around town" simply because its "too scary" for the sheeple.

We should be concerned with sheeples' perception... to a point. Not so far as to stop carrying, but if one holster makes them "feel more comfortable" than another, I'll wear it. Like it or not, we ARE Ambassadors for our "Movement" and should conduct ourselves as such.

Just my $.02 worth...

Semper Paratus!

Jero1987

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I also find myself in agreement with the Seasoned Citizens. The Sheeple are deeply disturbed when a weapon is "pointed at them" even in a holster. Bridget wears a thigh rig when she goes running because its practical and more comfortable, but she doesn't wear it when we're "out around town" simply because its "too scary" for the sheeple.

We should be concerned with sheeples' perception... to a point. Not so far as to stop carrying, but if one holster makes them "feel more comfortable" than another, I'll wear it. Like it or not, we ARE Ambassadors for our "Movement" and should conduct ourselves as such.

Just my $.02 worth...

Semper Paratus!
+1

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:

That's an interesting view.

I heartily agree with it.

It's common sense, really.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:

Just my $.02 worth...

Semper Paratus!

I Agree

W.E.G.

imported post

If you REALLY, REALLY want to send the "HEY, LOOK AT ME!.... I'M CARRYING A GUN!!!" message, the open-carry shoulder holster is absolutely the way to go. Full Dirty Harry rig, with N-Frame revolver and contrasting shirt; or horizontal open-end holster with multiple mag pouches should be perfect.

If the guy behind you in line at Wal-Mart comments, "I carry Hydra-Shok's too," you will have made your point.

Yes, its legal.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
If you REALLY, REALLY want to send the "HEY, LOOK AT ME!.... I'M CARRYING A GUN!!!" message, the open-carry shoulder holster is absolutely the way to go. Full Dirty Harry rig, with N-Frame revolver and contrasting shirt; or horizontal open-end holster with multiple mag pouches should be perfect.

If the guy behind you in line at Wal-Mart comments, "I carry Hydra-Shok's too," you will have made your point.

Yes, its legal.
+1 and you made MY point too.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Actually not, Ed. I'm not one to intentionally wear a rig that would piss people off. I'm more with your earlier post proving your point. I did find the visual about being able to clearly identifythe type of HP ammo loaded in the LARGE frame revolver somewhat amusing, I also find someone wearing such a rig/weapon combination in an inner-city WallyWorld to be a "show-off, look-at-me, I carry Anti-Aircraft Artillery-Instead-of-a-More-Practical-Pistol" rather silly.

There is a place for everything. I'm sure that would be a perfectly normal carry gun for someone "coming to town for supplies" in Alaska where bears are a very real threat, even in town. A large bear wouldn't be very impressed with a few .45ACP rounds until after he finished removing your extremeties from your torso. He may have sprung a few leaks, but certainly may not be in a mood for a nap just yet.

I find your comments insightful and educational, Ed. Keep up the good work.

usaf0906

imported post

Well since the question is "okay for OC" and not "legal for OC" everyones opinions will differ.

Legal - I think this has been clearly pointed out

Okay - As others have stated, this would depend on your location. You will certainly get attention pretty much anywhere you go. Is this more harmful to the OC movement than a regular OWB holster? The Anti-gun people will comment on OC no matter what type of setup you use.

Once we make exceptions to the rule, it becomes a slippery slope. Might you anger the wrong person and have them make a big fuss to law makers, SURE. Will anything come of it, I think its less likely.

So I guess holding this opinion puts me in the sameboat as Skidmark. At leastI am in good company ;)

Glock27Bill

imported post

cbackous wrote:
Well since the question is "okay for OC" and not "legal for OC" everyones opinions will differ.

Legal - I think this has been clearly pointed out

Okay - As others have stated, this would depend on your location. You will certainly get attention pretty much anywhere you go. Is this more harmful to the OC movement than a regular OWB holster? The Anti-gun people will comment on OC no matter what type of setup you use.

Once we make exceptions to the rule, it becomes a slippery slope. Might you anger the wrong person and have them make a big fuss to law makers, SURE. Will anything come of it, I think its less likely.

So I guess holding this opinion puts me in the sameboat as Skidmark. At leastI am in good company ;)

I don't think anyone is against it, per se.

We were just pointing out the benefits of discretion.