• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond... no OC in the city?

driveramsII

imported post

I posted this in the "questions" board but I think it will see more action here among locals. I go to VCU and live kinda downtown (2nd street). While I know I cant carry on campus, I was talking to a VCUPD officer and he said that open carry is illegal in the city of Richmond. I responded that I though separate cities/counties didnt make their own laws and there is just "Virginia Gun Law". He objected again saying Richmond has their own laws and its was OK to CC with a valid permit but not OC. Which one of us are confused... me or the cop?

Thanks to all

richarcm

imported post

driveramsII wrote:
I posted this in the "questions" board but I think it will see more action here among locals. I go to VCU and live kinda downtown (2nd street). While I know I cant carry on campus, I was talking to a VCUPD officer and he said that open carry is illegal in the city of Richmond. I responded that I though separate cities/counties didnt make their own laws and there is just "Virginia Gun Law". He objected again saying Richmond has their own laws and its was OK to CC with a valid permit but not OC. Which one of us are confused... me or the cop?

Thanks to all
He LIED. We've all OC'd there many many times...around cops, in restaurants, down sidewalks, at protests and during Lobby Day in the Capitol and in the General Assembly. Just don't OC around federal buildings/property or around VCU.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

richarcm wrote:
driveramsII wrote:

Thanks to all
He LIED. .............

While the officer is clearly wrong, I think that its unfair to state that "He LIED". You can't be certain of what he knows or doesn't know and to state that he is outright lying is unfair.

The statute in question is difficult for some people to understand, police officers included. We've seen fromvarious examples that officers in the past have misinterpreted that statute. Most notable in my mind is the 2 young men returning from the NRA range who were arrested and had their guns confiscated.

I have no problem with holding someone accountable and yes the officer should understand the statute, but to claim that he knowingly lied is unfair, IMHO.

richarcm

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
richarcm wrote:
driveramsII wrote:

Thanks to all
He LIED. .............

While the officer is clearly wrong, I think that its unfair to state that "He LIED". You can't be certain of what he knows or doesn't know and to state that he is outright lying is unfair.

The statute in question is difficult for some people to understand, police officers included. We've seen fromvarious examples that officers in the past have misinterpreted that statute. Most notable in my mind is the 2 young men returning from the NRA range who were arrested and had their guns confiscated.

I have no problem with holding someone accountable and yes the officer should understand the statute, but to claim that he knowingly lied is unfair, IMHO.
Okay he either lied or is incompetent and unqualified to be a police officer. Better? I guess I'm assuming that he actually knows the fairly basic laws that he has sworn to enforce. Perhaps that was my first mistake. I don't think that Preemption is an extremely tough concept to grasp. And if he truly didn't know what the law was he shouldn't have stated that it was something that was incorrect.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If 'not knowing the law' isn't a defense I can use then I'll be damned if I will allow a cop to use it. He is incompetent and his position as an officer of the law must be questioned.
We are responsible for knowing the law for all of our activities including how they apply to our work. Why then would an officer, who's job is to enforce the law, be cut any slack for not knowing the law?

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Toad wrote:
If 'not knowing the law' isn't a defense I can use then I'll be damned if I will allow a cop to use it. He is incompetent and his position as an officer of the law must be questioned.
We are responsible for knowing the law for all of our activities including how they apply to our work. Why then would an officer, who's job is to enforce the law, be cut any slack for not knowing the law?

DIDDO!

It's no secret that VCU cops have a reputation as being boobs. They have no business taking any kind of legal liberties with my civil rights. Ignorance is no excuse. He shouldn't open his mouth unless he knows what he's talking about.

driveramsII

imported post

Thanks guys, I thought he seemed confused. With that established, how many people actually carry down here in the Downtown area? I read through the Richmond area stories and most of yall seem to be West-enders.

essayons

imported post

driveramsII wrote:
Thanks guys, I thought he seemed confused. With that established, how many people actually carry down here in the Downtown area? I read through the Richmond area stories and most of yall seem to be West-enders.

I go to VCU and I've open carried most everywhere downtown, with the exception of school property. I usually conceal however because it is a pain to switch holsters for class while school is in session.

Keep in mind, carrying on VCU as a student is not illegal, it is tantamount with talking on your cell phone in class or some other violation of policy... although most likely with stiffer academic penalties.

Which VCU cop was it? Was it a rather large african-american fellow?

The VCU question comes up a few times a month on here, so I did a write-up of VCU gun policy, and its problems, here

driveramsII

imported post

No, he was a white guy. Probably late 20's-early 30's. 6'1 220lbs. I think he said his name was Mack. He seemed like a cool guy, I talked to him for 30min or so but I knew he was off base with his carry policy. I work at the commons and he was there for security for an event we had going on.

Repeater

imported post

driveramsII wrote:
No, he was a white guy. Probably late 20's-early 30's. 6'1 220lbs. I think he said his name was Mack. He seemed like a cool guy, I talked to him for 30min or so but I knew he was off base with his carry policy. I work at the commons and he was there for security for an event we had going on.
You should contact the VCU police chief and seek clarification.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Repeater wrote:
driveramsII wrote:

I open carry Downtown almost every weekday. I also have carried on the VCU campus, at bars Downtown, at the state capital, Library of Virginia, etc. For the record, I am a young white guy and have open carried Downtown wearing a torn t-shirts and jeans as well as a tie and dress shirt.

The officer very well may not have been "lying", but I am a bit frustrated hearing from LEO's and former officers on this board about police "mistakes". If an officer doesn't know the answer, they should state that and then find out the answer. Ifa police officermakes something up whenthey don't know the answer, that is close to a lie. Ifthey thinkthey know the answer but aren't certain because the code can by confusing, then the officer should say that.

Please use the link provided to seek guidance from the VCU Chief of Police. They don't have that many officers, your description should be sufficient to assist in the officers education. Of course, VCU has a new (acting) Chief of Police because the last onegot himself in quite a bit of trouble.

I know this officer - I know his wife. He's a good guy, you could start with him. Still, I'd call the Chief and put my concerns in writing as well.

Lieutenant Sean Ingram, class=black11Detective, (804) 828-6409

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

richarcm wrote:
driveramsII wrote:

Thanks to all
He LIED. We've all OC'd there many many times...around cops, in restaurants, down sidewalks, at protests and during Lobby Day in the Capitol and in the General Assembly. Just don't OC around federal buildings/property or around VCU.
If you aren't a VCU student, however, I've had no problem open carring allI want "around" VCU. The details are murky, but as long as you stay out of the interior of VCU buildings, I've never been convinced there is a legalreason a non-student can't open carry around VCU property (outdoors), sidewalks, streets running through campus, etc.

The VAC has some anti-gun language regarding VCU, but I've never heard of anyone charged with anything - and I know people who open carry "on campus". For those of you with more information than me: what exactly COULD you be charged with under an administrative rule as a non-student for open carrying in public (outside) at VCU? Has anyone ever been charged? Maybe VCDL should work on having the General Assembly clarify this - I don't like one public university having the ability to use a murky, never enforced, vague administrative rule that pre-dates the improvements in Virginia's gun laws by 20 years to deter people from doing something that may very well be legal. I've read the discussions about the VCU VAC rule on this board before, and have never come away from the discussions feeling like I have any clarity at all regarding this rule, its enforceability, where it can be enforced exactly, etc. We also have a couple people on this board who have posted about open carrying on campus and encountering VCU police officers without any problems at all - so let's get to the bottom of this. It's not right for this to hang over our heads....

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

richarcm wrote:
Just don't OC around federal buildings/property or around VCU.

As long as I'm on the sidewalk I'm not breaking any law. regulation, ordinance, or rule (does that cover all possibilities?) concerning OC. I've OC'd on the sidewalk in front of the old and new federal courthouse while talking with several of the Marshalls, as well as several other buildings with fed.gov offices inside, and shared a street dining experience on the sidewalk outside the VCU Police HQ with one of their bicycle cops as well as walking around several other parts of both the Monroe Park and MCV campi. Ditto for OC'ing on the sidewalk outside the John Marshall and Stockton Street city courts buildings.

I aint afraid of no public spaces. :lol:

stay safe.

skidmark

driveramsII

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
Repeater wrote:
driveramsII wrote:

I open carry Downtown almost every weekday. I also have carried on the VCU campus, at bars Downtown, at the state capital, Library of Virginia, etc. For the record, I am a young white guy and have open carried Downtown wearing a torn t-shirts and jeans as well as a tie and dress shirt.

The officer very well may not have been "lying", but I am a bit frustrated hearing from LEO's and former officers on this board about police "mistakes". If an officer doesn't know the answer, they should state that and then find out the answer. Ifa police officermakes something up whenthey don't know the answer, that is close to a lie. Ifthey thinkthey know the answer but aren't certain because the code can by confusing, then the officer should say that.

Please use the link provided to seek guidance from the VCU Chief of Police. They don't have that many officers, your description should be sufficient to assist in the officers education. Of course, VCU has a new (acting) Chief of Police because the last oneis under indictment and accused of being a child molester prowling the internet for underage victims.

I know this officer - his wife is one of my employees. He's a good guy, you could start with him. Still, I'd call the Chief and put my concerns in writing as well.

Lieutenant Sean Ingram, class=black11Detective, (804) 828-6409
I know Lt. Ingram from his many security details in the commons. He seems like a great personable guy. If there is one perk to working at the commons is that I get a kinda "in" with the PD. I will see about contacting our chief.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
If an officer doesn't know the answer, they should state that and then find out the answer.
Ifthey thinkthey know the answer but aren't certain because the code can by confusing, then the officer should say that.

I agree with these statements....however, you have to really have walked in his shoes to understand the point I'm trying to get across.

Sometimes LEO's cannot recite verbatim every statute - it happens.

Maybe he was familar with the statute and simply misinterpreted it - we've seen that before. Hell, I've seen a Magistrate and Judge misinterpret a statute. No ill will intended, they just misread it. That's why we have an appeal process.

Maybe you posed a question and he was embarassed because he didnt know the answer...pride is a terrible enemy sometimes.

I'm all for holding people accountable for their actions, whether police officers, or the girl at the Taco Bell window. Until you know his true intentions (which we probably never will), to categorize him as a liar is unfair as is trying to say that he gaveout bad info on purpose to restrict someone's rights. He was wrong in his response, whatever the reason. The OP has the information above to contact his supervisors and address the issue, which is great. Perhaps the next time, someone else will get the correct answer.

One of the things that I try to teach people in class is that LEO's are taught NOTHING about open carry...because its not a law. I was in uniform for 3 years before I saw one person OC'ing, and my first impression was that he must be a off duty cop. He was pumping gas at a gas station. It was only under my own initiative that I learned anything about open carry.

If I had to guess, knowing a few former VCU officers, I'd say that he gave you what he thought was the correct answer because the last time he read that statute, that was probably how he interpreted it....just a guess on my part.