• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question About Shpulder Rigs & OC?

neuroblades

imported post

OK, a few weeks back I had the chance to talk with a KSP trooper and asked if a shoulder rig is a legal OC option as it is partially concealed to an extent by the arm.

So, I'd like to hear what others think about the use of shoulder rigs for OC. Anyone out there with legal background that would like to weigh in on this topic.

langzaiguy

imported post

I don't know if you'll be able to find someone with a professional legal background to weigh in on this and if you did they may be reluctant to give you legal advice concerning this.

This has been debated around here before, and honestly I have no idea what to think either. I have my CCDW so I carry as I wish, I'd recommend you get one as well.

I'm curious as to what the trooper told you.

nick1207

imported post

i agree get your ccdw license then you wont have to worry about how you carry

TheMrMitch

imported post

A shoulder rig would be legal.

Now think this through and do as you wish:

People (sheeple) claim intimidation from OCers at some times. Shoulder rigs are entrenched in most people's mind to be worn concealed.A gun openly worn on one's hip is becoming more and more common and people (sheeple) are becoming more used to that carry style. In fact, it is even 'invisible' to some. That is good.

A shoulder rig almost screams "Look At Me"!

Now, this is my opinion. I personally would NOT use a shoulder rig unless concealed.:dude:

neuroblades

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
I don't know if you'll be able to find someone with a professional legal background to weigh in on this and if you did they may be reluctant to give you legal advice concerning this.

This has been debated around here before, and honestly I have no idea what to think either. I have my CCDW so I carry as I wish, I'd recommend you get one as well.

I'm curious as to what the trooper told you.

I had addressed this question (what the trooper had told me) earlier on in one of my prior posts here, can't remember which topic though. *LOL*

When I approached him with this query, he was choosing his words very carefully, I could tell. The basic message was that it wouldn't really be advisable due mainly to the fact that in an OC situation (without CCDW), the gun should be as visible as possible, like in a holster situation. He even displayed how they carried their sidearm as a reference. He said that in a shoulder rig setup that the majority of the sidearm is covered and only the backstrap and such is visible. But in reality, though I'm not going to question his wise advise, but this is really no different than what's visible in a standard holster on a belt. In short, he wouldn't advise it without a CCDW, just in case.

I can see his POV on this and I have to agree as well. But it is a 50/50 deal I guess.

In reference to those that had suggested the CCDW, I'm currently in the process of locating an instructor in my area. There's supposed to be a really good one locally but I haven't gotten his name yet.

chris in va

imported post

Takes a little digging, but I've found the local CCDW representative at the main SP office has pretty solid answers about everyting pertaining to carry. Don't just talk with any SP officer, they don't usually know all the nuances.

neuroblades

imported post

chris in va wrote:
Takes a little digging, but I've found the local CCDW representative at the main SP office has pretty solid answers about everyting pertaining to carry. Don't just talk with any SP officer, they don't usually know all the nuances.
I had never thought about this, didn't really know that that position existed. I'll have to look them up and talk with them.