Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: 24 Hour Carry Ban

  1. #1
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839

    Post imported post

    In accordance with Wisconsin Adminstrative Code NR 10.09(2) it is illegal to possess a gun (it does not state firearm, it states "gun" so does that include pellet guns and airsoft/paintball also?) in any zone which has a regular deer seasonduring the 24 hours prior to the season open. Within city limits is still within the zone. The only exceptions are for hunting on licensed game farms and shooting preserves, hunting waterfoul if the season is open and target shooting at established ranges. The guideline book that you get with your license states that landowners and their immediate family members who live with them may target shoot on their own land, but I can find no reference to this in the code. There are no exceptions listed for law enforcement, etc. That means anyone who has a "gun" out of its case is in violation including LEOs.(warden trying to issue the ticket included)..

    This is an excellent illustration of a law we need to get taken off of the books.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    908

    Post imported post

    You forgot to mention another stupid part of this restriction. It says "regular deer season". What does that reallly mean. Does that mean the usual Thankgiving week season or does that mean those zones listed as "regular" on the zone map. I already know the answer. I just bring it up to illustrate another area of confusion.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839

    Post imported post

    Lammie wrote:
    You forgot to mention another stupid part of this restriction. It says "regular deer season". What does that reallly mean. Does that mean the usual Thankgiving week season or does that mean those zones listed as "regular" on the zone map. I already know the answer. I just bring it up to illustrate another area of confusion.
    It specifies "as defined in N.R. 10.01 (3)(e)".Which reads:

    firearm season beginning on the Saturday immediately preceding The Thanksgiving Holiday and continuing for 9 consecutive days

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    908

    Post imported post

    Aw so. I stand corrected.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    46

    Post imported post

    I'd assume this law came about to prevent a deer hunter's temptation to pop a deer a day early.Once againthe DNR is assumingguns areforhunting and everyone's a f&^%ing deer hunter. That's the only intent of this law that I can see. Anyone planning on carrying on Nov 20th anyway?



  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    Absolutely! Everyday.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    West Allis, WI, ,
    Posts
    299

    Post imported post

    Should do a roadside clean-up during the carry ban! It would be easy to get the courts to strike this one down.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but the fool's heart to the left."

  8. #8
    Regular Member AaronS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,497

    Post imported post

    JimE wrote:
    I'd assume this law came about to prevent a deer hunter's temptation to pop a deer a day early.Once againthe DNR is assumingguns areforhunting and everyone's a f&^%ing deer hunter. That's the only intent of this law that I can see. Anyone planning on carrying on Nov 20th anyway?

    The Wisconsin DNR will nevertake away my rightto self protection. I have no respect for the DNR at all any more. I lost it over the years.

    In my mind Art.1. Sec. 25 tells me the DNR can get bent. On this one, I do not care at all what "laws" the DNR has set for us. Self protection is a right in Wisconsin, and the DNR will not take it away from me.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Post imported post

    JimE wrote:
    I'd assume this law came about to prevent a deer hunter's temptation to pop a deer a day early.
    Yup, that is the theory.
    They use the same logic when it comes to issuing an archery license and when it can be legally used.
    You can by an archery license and it is valid immediatlyupon issuance up until the day archery season is open.
    But if you buy the license once the season has already started, the license is not valid until 3 full days after the date your purchased it, excluding the day of purchase.

    Why? Because they think it will stop poachers from shooting a deer first, then buying a tag for it after the fact.
    I plan on carrying the day before the season opens, and I am right in the thick of the most major enforcement zone!!
    Do you think the police tag a criminal carrying a gun illegally on the day before deer season with the extra ticket? They obviously ignore the GFSZ's and do not ticket for that unless you are an otherwise legal person carrying in accordance with the state & federal constitution.

    Confederate soul got nailedon the GFSZ law a few months back, any word on his progress? or if his attorney is going after the GFSZ's as unconstitutional in WI as they were ruled at the federal level?
    Won't the upcoming incorporation hearings also address this? this may help. Theseus in CA too. he was just found guilty on the GFSZ BS while on private property!!

    Yup, Teseus was on private property wearing an unloaded pistol on his side, he gave the police his ID (to seem cooperative and not to be a dick) and a few eeeks later they came to his home with an arrest warrant, nailed him on the GFSZ, and improper storage of firearms in his home!!
    That is the exact reason I do not carry ID when I amO-C'ing.


  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348

    Post imported post

    AaronS wrote:
    JimE wrote:
    I'd assume this law came about to prevent a deer hunter's temptation to pop a deer a day early.Once againthe DNR is assumingguns areforhunting and everyone's a f&^%ing deer hunter. That's the only intent of this law that I can see. Anyone planning on carrying on Nov 20th anyway?

    The Wisconsin DNR will nevertake away my rightto self protection. I have no respect for the DNR at all any more. I lost it over the years.

    In my mind Art.1. Sec. 25 tells me the DNR can get bent. On this one, I do not care at all what "laws" the DNR has set for us. Self protection is a right in Wisconsin, and the DNR will not take it away from me.
    I agree with you Aaron. I will carry on that day just like I oc everyday.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348

    Post imported post

    Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    In accordance with Wisconsin Adminstrative Code NR 10.09(2) it is illegal to possess a gun (it does not state firearm, it states "gun" so does that include pellet guns and airsoft/paintball also?) in any zone which has a regular deer seasonduring the 24 hours prior to the season open. Within city limits is still within the zone. The only exceptions are for hunting on licensed game farms and shooting preserves, hunting waterfoul if the season is open and target shooting at established ranges. The guideline book that you get with your license states that landowners and their immediate family members who live with them may target shoot on their own land, but I can find no reference to this in the code. There are no exceptions listed for law enforcement, etc. That means anyone who has a "gun" out of its case is in violation including LEOs.(warden trying to issue the ticket included)..

    This is an excellent illustration of a law we need to get taken off of the books.
    Thanks for the heads up, Interceptor, yes this one needs to go. But I plan on OCing regardless. It's now something I do on a daily basis.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Post imported post

    I have been thinking about this law for a few moments, Since it is only listed in the DNR hunting regulation handbook. I am believe the intention was to only prohibit people that hold a valid hunting license from possessing a firearm. or another thought is they want to keep people out of the deer hunting wooded areas to give the opening day hunters a better chance to bag a deer. (I am still leaning towards believing it is an effort to stop poaching)

    Even thought the state constitution has listed hunting as a regulated right for Wisconsin residents, this prohibition lowers it to a privilege again.

    If you are looking through the published WI statutes for firearm related laws,that particular law is not found. you either need to bea licensed hunter thathas read the regulation book or you will have no clue of the prohibition.

    I have decided to forgo deer hunting this season, I will be carrying a sidearm during the time deer hunting with rifles and muzzleloaders is open. With the increased number of large predatory animals in the northern part of the state. I will not venture into the woods without a firearm in my posession.

    Opening day of Deer season is treated like a major holiday up here, many non-foodservice business'sclose on that day because nobody is willing work!

  13. #13
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839

    Post imported post

    Nutczak wrote:
    I have been thinking about this law for a few moments, Since it is only listed in the DNR hunting regulation handbook. I am believe the intention was to only prohibit people that hold a valid hunting license from possessing a firearm. or another thought is they want to keep people out of the deer hunting wooded areas to give the opening day hunters a better chance to bag a deer. (I am still leaning towards believing it is an effort to stop poaching)

    If you are looking through the published WI statutes for firearm related laws,that particular law is not found. you either need to bea licensed hunter thathas read the regulation book or you will have no clue of the prohibition.

    Opening day of Deer season is treated like a major holiday up here, many non-foodservice business'sclose on that day because nobody is willing work!
    Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    In accordance with Wisconsin Adminstrative Code NR 10.09(2).
    The Administrative Code is published in the same place that the Statutes are. A citation under Administrative code is like a traffic ticket. A fine with no jail time. It is a civil forfeiture unlike poaching which is a crime. Hunting/Fishing rules under Chapter 29 Statutes carry penalties up to and including felony charges.

    I spent over an hour talking to a lawyer and to a Warden on the phone. The Warden said that the exception for land owners and immediate family members (living with them) to target practice was an administrative enforcement decision. A legislature wanted to clean up the rules and place them in the statutes. This would take the power away from the DNR. The DNR did not like this so they changed the enforcement policy and published it in the little rule book without changing the Code to pacify the legislature. He suggested I petition the Natural Resources Board if I want something changed. I say we get a hold of our representatives and change some of the "laws" in chapter 29.

    The 24 hour period is 50 or so years old and was an attempt to stop hunters from poaching a deer for camp food before the season opened. I asked him about open carry and he stated that as a practical matter, the intention is for hunting and that you would not be cited for Open Carry unless you were in a hunting area. Of course none of this opinion is binding. The lawyer said that any citation could easily be challenged. I also brought up the fact about no law enforcement exceptions and the Warden said that the Administrative code is administrative policy so no LEO would ever be cited. We also talked Concealed Carry. The Warden indicated that in a hunting setting you would not likely be cited for having an encased firearm in your passenger compartment unlike in a neighborhood in the city. He also had no concerns about ATVs and encased firearms being concealed as the law requires them to be so.


  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348

    Post imported post

    Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    Nutczak wrote:
    I have been thinking about this law for a few moments, Since it is only listed in the DNR hunting regulation handbook. I am believe the intention was to only prohibit people that hold a valid hunting license from possessing a firearm. or another thought is they want to keep people out of the deer hunting wooded areas to give the opening day hunters a better chance to bag a deer. (I am still leaning towards believing it is an effort to stop poaching)

    If you are looking through the published WI statutes for firearm related laws,that particular law is not found. you either need to bea licensed hunter thathas read the regulation book or you will have no clue of the prohibition.

    Opening day of Deer season is treated like a major holiday up here, many non-foodservice business'sclose on that day because nobody is willing work!
    Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    In accordance with Wisconsin Adminstrative Code NR 10.09(2).
    The Administrative Code is published in the same place that the Statutes are. A citation under Administrative code is like a traffic ticket. A fine with no jail time. It is a civil forfeiture unlike poaching which is a crime. Hunting/Fishing rules under Chapter 29 Statutes carry penalties up to and including felony charges.

    I spent over an hour talking to a lawyer and to a Warden on the phone. The Warden said that the exception for land owners and immediate family members (living with them) to target practice was an administrative enforcement decision. A legislature wanted to clean up the rules and place them in the statutes. This would take the power away from the DNR. The DNR did not like this so they changed the enforcement policy and published it in the little rule book without changing the Code to pacify the legislature. He suggested I petition the Natural Resources Board if I want something changed. I say we get a hold of our representatives and change some of the "laws" in chapter 29.

    The 24 hour period is 50 or so years old and was an attempt to stop hunters from poaching a deer for camp food before the season opened. I asked him about open carry and he stated that as a practical matter, the intention is for hunting and that you would not be cited for Open Carry unless you were in a hunting area. Of course none of this opinion is binding. The lawyer said that any citation could easily be challenged. I also brought up the fact about no law enforcement exceptions and the Warden said that the Administrative code is administrative policy so no LEO would ever be cited. We also talked Concealed Carry. The Warden indicated that in a hunting setting you would not likely be cited for having an encased firearm in your passenger compartment unlike in a neighborhood in the city. He also had no concerns about ATVs and encased firearms being concealed as the law requires them to be so.
    Thanks for putting in the work & taking time out of your busy day Interceptor !
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    46

    Post imported post

    So it sounds like a warden would be the only one likely to issue a citation for this?

    Does anyone know someone that ever got cited for this? Depending on what they were up to I imagine a citation could be grounds for a constitutional challenge. It seems this law is getting whittled down over the years. They have exceptions for target shooting landowners, ranges, game farms, and water fowl hunters already. Basically all this law prohibits is normal small game hunting. Really, what's the logic to that? Why the exception for waterfowl hunting?? Squirrel and rabbit hunters must not have as much clout.

  16. #16
    Regular Member hardballer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Coast of Wisconsin
    Posts
    925

    Post imported post

    I carried just as I do every day. No worries. All went well.








    THE RIGHT SITE - http://rightspokenhere.blogspot.com/
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

    http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839

    Post imported post

    JimE wrote:
    Basically all this law prohibits is normal small game hunting. Really, what's the logic to that? Why the exception for waterfowl hunting?? Squirrel and rabbit hunters must not have as much clout.
    Coyote hunters have no pull either. During the regular 9 day hunting season, all hunting hours arelimited by the deer hunting hours. The rest of the year, you may hunt Coyotes along with other game 24 hours a day.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cudahy, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    68

    Post imported post

    I carried sidearm all weekend. Even in the woods


    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
    -Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor


    Now I lay me down to sleep
    Beside my bed a Tuarus I keep
    If I awake to find you inside
    A coroner's van will be your next ride.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    46

    Post imported post

    Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    JimE wrote:
    Basically all this law prohibits is normal small game hunting. Really, what's the logic to that? Why the exception for waterfowl hunting?? Squirrel and rabbit hunters must not have as much clout.
    Coyote hunters have no pull either. During the regular 9 day hunting season, all hunting hours arelimited by the deer hunting hours. The rest of the year, you may hunt Coyotes along with other game 24 hours a day.
    Holy crap, you're right! I wasplanning to do some night coyote hunting this Thanksgiving (only time I get off from work) and all I saw was night hunting was exempt from blaze orange requirements. Reading a little more closely I see pretty much everything takes a back seat to gun deer hunting. That could have been costly...I could have unknowinglyattracted negative attention fromthe local gestapo wardens. :what:

  20. #20
    Regular Member opusd2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Butt is in, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    453

    Post imported post

    iceman71 wrote:
    I carried sidearm all weekend. Even in the woods

    Same here. If it's something you do as who you are, why change?
    I aim to misbehave

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •