Thread: Montana Carry in vehicle without CCW

Post imported post

Is it legal to have a pistol in your car without a ccw in montana ??

and if it is how old do you have to be ??

Post imported post

According to the Montana Department of Justice, “Montana has no prohibitions against carrying a weapon in a motor vehicle, although federal rules may apply in national parks.”[/i]
    [/i]
    So you can legally have a gun anywhere in your vehicle, either concealed or openly displayed, loaded or unloaded.

However, if you are “inside city, town or logging camp limits” [/i]and if “the gun is wholly or partially covered by the clothing or wearing apparel of the person carrying or bearing the weapon”[/i] you’ll need a CWP. Otherwise the gun can be fully concealed anywhere inside the vehicle, just not by your clothing.

http://www.doj.mt.gov/enforcement/criminaljustice/concealedweapons.asp

Post imported post

Fetus wrote:
    ... how old do you have to be ??
    OC age limits in Montana have been discussed by many knowledgable peopleon this forum before:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum34/2244.html

Post imported post

Yes you can have a Loaded or unloaded Pistol or Rifle in you Vehicle In or out of town, Hidden or in plain sight, without a CCP. Things to keep in mind, A concealed weapon in Montana by definition is on your Person. state and federal laws conflict in regards to Pistol and Age. State says 14 and older, feds say 18. How old are you?

Post imported post

MT GUNNY wrote:
    State says 14 and older, feds say 18. How old are you?
    19 .

Post imported post

MT GUNNY wrote:
    Yes you can have a Loaded or unloaded Pistol or Rifle in you Vehicle In or out of town, Hidden or in plain sight, without a CCP. Things to keep in mind, A concealed weapon in Montana by definition is on your Person. state and federal laws conflict in regards to Pistol and Age. State says 14 and older, feds say 18. How old are you?
    I thought Fed laws only come into play when traveling to different states? Maybe we are thinking of 2 different statutes..which federal law are you referring to?
    States dont have rights. People do.

Post imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:

I thought Fed laws only come into play when traveling to different states? Maybe we are thinking of 2 different statutes..which federal law are you referring to?
    I'm guessing he was referring to the Youth handgun Safety Act found at 18 U.S.C. § 922 (x)(2) "Knowing possession of handgun by juvenile."

http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/i53002.pdf

In response to several multiple school shootings, in 1990, Congress enacted the Gun Free School Zones Act, which made it unlawful for anyone to possess a firearm in close proximity to a school.

And in response to that, Montana passed a state law which exempts people in Montana from the federal "gun-free school zones" (45-8-360, M.C.A.).

Then, in 1994, Clintonista signed into law the Youth Handgun Safety Act, which generally bans possession of handguns by people under age 18, and prohibits adults from transferring handguns to juveniles.

Before this amendment, FFLs were prohibited from selling handguns to anyone under age 21, but there were no federal restrictions on the possession of handguns by juveniles or the transfer of handguns to juveniles by non-licensees.

The Youth Handgun Safety Act does not apply to long guns. Since enactment of GCA68, FFLs have been prohibited from selling long guns to persons under age 18. However, no federal law prohibits possession of long guns, including "grandfathered" semiautomatic assault rifles, by juveniles. Nor is it unlawful for an unlicensed individual to transfer a long gun to a juvenile.

Post imported post

But your 19 so it dont matter to you!