• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Breakfast and the bread slicer

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot, Kenny, Double Tap and Ms Kenny, had an enjoyable breakfast this morning...and it lasted till lunch:p

I didn't take any pictures (We were talking politics and guns) the subject came around to the Bread Slicer, a .308 I built as a pack gun and OC on occasion. I decided to cart it around this afternoon and since Grape Shot wondered about the stock and why I call it the Bread Slicer, here it is. It has a 16.5 inch barrel

bs1.jpg

The butt is 3/4" at it's widest. Now you know how it got it's name GS.:lol:

bs2.jpg

ClumsyCandy

imported post

Are breakfasts not being posted anymore? I only see the posting for one about once a month. Or are they invitation only and mine got lost in the mail? ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

architect wrote:
Yeah, I'm putting the butt of that thing up against the stalest loaf of bread I can find, certainly not my shoulder!
Don maintains that the recoil is quite low with his special home brew loads.

'Course this is the same guy that shoots a 45-70 revolver and says it tickles a bit.:shock:

He has OCd that some too. Something about not OCing a handgun shorter than his camera lenses. :D

Yata hey

Question: What kind of trigger is on that action?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
Are breakfasts not being posted anymore? I only see the posting for one about once a month. Or are they invitation only and mine got lost in the mail? ;)
I'm pretty sure it was posted Candy. I was supposed to hunt but that got postponed until Monday,

ClumsyCandy

imported post

peter nap wrote:
ClumsyCandy wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was posted Candy. I was supposed to hunt but that got postponed until Monday,

I saw the post for this one after I posted that, but I was referring to in general, hadn't seen any posted for some time. : )

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
Have you paid your dues? :lol: Threads were posted.

Several past week-ends people were either sick or out of town, but been back at it for a while now. You can't keep up if you don't get up. :)

Frequently the posting does not get generated until Thursday unless there is a major event associated/related to it. There was not a separate breakfast the week-end of the Freedom Rally as some were there as early as 9:30 - 10:00 lending a hand setting up.

Recent breakfasts include:
River City Diner, today - 7 people
Doswell, truck stop the week-end of the new gun show - 15 people
and there was one in Stafford that a number of local people attended.

See next time.

Yata hey

zoom6zoom

imported post

Bread slicer reminded me:
A BAKER GETS LUCKY
Two bakers lived in a small town. They were highly competitive, but both had many customers. This changed when one baker bought a new bread slicing machine that cut four loaves at once. He could serve people faster, so he soon got all the business in the town. The other baker was forced to close. The second baker went to the first and asked, "How were you able to get all the business in town? It seems that you got lucky all of a sudden." The first baker replied, "I'm not sure. I think it has something to do with the four-loaf cleaver I found."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Bread slicer reminded me:
A BAKER GETS LUCKY
Two bakers lived in a small town. They were highly competitive, but both had many customers. This changed when one baker bought a new bread slicing machine that cut four loaves at once. He could serve people faster, so he soon got all the business in the town. The other baker was forced to close. The second baker went to the first and asked, "How were you able to get all the business in town? It seems that you got lucky all of a sudden." The first baker replied, "I'm not sure. I think it has something to do with the four-loaf cleaver I found."
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :lol:

He fired his old slicer for being a loafer. Before that the helper was let go from Midas because he was taking too many brakes. Don't know what he'll do now as he doesn't have any dough and he kneads it. He knew that batter for 1/2 a loaf is better done and thought about going back into auto repairs to get a lift; but after inspection decided to retire.

Beg me to quit yet? :)

Yata hey

P.S. - They all OCd everyday.

essayons

imported post

Wow that is unique.

What is the purpose of the stock being like that? Is it aluminum? Why not a standard lightweight synthetic stock? Whats accuracy like? Care to share details on your handloads?

I know these questions aren't OC related, but I am a bolt-action nut, and that is one cool gun.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

essayons wrote:
Wow that is unique.

What is the purpose of the stock being like that? Is it aluminum? Why not a standard lightweight synthetic stock? Whats accuracy like? Care to share details on your handloads?

I know these questions aren't OC related, but I am a bolt-action nut, and that is one cool gun.
It seemed like a good design for the lightest possible stock and I based it on a target stock I saw somewhere.

It is aluminum.

It's not synthetic because I'm a gunsmith, not a toymaker:p Besides, you couldn't get synthetic that light. The stock weighs less than a half pound. If you look at it hard, you can see that it is a thumbhole deign....just missing some of the bulk.

The load is 40 grains of 4895 behind a 167 grain spitzer cast in a homemade push through mold, and knurled (No grease grooves). the knurling is lubed with 50/50 beeswax and white lithium grease with a pinch of lanolin.
I cast these extremely hard using wheel weights with 2% Tin and 1% Zinc.

As long as my nerves hold out, it shoots 1.5 groups at 100 yards. It would do a little better with a scope.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
essayons wrote:
Wow that is unique.

It seemed like a good design for the lightest possible stock and I based it on a target stock I saw somewhere.

It is aluminum.

It's not synthetic because I'm a gunsmith, not a toymaker:p Besides, you couldn't get synthetic that light. The stock weighs less than a half pound.

The load is 40 grains of 4895 behind a 167 grain spitzer cast in a homemade push through mold, and knurled (No grease grooves). the knurling is lubed with 50/50 beeswax and white lithium grease with a pinch of lanolin.

As long as my nerves hold out, it shoots 1.5 groups at 100 yards. It would do a little better with a scope.
With a scope you'd be shooting shamrocks, wee ones. :lol:

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote: With a scope you'd be shooting shamrocks, wee ones. :lol:

Yata hey
That's not a bad group, but could be better.

This is a 100 yard target from the 45/70 I just finished. If I can cure the vertical stringing, I think it'll shoot 3/4"

100-yard.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
With a scope you'd be shooting shamrocks, wee ones. :lol:
That's not a bad group, but could be better.

This is a 100 yard target from the 45/70 I just finished. If I can cure the vertical stringing, I think it'll shoot 3/4"
Free floating barrel?

Yata hey

essayons

imported post

peter nap wrote:
because I'm a gunsmith, not a toymaker:p Besides, you couldn't get synthetic that light.

I dunno, there are some pretty slick toys out there

stockkkk-595x346.png

Hendu024

imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
I think it's time to spring for a Remington 700 and one of those carbon fiber stocks.
I've got a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser in a Remington Model 700 mountain rifle and it is one of the sweetest shooting rifles I've ever touched.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
Wangmuf wrote:
I think it's time to spring for a Remington 700 and one of those carbon fiber stocks.
I've got a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser in a Remington Model 700 mountain rifle and it is one of the sweetest shooting rifles I've ever touched.
Yeah, I know....I've got a 700 in 30/06 and a Ruger 77 in 35/06 in plastic and they shoot well...but they have no soul and I won't be able to take them to Valhalla with me.

Hey!
That's a good book title.

There are no Glocks in Heaven