• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My little sister and a firearm.

okboomer

imported post

.40 Cal's hand w/EMP 9mm:

My hand w/EMP 9mm for demonstration of why women might have trouble racking a slide or operating the thumb safety:

9mmSizeSmallWebview.jpg

Spongebob

imported post

ok everyone, thanks for the responses and opinions.

Bikenut, good points. as usual with you :)

Also task force, and gaor, good advice. Yea I think the biggest wrench in the whole situation is ME. I really do need to get over my self and my whole "Big Brother" mentality. You guys are right. I know that my sister is a very smart woman, and I also know that for many years now, I have led by example. The whole issue stems from me wanting her and my niece to be safe. I'd rather be slightly uncomfortable about her possesing a pistol, than mourning her loss.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Spongebob wrote:
ok everyone, thanks for the responses and opinions.

Bikenut, good points. as usual with you :)

Also task force, and gaor, good advice. Yea I think the biggest wrench in the whole situation is ME. I really do need to get over my self and my whole "Big Brother" mentality. You guys are right. I know that my sister is a very smart woman, and I also know that for many years now, I have led by example. The whole issue stems from me wanting her and my niece to be safe. I'd rather be slightly uncomfortable about her possesing a pistol, than mourning her loss.

Glad we could help. :)

Now just remember, You can't be with her 24/7 to protect her. She will need to be able to protect herself and your neice.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I got my wife who is 5'4" ( well almost ) S&W compact 9 m&p, she loves it you can change grips for comfort. But she finds it a little large for purse carry, and she's is not into having to open carry ( not against it, just clashes with what she wears normally). I looked at LCP, she didn't like how small it was, but some members in Washington swear by the Bersa .380, I looked at it and it seems to fit the bill, not so small it will get lost in her bag, but some good heft and nice solid feel to it, and the safety etc. are all in reasonable reach for smaller/feminine hands.

Glad you are concerned about her safety, probably one reason she turned to you, don't let her down, and help her out.

TehGruu

imported post

To the OP. I can understand some of your worries. However, you should be glad that your sister realizes the importance of protecting herself and family. You should also feel honored that she came to you. I have a sister that just turned 16 and I hope that when she sets off for college that she will ask me the same question.

Also, I tend to echo most people's feelings about the fairer sex and autos. Some slides are easier to work. When I was 21 and bought my first couple fo autos, some of them gave me hell in working the slide. Practice and breaking in the gun does allieviate this though.

I recently met a girl that is outstanding on all levels. Right now she is staying in a 1 bedroom apartment with a couple of poodles. Before you laugh, number 1, the dogs are cool, and number 2, one of them is full sized and protective of her. She lives in a nice apartment complex but there have been issues of doors being kicked in, granted they were domestic issues, but still it's cause to pause. Since I care about her and can't be there 24/7 I decided to arm her. I brought my Sig Pro to her place one night and went over some basics with her. After a few tries she was working the slideno problem.

Our plan is to take our CC class together at the start of next year. Lol, then we will go out and pick out her pink gun as well. We just may have to go shopping at a gun store I don't go to often to get the pink pistol. However, if one of the reasons she will carry it will be because of it's color, then so be it. The main thing is that she gets used to having one and practice with it. I am taking her for some range time as soon as we have some time on a weekend. Maybe you should take some classes with your sister? One can never have too much training after all. That way you can let a 3rd party take over on the training but she will have a familiar face with her and not get the feeling that she's being thrown to the wolves.

And when she goes shopping, try to be there with her. Remember, you are not going there to decide what she wants. Sometimes the guys at a gun shop will try to only talk to the man when they see a man and woman together. I've seen this first hand beforewhen selecting a weapon for my ex. Make sure that they answer HER questions. You're just there for support and to offer opinions.

Just be there for her. It sounds like you are surprised by her enthusiasm. It's a good thing though. LolI know I was exstatic when my gf refered to the Sig I left with her as a "weapon". Hopefully you'll be able to take some comfort in her being armed. I know that right now I feel better knowing that, God forbid, ifmy girl should need to defend herself, that she at least has the means to. God knows I love her.

-Gruu

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

a couple of extra points.... One of my sisters (the one that chose a revolver) has a problem with her hands sweating, and that was one of her main concerns with autos... Unfortunately we haven't been able to go to the range together, but I thought of a simple modification that I am willing to make to one of my 1911s for her to try:
Grip tape on the slide! Like the stuff on the top of skateboards! Or some 'plasti-dip' like is on tool handles! (although I think the 'grip tape' will adhere to the slide better) I can hang on to tools with greasy hands, then a sweaty hand on a slide shouldn't be a problem! And if they are willing to carry chambered, then ability to 'quickly' work the slide is less of an issue, as long as they are able to work it!

Of course, if she is single and available; Protius might be on the right track... Set her up with someone that is proficient/professional about firearms that might just also be 'on her radar'!:banghead: