• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Worst feeling of all time.

NCjones

imported post

I got one of those small safes (2x2 feet) from Lowes for about $400. It not only weights 400 pounds but it bolts to the floor, so they cant cart it off.

I just consider it $400 worth of insurance to protect my $4000 worth of handguns when I'm not home. Unless they brought a cutting torch with them, it is actually very secure.

For the cost of one gun I can protect all the others. You might consider the same in the future. I know you can't really make your home "burglar-proof", but you can make it such a pain-in-the-ass that it is just easier to go rob someone else. (maybe the HCI member. LOL)

NCjones

imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
Spongebob wrote: This has tarnished my perfect record of responsible gun-ownership

I don't agree, friend. You are no more responsible for the burglary than a rape victim is because of the way she looks.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NCjones wrote:
Armond Reese wrote:
Spongebob wrote: This has tarnished my perfect record of responsible gun-ownership

I don't agree, friend. You are no more responsible for the burglary than a rape victim is because of the way she looks.

I would definitely agree with Spongebob, that he has ruined his perfect record of responsible gun-ownership. That is, if he did not take adequate measures to reasonably store his guns--especially when leaving the house for an extended amount of time.

Let's face it, if a gun-owner doesn't secure his guns adequately, the guns just might get stolen.

And after they are stolen they might be used to kill or shoot at people.

Why, what's this? A newsflash....

Spongebob wrote:
The police called me.
Hey guys, Sponge here. I haven't been around too much lately, but here is something "interesting" that I want to rant about, and you all are such a great audience.

Some of you may know that back in October, my apartment was robbed while I was at my lake house. They took lots of stuff, including a S&W 1911 accurized, and a little 9mm cobra. Thank God I had my python with me at the lake!

Anyhow, I get a call while I'm at work; it's a detective. I was surprised to hear from her, since I have NO faith in law enforcement whatsoever. This detective tells me that they recovered my 9. Now is where the story becomes unbelievable.

Some 19 year old punk goes up to a house party on the southside to pick up his girlfriend and his sister. The guy working the door won't let him in, so he pulls out MY gun and lets a couple go on the house. (while his sister and girlfriend are still inside BTW) The punk jumps in a car and takes off. Some good samaritan who happened to see the whole thing, jumps in his car, calls the police, and starts following the punk.

The samaritan follows the punk to an alley a few miles from the house party. The punk gets out of his car, and exchanges words with a group of people in the alley. The punk pulls out MY gun again, and lets loose on the group in the alley. The group draw their CCW and return fire.

By this time, the police are on scene, thanks to the good samaritan. The group scatters, and the punk runs, tossing my gun. The cops catch the punk and a couple of the other guys, but the police say "we didn't see him toss the gun".

The police say they have the punk's girlfriend on tape saying " I saw him with a little green gun" and they have witnesses (the doorman at the party, the samaritan), but there were no prints on the gun. They could only hold the punk for 72 hours, and my gun has to get tested for his DNA. (if you've seen the news lately, the WI DNA lab is a joke... this may take years)

Now here is the real clencher: This punk already murdered someone with a stolen gun when he was 15, and got off cause he was a juvenile! He is now out on the streets again, and probably already has another gun. Yet we have people sitting in county for PARKING TICKETS.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/37663.html

LeagueOf1291

imported post

Hank, you and I have different views about responsibility. I put responsibility for theft on the one who commits the theft, not on the victim. "Responsible gun ownership" does not include the duty to warrant that a thief won't steal.

gunman

imported post

some one broke into my house a little over a year ago right before christmas trashed the place stole all the kids christmas gifts and my rugar 9mm,i reported it to the police but have'nt seen it sence

scorpio_vette

imported post

not trying to say that your situation doesn't suck, but for what it's worth, (unless i'm wrong, in which case i appologize) you didn't loose 10years of aquiring tools and your career.

I was burglarized 2x in 2009, and the second time they got roughly $22,000 worth of tools. ALL my tools. and on top of that, i've been fighting my insurance about it since august, they are calling it fraud and saying that my stuff wasn't stolen, AND dropped my homeowners insurance.

i'm not sure what hurt me more. the fact that some lowlife stole everything that i worked 10years for and the only skill i have (wrenching), or the fact that the insurance company that i've been paying for years to take care of me in a situation like this is accusing me of fraud and leaving me hanging.

I've tried getting a lawyer to help out, but the lawyers i've talked to said it's not worth enough to do it on a percentage if they win, and so they quoted me between $5,000-10,000 to take on the case and wanted $3,000 downpayment. well...............i simply don't have that kinda money.

i have never felt so low and helpless in my life. sucks don't it. now i'm truly and honestly concerned that they're going to come after my house next, which will endanger my wife and 1year old child.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
So what you are saying, HankT is that if I leave something sitting on my coffee table IN MY HOUSE it's MY FAULT if it gets stolen when someone enters my house ILLEGALLY when I am gone?
No.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
HankT wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
So what you are saying, HankT is that if I leave something sitting on my coffee table IN MY HOUSE it's MY FAULT if it gets stolen when someone enters my house ILLEGALLY when I am gone?
No.
So it must be my fault it gets stolen only if it is a gun that I leave laying on the table?
No.

jayspapa

imported post

I had a S&W 915 ( 9 MM ) stolen about 12 yrs ago. Lucky for me it was recovered from the local gang bangers before they could hurt anyone. However it had been shot ..bunches . It was very dirty . I had to wait 6 months to get it back from the FBI crime lab though.

The worst thing about this theft though was that it was an inside job!! :cuss:I couldn't prove who did it but the thief didn't ransack the house , just went straight to where the pistol was stored and didn't disturb anything else.

The back door was kicked in and the deputy wouldn't dust for prints :cuss::banghead:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
HankT wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
HankT wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
No.
So it must be my fault it gets stolen only if it is a gun that I leave laying on the table?
No.
Are you saying, HankT, that if I do leave my gun sitting on the coffee table when I leave my house that I am an irresponsible gun owner?

Will no one be home whilst you are gone? If yes, then how good is your home security and how long will you be gone?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
HankT wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
HankT wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
HankT wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
No.
No.
Are you saying, HankT, that if I do leave my gun sitting on the coffee table when I leave my house that I am an irresponsible gun owner?

Will no one be home whilst you are gone? If yes, then how good is your home security and how long will you be gone?
WTF does it matter? They come into my house illegally, they are the criminals, not me. How about putting blame where blame belongs and that is on the people breaking the laws.

Are you dense?

If you have an easy to break in house, you leave for 3 weeks vacation and you leave a deadly weapon out in the open--not locking it up in a reasonable secure locked container/safe.....then you, uhm, get some of the blame for letting a deadly weapon get out into the wild.

OP understood his responsibility. Pity you can't see yours, Mr. B&W.