Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 86

Thread: Man convicted of shooting car prowler

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yakima County, ,
    Posts
    506

    Post imported post

    I remember when this happened. We all thought he'd get acquited. [Edit: last I heard before this was that he was released without charges, and that recently other carprowlers had killed owners. Sorry about the "we."]
    And he used a Mosin Nagant.

    http://www.seattlepi.com/local/411698_northgate30.html

    Here's the OP from when it happened

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...ht=car+prowler


    I

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546

    Post imported post

    I find it hard to call that a "conviction." He pled guilty because the variability of sentencing and possibility of a jury finding him guilty was hard. He was offered the plea deal because, as the prosecutor said, they were afraid a jury wouldn't convict someone who just removed a car thief from the gene pool (okay, didn't say it just that way).
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N47 12 x W122 10
    Posts
    1,762

    Post imported post

    We all thought he'd get acquited. (sic)
    Who's "we"? Is that the Royal "we"?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    539

    Post imported post

    innocent people take plea bargins because stupid lawyers dont do there jobs and the average person dosnt have the understanding of the law that a paid lawyer does. The legal system is broken and needs to be fixed.

    People get sent to prison over profit because lets face it, if the prisons and jails are full someone is making serious coin on it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    I never for once thought this guy was innocent or would get an acquittal. Using lethal force for a misdemeanor is not authorized by the law.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    539

    Post imported post

    its a misdemoenoer until he steals the car and kills someone with it now its a danger to society

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    He obviously was not stealing the car nor was he a threat to the shooter.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  8. #8
    Regular Member jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,241

    Post imported post

    Shot him in theback of the head over a speaker! Wow!I would'nt even shoot if they were stealing the whole dam car, thats what I have insurance for. Plus I never leave anything of value inside anyway.

    Anycivil suits filed yet?
    Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    I thought he was guilty as **** as soon as the story came out. The guy was running away from the car and was shot in the back of the head.

    The shooters health was never at risk. He fired from an elevated position. All over some stuff in a car. Yeah... Great priorities.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    187

    Post imported post

    theres one less piece of trash on the streets

  11. #11
    Regular Member swatspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    University Place, Washington, USA
    Posts
    573

    Post imported post

    David.Car wrote:
    I thought he was guilty as @#$% as soon as the story came out. The guy was running away from the car and was shot in the back of the head.

    The shooters health was never at risk. He fired from an elevated position. All over some stuff in a car. Yeah... Great priorities.
    After dark in Texas, your property is yours to defend against theft with deadly force. We should adopt that law here in WA.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    539

    Post imported post

    ya i like the tx law, ok so the guy used excessive force but none the less if the cops did there damn job and actually patrolled like they were paid 2 then this may not have happened

  13. #13
    Regular Member Batousaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kitsap Co., Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,234

    Post imported post

    swatspyder wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    I thought he was guilty as @#$% as soon as the story came out. The guy was running away from the car and was shot in the back of the head.

    The shooters health was never at risk. He fired from an elevated position. All over some stuff in a car. Yeah... Great priorities.
    After dark in Texas, your property is yours to defend against theft with deadly force. We should adopt that law here in WA.
    +1 100% agree, and it should be everywhere.

    As much as it makes the softies gasp, i think that blatant burglars, thieves, muggers and home invaders are nothing more than diseased animals looking for prey to devour. They are evil and should be dispatched, and the law should be supporting those efforts.I am NOT talking about misplaced desperatesstealing food or cloths to help their kids survive the cold, hard times making people do desperate things, or someone in some bizarre situation acting out of their character for survival... I am talking about the ones that do it because it is simply their nature, for a thrill, because they like to hurt others, or just don't care about anyone else. We need to suck it up and deal with theREAL scum bags, as theyshould be afraid for their survival, not us as citizens fearing them. The softies have forced, bred and brainwashed the modern populace to believe that being a victim (and thus allowing criminals to victimise more peeps) stands on a higher moral ground than protecting ones life, liberty, property and hard earned place in this life.

    I propose that when you have a real criminal in your sights, that it becomes your moralresponsibility to act in some way (maybe notshoot him, but definitely detain him if possible). If someone broke into my house, and i let him run away, and next week he kills my neighbor, friend, or family member or even a stranger that i never hear about... well... I had a chance to stop that course of events and chose not too. How then can i not consider their blood to be on my hands, even if partially? Had i detained him or stopped him, then he could not have advanced his evil dominion over this world. I consider these evil doers as if a demon in our midst, and to allow their advances falls upon us as a society as a whole.. or else we admit the ultimate role of sheeple and "just let the cops handle everything for us" ... hmmmm... that being the case, why do we need guns? Ba-a-a-HRmmm-Hrmmm (dammit i almost bleated there..). I understand many dont agree with me, it's just my take on it.

    Of course, we all have to follow current law, and doing otherwise is foolish. My viewpoint is as food for thought only, not a call to action or vigilantism.

    So was that guy in the OP guilty -- YES ... Sadly he was. But i still thank him for his contribution to a cleaner safer world.

    Bat


    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546

    Post imported post

    joeroket wrote:
    I never for once thought this guy was innocent or would get an acquittal. Using lethal force for a misdemeanor is not authorized by the law.
    There's a significant chance the person with the subwoofer had just committed a felony. However, it was not a felony endangering people. So, despite the wording of the law, a felony does not make justifiable homicide.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    123

    Post imported post

    Batousaii wrote:
    swatspyder wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    I thought he was guilty as @#$% as soon as the story came out. The guy was running away from the car and was shot in the back of the head.

    The shooters health was never at risk. He fired from an elevated position. All over some stuff in a car. Yeah... Great priorities.
    After dark in Texas, your property is yours to defend against theft with deadly force. We should adopt that law here in WA.
    +1 100% agree, and it should be everywhere.

    As much as it makes the softies gasp, i think that blatant burglars, thieves, muggers and home invaders are nothing more than diseased animals looking for prey to devour. They are evil and should be dispatched, and the law should be supporting those efforts.I am NOT talking about misplaced desperatesstealing food or cloths to help their kids survive the cold, hard times making people do desperate things, or someone in some bizarre situation acting out of their character for survival... I am talking about the ones that do it because it is simply their nature, for a thrill, because they like to hurt others, or just don't care about anyone else. We need to suck it up and deal with theREAL scum bags, as theyshould be afraid for their survival, not us as citizens fearing them. The softies have forced, bred and brainwashed the modern populace to believe that being a victim (and thus allowing criminals to victimise more peeps) stands on a higher moral ground than protecting ones life, liberty, property and hard earned place in this life.

    I propose that when you have a real criminal in your sights, that it becomes your moralresponsibility to act in some way (maybe notshoot him, but definitely detain him if possible). If someone broke into my house, and i let him run away, and next week he kills my neighbor, friend, or family member or even a stranger that i never hear about... well... I had a chance to stop that course of events and chose not too. How then can i not consider their blood to be on my hands, even if partially? Had i detained him or stopped him, then he could not have advanced his evil dominion over this world. I consider these evil doers as if a demon in our midst, and to allow their advances falls upon us as a society as a whole.. or else we admit the ultimate role of sheeple and "just let the cops handle everything for us" ... hmmmm... that being the case, why do we need guns? Ba-a-a-HRmmm-Hrmmm (dammit i almost bleated there..). I understand many dont agree with me, it's just my take on it.

    Of course, we all have to follow current law, and doing otherwise is foolish. My viewpoint is as food for thought only, not a call to action or vigilantism.

    So was that guy in the OP guilty -- YES ... Sadly he was. But i still thank him for his contribution to a cleaner safer world.

    Bat

    I often catch static for this viewpoint, but here goes.

    If you knew that a guy was going to die in 10 hours, and you killed him (not euthanasia), would you be guilty of murder?

    For everything I own, I've given a portion of my life. If I have a speaker worth $100, and I make $10/hour - that speaker is in effect worth 10 hours of my life. When you steal from me, you've stolen that period of my life, which I can never get back. It's no different than if the man murdered me, when I had 10 hours left to live.

    If it was up to me, this would not have been a crime.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Tawnos wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    I never for once thought this guy was innocent or would get an acquittal. Using lethal force for a misdemeanor is not authorized by the law.
    There's a significant chance the person with the subwoofer had just committed a felony. However, it was not a felony endangering people. So, despite the wording of the law, a felony does not make justifiable homicide.
    I doubt the dollar amount was $750.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546

    Post imported post

    joeroket wrote:
    Tawnos wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    I never for once thought this guy was innocent or would get an acquittal. Using lethal force for a misdemeanor is not authorized by the law.
    There's a significant chance the person with the subwoofer had just committed a felony. However, it was not a felony endangering people. So, despite the wording of the law, a felony does not make justifiable homicide.
    I doubt the dollar amount was $750.
    If he broke into the car, it's easy for it to have been malicious mischief of that amount. You priced out car repairs recently?

    Also, at the time of this incidence, had the bill been enacted that raised it from $250 - $750?

    *edit* to answer my own question, yes, they took place 23 days earlier.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Tawnos wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    Tawnos wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    I never for once thought this guy was innocent or would get an acquittal. Using lethal force for a misdemeanor is not authorized by the law.
    There's a significant chance the person with the subwoofer had just committed a felony. However, it was not a felony endangering people. So, despite the wording of the law, a felony does not make justifiable homicide.
    I doubt the dollar amount was $750.
    If he broke into the car, it's easy for it to have been malicious mischief of that amount. You priced out car repairs recently?

    Also, at the time of this incidence, had the bill been enacted that raised it from $250 - $750?

    *edit* to answer my own question, yes, they took place 23 days earlier.
    Do we know how they got into the car? I don't recall reading that anywhere. If it was a broken window then maybe it was over $750. If they popped the door cylinder then it was not over $750. If they used lock out device it was not over $ 750.

    By the statement of the shooter he could not see his car because it was under a car port. Hell did he even know for sure it was his car they took the speaker out of at the time he shot?
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    First off the owner was never in danger, nor was any other person at risk. You guys might think so, but I do not equate human life to property damage. Call the cops, yell at them, whatever, but why would you ever think shooting someone over a stereo is an okay thing?

    Second, the suspect was shot in the BACK of the head as he was leaving the scene. Shooting someone as they run away from a property crime is illegal, and should be illegal in all states.

    The vehicle owner was on a balcony. He wasn't remotely in danger, he was at an elevated position and could have just gone in his house. Why he shot, I don't know, but it was a stupid stupid thing to do, and he has to deal with the fact that he shot a man in the back over a few bucks.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    584

    Post imported post

    If we have a right to our property then we should be allowed to defend it. Criminals need to be afraid of the owner, if someone was stealing my computer and was getting away with it I would shoot him because I cannot afford to replace it and without it I wouldn't be able to afford anything. That's not to say you should always use lethal force but this guy worked hard so he could own his own car and the things inside of it. Should criminals feel safe knowing they can steal from others and the property owner cannot do anything if they run away with the goods, should they feel safe knowing the law protects them?

    I feel our justice system has a double standard because when police commit similar acts they get paid leave and then come back to there job.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    FunkTrooper wrote:
    I feel our justice system has a double standard because when police commit similar acts they get paid leave and then come back to there job.
    I never heard of a cop shooting a man in the back of the head when he ran off with a stereo. And if you can find any such incident I would bet serious money he did not get to go back to his job.

    The fact that you just said you were willing to shoot someone over a computer says a lot about you as an individual. I don't care if the person is a career criminal or a junky or what have you, but if all they are doing is commiting a property crime that had 0 risk to anyones health, I don't see how you could say that person deserves to die for it.

    So apparently in your opinion human life has a value of a couple hundred bucks.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    FunkTrooper wrote:
    I feel our justice system has a double standard because when police commit similar acts they get paid leave and then come back to there job.
    Uh....

    http://www.heraldnet.com/article/200...WS01/911059978
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  23. #23
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    David.Car wrote:
    FunkTrooper wrote:
    I feel our justice system has a double standard because when police commit similar acts they get paid leave and then come back to there job.
    I never heard of a cop shooting a man in the back of the head when he ran off with a stereo. And if you can find any such incident I would bet serious money he did not get to go back to his job.

    The fact that you just said you were willing to shoot someone over a computer says a lot about you as an individual. I don't care if the person is a career criminal or a junky or what have you, but if all they are doing is commiting a property crime that had 0 risk to anyones health, I don't see how you could say that person deserves to die for it.

    So apparently in your opinion human life has a value of a couple hundred bucks.
    If that human is a criminal who makes a living off of stealing other people's hard earned possessions, yes, it's worth absolutely nothing to me. It's very simple.....don't steal from people and you won't get shot. Why do you want to make excuses for criminals and validate their crimes?

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    compmanio365 wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    FunkTrooper wrote:
    I feel our justice system has a double standard because when police commit similar acts they get paid leave and then come back to there job.
    I never heard of a cop shooting a man in the back of the head when he ran off with a stereo. And if you can find any such incident I would bet serious money he did not get to go back to his job.

    The fact that you just said you were willing to shoot someone over a computer says a lot about you as an individual. I don't care if the person is a career criminal or a junky or what have you, but if all they are doing is commiting a property crime that had 0 risk to anyones health, I don't see how you could say that person deserves to die for it.

    So apparently in your opinion human life has a value of a couple hundred bucks.
    If that human is a criminal who makes a living off of stealing other people's hard earned possessions, yes, it's worth absolutely nothing to me. It's very simple.....don't steal from people and you won't get shot. Why do you want to make excuses for criminals and validate their crimes?

    There is a whole whole world between validating crime and validating killing a man over a radio.

    I had no problem with the individual getting a gun. I have no problem with him showing the gun to try and scare the crooks off. If one of the theifs then acted like he was pulling out a gun or something, then fine, again no problem. But to bring out the rifle, then shoot them in the back as they run away, over a radio?

    I can't believe anyone thinks that is a good shoot.

    Hell might as well shoot anyone that keys your car, knocks over your mail box, eggs and tps your house. Considering all of those can cause damage equal to or more then a $100 car stereo.

    Edit: As to any of you that say you are willing to pull a gun and shoot a person over a car radio (or your computer) I want nothing to do with you individuals. Your lack of value for any sort of human life, whether a criminals or not, is something I have an issue with. I pray that none of your kids get caught up in vandalism as a youth and get shot for it because "they are criminals" and deserve it for causing a hundred bucks of damage to someones property.


  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    584

    Post imported post

    Look, it's not about shooting someone over a computer if someone were to steal it I would lose my well being and could possibly end up homeless. I do value human life even those of criminals but I cannot abide someone who seeks to ruin my own life. I won't argue with your straw man other than to say I hope if I had children that they would never try to take someones well being from them because desperate men in desperate places do desperate things.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •