• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just a question

spikeypuck

imported post

So a buddy at work got into some trouble. Now being on probation, and a no weapons order.
I will be giving him a ride to and from work. If we happen to get pulled over, will we have an issue with my gun on my belt?

kenf729

imported post

I have been thinking on this subject for a few days, my personal thoughts are this: one your buddy is not in control of the gun. so based on that you shouldn't have any issues, further if you were to stop and get gas and leave the pistol in the car then you may have issues since you are no longer in control and your buddy has access to it...

maybe more folks will chime in on tghe subject...

PoppaGary

imported post

It probably depends on the actual wording of the probation conditions. Logically, it would seem no different than if he was in the same room or car as his, probably armed, probation officer...except for LE being special.

Gary

spikeypuck

imported post

Thank you for the replies.
I had the thought of the gas station as well. So what i ended up doing is. Since i have an old beat up jeep cherokee, and all the carpet has been replaced with rubber. I purchased a lock box, and bolted it to the floor in the back hatch area.
So at least if nothing else, if there is an issue. I will have that to show them.

Glockguy

imported post

If your gun is on your person and not "readily accessible" to the other person... aka in the glove box, between the seats, dashboard etc.. the your fine.. I have a few friends that are felons, and they have each asked there PO's if it was ok to be with me while i carried and they all said yes... Because it was not accessible to them.

spikeypuck

imported post

thank you. I typically don't take it off my belt. But its nice to know someone else has looked into this..