• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bellingham Walmart

tyguy808

imported post

Yesterday my wife and I were at our local Walmart. I was OCing my PT111 MP. We wandered through the whole store, never know what you're gonna find. We were in there for the better part of an hour. At the checkout, we bought some stamps that needed to be brought up from another register. The manager, Mike, brought them over. He looked down at my sidearm, and said "oh, thats cute" kinda sarcastically. (side note: he used to be my neighbor) He thanked me for having my weapon in a holster, and, noted that the last "crazy guy" he seen with a gun in there just had it laying on his belt "no holster". He also remarked that he ejected that guy and later got in some trouble. I asked hom ifit was my friend R.S. (sorry man dont know if they all know your name), he steered away from that question. If it was my friend R.S., I know that he uses a formed holster (not sure exactly what kind, I'll let you chime in on that one), versus my crappy Uncle Mike's paddle holster, his side arm does reveal quite a bit more.

I just thought I would share an interesting day.

P.S. -

R.S. I'll be shopping for one of that type of holster soon, let me know where you got it so I can shop for one. Or maybe we can go together when I get back from work.

antispam540

imported post

If a level 2 serpa makes people more comfortable *and* is safer in an encounter, please don't get a formed holster just to piss people off.

Not that you would do it for that reason, but there are people who would.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

antispam540 wrote:
If a level 2 serpa makes people more comfortable *and* is safer in an encounter, please don't get a formed holster just to piss people off.

Yeah, why do people do that?

There really should be a lawmandating a proper holster for gun carriers. Nothing too stringent, just a minimum requirement of some kind. We could call it Plaxico's Law.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
HankT wrote:
antispam540 wrote:

There really should be a lawmandating a proper holster for gun carriers. Nothing too stringent, just a minimum requirement of some kind. We could call it Plaxico's Law.
Yes, of course, we should have more government mandated restrictions of the carrying of firearms.
What would be wrong with a law mandating some minimum level of holster for gun carriers?

Seems like a win-win-win.

Stoked

imported post

I hate to sound like a fing idiot, but what's a formed holster? Something like that one guy on here has where he bent some pieces of tin together to hold the trigger guard to his belt or something?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
HankT wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
HankT wrote:
antispam540 wrote:

Yes, of course, we should have more government mandated restrictions of the carrying of firearms.
What would be wrong with a law mandating some minimum level of holster for gun carriers?

Seems like a win-win-win.
What part of "Shall not be infringed upon" is so unclear?

Are you asserting that a law, if it were passed, would be an "infringement" of 2A?

That's a stretttttttttccccccccccchhhhhh.

NavyLT wrote:
Say a person can't afford the government mandated holster... If we let the government mandate holster type/construction, whatever, the government then has the ability to price that holster right out of reach of some people.
The suggestion is not to have a particular holster, just a holster. There are hundreds of holster manufacturers now. The government isn't going to control them so as to raise the price. Another stretch.

NavyLT wrote:
Already in most states the government mandated training and tax (in the form of a license) placed upon the privilege to carry concealed makes the monetary cost too prohibitive for some people to be able to afford it.
So, uhm, is this other training and licensing also an "infringement" of 2A?

If so, wouldn't that training and licensing be, uhm, unconstitutional?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Already in most states the government mandated training and tax (in the form of a license) placed upon the privilege to carry concealed makes the monetary cost too prohibitive for some people to be able to afford it.
So, uhm, is this other training and licensing also an "infringement" of 2A?

If so, wouldn't that training and licensing be, uhm, unconstitutional?
Yes and yes, especially in states such as CT, OK, TX, FL and GA that do not have a free open carry alternative such as Washington, what's you point? You don't consider a person being forced to pay for training and licensing in order to carry a gun an infringement and unconstitutional?

Hmmm, so wouldn't all those states provisions for training and licensing (How many, 40 or so?) ALL ARE INFRINGING ON 2A? What's your legal basis for asserting that?

Any cases? Any decisions? Any state had their training/licensing rule unconstitutional?

tyguy808

imported post

OMFG!!!! Who keeps letting the ANTI's onto this site..... HankT go find an anti-website to go make yourself feel better. Where they will have more in common with you so you won't have so many arguements. They'll agree with everything you say.

tyguy808

imported post

You'd think that a grown "man" would have better things to do with his time. I mean, there are sites for guys just like him, i think barrackobama.com is one of them.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
You'd think that a grown "man" would have better things to do with his time. I mean, there are sites for guys just like him, i think barrackobama.com is one of them.

Do you think that training and licensing (permitting) requirements for carry in many states is an "infringment" on 2A?

Are such requirements unconstitutional, do you think, tg808?

tyguy808

imported post

Besides all that, the reason I was coming on here again tonight.

I was thinking of getting a "better" holster because it seems like my holster takes too long to draw. I have to pop a retention strap, that is still really tight. Even after over a hundred times in and out, that button is still super stiff. A strapless holster, like a Serpa, would be ideal for myself.

I wouldn't be doing it to piss anyone off, just for my own comfort. I can get to it quicker should I ever need it.

Trigger Dr

imported post

OK guys, let's take it easy on Old Hank... Really, if you think about it, people like Hank are necessary to have around. If it were not for the "Hanks" of the world, complacency would set in and then where would we be?

Hank, I do appreciate the fact that you troll here. It serves a couple purposes.

1. Humor :D

2. Keeps our guard up:question:

3. Allows us an opportunity to realize how easy it is for an "Anti" to post here.:exclaim:

tyguy808

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
OK guys, let's take it easy on Old Hank... Really, if you think about it, people like Hank are necessary to have around. If it were not for the "Hanks" of the world, complacency would set in and then where would we be?

Hank, I do appreciate the fact that you troll here. It serves a couple purposes.

1. Humor :D

2. Keeps our guard up:question:

3. Allows us an opportunity to realize how easy it is for an "Anti" to post here.:exclaim:
LMFAO! thanks doc.

Hendo

imported post

So - I know this has been brought up before -- - - I agree with HankT in re:to a training req. for a CPL.

I personally think he was yankin' all your chains re: the holster bit. IMHO.

I personally (and I know many of you have somewhere along the line) have seen some that I would notwant to be around when they are handling/shooting their weapons. Like what's his name says - "You can't fix stupid" and hell if I'm leaving this earth at their hands.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Hendo wrote:
So - I know this has been brought up before -- - - I agree with HankT in re:to a training req. for a CPL.

I personally think he was yankin' all your chains re: the holster bit. IMHO.

I personally (and I know many of you have somewhere along the line) have seen some that I would notwant to be around when they are handling/shooting their weapons. Like what's his name says - "You can't fix stupid" and hell if I'm leaving this earth at their hands.

Plus, we can read how some of these people actually think.

Kind of unsettlling, sometimes.... :uhoh:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

antispam540 wrote:
What is a "formed" holster, and why would it upset someone?

antispam540

imported post

DrMark wrote:
antispam540 wrote:
What is a "formed" holster, and why would it upset someone?
Read the OP. The manager says he saw someone with a "gun attached to his belt". What I was referring to as a "formed holster" was a loop of leather formed tightly around the slide of a gun and then stiffened, so that it can hold the gun in place without covering the majority of the frame. The reason it upsets people is because it looks less safe, and "OMG, the gun is more EXPOSED". Plus the thing has as close to zero retention as you can get without sticking it in your pants.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
Yesterday my wife and I were at our local Walmart. I was OCing my PT111 MP. We wandered through the whole store, never know what you're gonna find. We were in there for the better part of an hour. At the checkout, we bought some stamps that needed to be brought up from another register. The manager, Mike, brought them over. He looked down at my sidearm, and said "oh, thats cute" kinda sarcastically. (side note: he used to be my neighbor) He thanked me for having my weapon in a holster, and, noted that the last "crazy guy" he seen with a gun in there just had it laying on his belt "no holster". He also remarked that he ejected that guy and later got in some trouble. I asked hom ifit was my friend R.S. (sorry man dont know if they all know your name), he steered away from that question. If it was my friend R.S., I know that he uses a formed holster (not sure exactly what kind, I'll let you chime in on that one), versus my crappy Uncle Mike's paddle holster, his side arm does reveal quite a bit more.

I just thought I would share an interesting day.

P.S. -

R.S. I'll be shopping for one of that type of holster soon, let me know where you got it so I can shop for one. Or maybe we can go together when I get back from work.

Yea that was probably me, Mike got in trouble for a lot more thanjust ejectingme, he is very anti, and also for saying he is the manager, he is not...Terry is. Terry told me he had to have a stern talk with Mike. Terry's name and number is on the bottom of the Wal-mart reciepts he told me if I have any problem to give him a call, he is a real good guy. I have been there dozens of times since then and no problems, of course Mike don't look me in the eye and avoids being int the same area as me.

In no way was my gun just in my belt, this tells you the mind set of this guy. My gun is in a Serpa style holster made by blackhawk, bought it at allegience arms/ survival solutions, would love to go with ya when you get back, give me a ring.

Good story, glad to have some more OC'ers here in town. Let's get together when you get in back into town. If the wife and baby need a place to hang they can come over too if they like.