Thread: Crossing the Res on way to Valley of Fire

Post imported post

I am pretty sure we will be driving on Indian land on the way to the park. Anyone have a clue about the law? Can I keep my firearm on me in the car while pasing through the res?

Post imported post

I don't Havea cite, and wish I could find one. however I have made it a practice to not pull off the highway in indian land, and trat it like going over Hoover Dam. I believe the highway belongs to the state, so the law would apply as well. just an opinion for what it is worth,

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I know this reservation is in Nevada, but this question is probably better answered in the Arizona forums where there is a lot more reservation land.

I'm pretty sure DON'T TREAD is right - as long as you're on the road, state law applies. But if you stop on their land, even for gas, you'd be subject to reservation law.

Does anyone even know what the tribal law is regarding firearms?

Post imported post

I believe it's true ,while on the Res. in Oregon I was told keep two wheels on the pavement or you come under Tribel law which I was told goes somewhat according to Federal Statutes. Which would be about like going in a Post Office or Court House. Be very careful!

Post imported post

We went and no one was stopped or anything. We do have other issues with signs in the park. I am going to start another thread on that issue though.

Post imported post

Just got a email from the chief of police of the tribe. CCW is a go on the land. I am waiting for a reply from him for the OK to post the letter on the forum.

Post imported post

Well the Fellow got back to me and said to post any letters I have to contact tribal admin. Here is the Police # and name if anyone ever wishes to call for more info.
    Eric Seitz #276
    Chief of Police (702) 865-2828

Here is a edit version of the note he sent me,using my words so you can get the flavor of it.

CCW located within the boundaries of the Moapa River Indian Reservation. having a permit and having your firearm concealed is allowed, do not openly display at anytime. Be aware entering any business's or establishments, as they may have prohibitions on firearms or weapons.

Post imported post

Nice work !!

Post imported post

Thanks for the info. I guess each Reservation may be different?