• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off Duty LEO open carry?

Gordon Shumway

imported post

I sometimes see off-duty LEOs open-carrying without their badges showing. The first sight makes me uneasy because I don't know if they are some macho cowboy showing off or a LEO exercising his macho look. I am CCW permit.

What is the rules for this?

TFED12

imported post

How do you know if they are off duty leo if they are not displaying a badge?

If they are off duty, maybe they are just practicing their civic rights.

So, IfYOU have ever told anyone aboutYOUR ccw, you are being a cowboy or mr. macho according to your statement.

Please, go troll someplace else.

Gordon Shumway

imported post

TFED12 wrote:

So, IfYOU have ever told anyone aboutYOUR ccw, you are being a cowboy or mr. macho according to your statement.

Solar and TFED12

I have been legally carrying every day for 30 years in Arkansas.

You two obviously don't know the law and seemingly do have something macho to prove. It's time to grow up and re-assess your true motives and stop acting like children. This is NOT a game.

Packer fan

imported post

toGordon Shumway wrote:
TFED12 wrote:

Solar and TFED12

You two obviously don't know the law and seemingly do have something macho to prove. It's time to grow up and re-assess your true motives and stop acting like children. This is NOT a game.

Who care how long you have been carrying? You never answered the question. How do you know they are off duty LEO's?

So what if they are, I wish we all could OC if we so choose or not.

I contacted my State Rep to vote for OC if the bill would have made it out of comity.

I would prefer to OC in Arkansas, and you are right this is not a game it is a God given right to defend my family anyway I see fit to do so.

The LOE's have a right to defend themselves off duty just like they have a right on duty. The next time you see an off duty LOE OCing go to him and make a citizens arrest since you know the laws.

Again the only advantage I see to CC is notto offend people like you.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Packer fan wrote:
Gordon Shumway wrote:
Solar and TFED12

Who care how long you have been carrying? You never answered the question. How do you know they are off duty LEO's?

So what if they are, I wish we all could OC if we so choose or not.

I contacted my State Rep to vote for OC if the bill would have made it out of comity.

I would prefer to OC in Arkansas, and you are right this is not a game it is a God given right to defend my family anyway I see fit to do so.

The LOE's have a right to defend themselves off duty just like they have a right on duty. The next time you see an off duty LOE OCing go to him and make a citizens arrest since you know the laws.

Again the only advantage I see to CC is notto offend people like you.
Some might consider that a privilege. :)

Yata hey

AbNo

imported post

You know guys, this is why we can't have nice things.

Remember, some people aren't as expressive as a lot of you, particularly on the internet.

Maybe some of you should quit jumping all over people that have <25 posts, at least until blatant trolling exists.

Not everyone practices the lingo right out the door, FFS.

Edit: See also: "Tragic boating accident" and various other colloquialisms we use around here.

razorback2003

imported post

Certified LEO's may carry however they want in Arkansas. It does not matter whether they are on or off duty.

Here is the relevant code:

Pursuant to section 5-73-120(c), it is a defense to prosecution under section 5-73-120 that at the time of the act of carrying a handgun, the person is:

A certified law enforcement officer

Everyone goes through the academies to work as a police officer in Arkansas, so that is how they become certified.

I hope that answers your question.

Gordon Shumway

imported post

CLEO who choose to open carry when off duty should have their badges in reasonable view of the public when doing so. Not doing so is grossly irresponsible in a NON-open carry jurisdiction, as it is obvious that it will cause problems with the general public.

Otherwise, how would the public know that the open-carrier is not some illegal cowboy looking for a gun-free-zone to gather a body count?

UPDATE: 1054 hrs.

I just called the ASP headquarters in LR and also my local county and local city departments.

When open-carrying off-duty, a LEO is required to carry his badge in reasonable view to the public when doing so. The belt clip next to the weapon is considered reasonable even though anopen jacket orunbuttonedshirt might cover the badge at times.

It is noted that in specific jurisdictions, that if the specific local department does not require open badges for their employees, that that open-carry-NO-badge priviledge is extended to those officers only when they arecarrying within their employer's designated jurisdictions.

I was also toldby each jurisdiction thatif a badge is not visible that it is appropriate for any citizen to request to see that badge.

patriotthad

imported post

Come to an OC website and blast OC! As a law enforcement officer, I wish MORE people would OC. OCers are not trying to be macho or cowboy any more than you CCers are trying to "sneakaround" and pretend to be James Bond or Dick Tracy. Why do you CC, do you have something to hide? Just some of the anti gun arguments against CC.

razorback2003

imported post

There is no state law in Arkansas that REQUIRES a certified law enforcement officer to display a badge on his belt when openly carrying. I posted the state law. They generally carry their dept ID with everything else like DL when off duty...and sometimes badge...the dept ID is their 'license' so to speak that allows them to carry on or off duty however they want to carry under state law.

Hunters may openly or conceal carry handguns when going to from or while hunting. I've never had a problem when truly going to and from hunting with a handgun on my belt in the open during gun deer season with a 4 inch barrel 9mm.

Licensed security guards may openly or conceal carry handguns while in performance of their work. This usually includes going to /from work...and lunch breaks...Most licensed security guards in AR wear uniforms but a few do not.

Those who are on a journey (defined by case law)...may carry a handgun however they wish as a weapon. I've never had a problem with a handgun in my console..in the glovebox or wherever before getting a license/permit when in Arkansas and the police found out that I was actually on a 'journey'.

There is no law that requires concealing when carrying a handgun when say walking in the woods for 'snake protection' or plinking for fun. In this case you are not carrying the handgun as a weapon with intent to employ it as a weaponagainst a person. You are carrying it for recreation...fun...target shooting...snake protection...you may conceal or openly carry. I have openly carried in such cases and never had a problem when walking from my homedown the road to the woods and back.

I hope that information helps...the only people in AR required to 'conceal' are those carrying on a concealed handgun license or under a reciprocal agreement from another state....I hope that helps.

AbNo

imported post

patriotthad wrote:
Come to an OC website and blast OC! As a law enforcement officer, I wish MORE people would OC. OCers are not trying to be macho or cowboy any more than you CCers are trying to "sneakaround" and pretend to be James Bond or Dick Tracy. Why do you CC, do you have something to hide? Just some of the anti gun arguments against CC.
Oh, settle down, Thad.

I think what the OP was trying to say was that it did not seem right for LEOs to be OCing in a state that (debatably) does not allow OC while not making it known it is legal for them to do so.

Basically, he is worried that people may be violating state law, and can not tell if they are or are not doing so.

Man, I'm glad I moved to an OC state, that's all I can say.

Though I wouldn't mind going back out to Black Springs some time. :)

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

Gordon Shumway wrote:
how would the public know that the open-carrier is not some illegal cowboy looking for a gun-free-zone to gather a body count?

You have offically proven to me that you are Anti-Gun.

Not one person on this site talks like that!

You definition: Open carry= illegal cowboy looking to kill

That is not true. I have never killed anyone and I open carry everywhere. I do not CC anymore unless legally obligated.

You need to remove yourself from this forum. You are talking just like those psychos with the Brady Campaign and this is a PRO-GUN site.

Besides, IF an OCer is a criminal looking for a body count, there are plenty of law-biding gun carriers that should step up and end the situation. That is the whole point!

A criminal can get a gun. We know this. So why restrict the good guys from having guns to protect themselves and others?