• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Smoke medical pot, lose your [permit]?

Should those who legally use medicinal marijuana be denied a permit?

• Yes, don't let those stoners carry!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kito109654

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Sheriffs from Washington and Jackson counties say, though, that they want clarification from the court on whether federal gun laws prohibiting illegal drug users from possessing handguns applies to people who have permits to use marijuana for medical reasons.

I think the operative phrase here is "illegal drug users." As far as I'm concerned that's the end of the story on a legal level.

Now on a moral, medicinal-user level, I think discretion needs to be used - the same way that discretion should be used by those who consume alcohol and own firearms.

My personal rule for myself is to not drink and carry in public...at all. If I'm going to have a drink at a restaurant or whatever I would lock my pistol in my vehicle, though I haven't chosen to do that to date. As others have said, my safety is more important to me than a drink. At home I might have a few drinks and leave my pistol on my hip. That's just how I handle it. If I used medical marijuana I think I would handle it similarly. Impaired judgement is not something to take lightly, I think.

_________
PS. Just a fellow PNWerner dropping in and saying hello since you gents are "local." :) Great article and thread.