Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any idea what caliber this might be?

Post imported post

It says "Fabrica De Armas" right under that it says "Cvied <and what happears to be a backwards C?< . And under that it says 1924.

Bolt action, flip up sight, don't know what it is, was bought at an auction many, many years ago.

Any ideas? I tried google and there are similar looking rifles, but not exactly.

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

Post imported post

Any pictures from the side?
    Full length, right side.
    Action plus an inch or two at each end right side and top. Not blurry.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

Apears to be a south american contract mauser. The bolt is very similar to the 1891 argentine.

First off that stock has been sporterized, and the forend cut down. My guess is it is also missing a front barrel band, and upper handguard wood, as were the style of the time.

So if that helps,

Three possibilities come to mind, in the order of my guesses,

1. 7.65 Arg
    2. 7mm mauser = 7X57
    3. 8mm mauser

hitting the books now, my best guess is it is Spanish in origin, most likely started life as a Model 1916 in 7X57 caliber. Again, guessing on my part, by not having hands on. But it seems to match pretty darn close except for the sporterization.

Measurements of the action, barrel length, overall length, would also help to narrow it down.

Post imported post

Do you know where I could go for a casting? Champion Arms, wants $50 to cast it. Or could I just go order some dummy rounds and see which one fits???

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

I googled "Fabrica de Armas" and discovered that you have a Spanish Mauser; probably in 7x57mm.

I could be wrong about the caliber but it IS a Spanish Mauser. And the word you see isn't Cvied followed by a backwards C. It's an armory stamp and says OviedO. If you try Googling that word it might help.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

They started as 7X57mm and were later converted to 7.62X51 Nato caliber.

Post imported post

Take a look at this auction,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=145799644

reciever markings match up within reason, so does the ladder type sight.

Post imported post

the auction is for a 7MM. 1916. Looks very similiar, that was what I was seeing when I googled the weapon.

So would it be 7X57 or 7.62X51 Nato?

Where could I go to get the ammo?

The barrel is good condition and is still rifled, so I might try it out if I can figure out what ammo it takes.

Thanks for the help guys!

Post imported post

Looks a lot like my Mauser 1891 and mine is 7.65ARG...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/22082.html

Post imported post

is that hard to find ammo? where could I get it at? I might just pick up a few rounds and stick some in...UNLESS someone comes out of the woods and screams and yells and lectures me on how that is stupid.

Post imported post

http://seattleguns.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4259

Was just looking to pick up 50rds off him... What it looks like you have is a Mauser that has been "sporterized."

I would not suggest just sticking a round down the tube and trying it, there are gun stores that can give you info, and try google... With enough looking you will find out what you have there.

Do you have any clearer pics?

Post imported post

holy monkey, .40-.50 a round.

Post imported post

My 8MM Rem Mag is about $1.25-$2.00/round, and that thing is impossible to find ammo for anymore... So $0.40 isn't a bad deal...

Post imported post

PM me, I have a few 7.65 Arg rounds you can have.

I also have 14, 185 gr and 20, 200 gr 8mm Rem Mag that I would let go for about $45.00

Post imported post

Poosharker wrote:
    holy monkey, .40-.50 a round.
    About what .223 remington is going for nowadays.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Post imported post

I'll try to get clearer pics soon.

State Researcher

Post imported post

slug the bore and measure it with calipers. If it had been rebored to 7.62 NATO by a military it would be marked as such. It's most likely one of the 7mm calibers as others have mentioned.

Post imported post

It looks like a 7mm Mauser to me.

I'd just find a buddy with some "snap caps" and see what fits to get an idea.

I would still measure it and all that beforehand though so I wouldn't use the wrong caliber. I generally take all of my complicated gun questions to a local gunsmith I know.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Post imported post

so.....anybody here got any exotic caliber snap caps I use for a couple minutes?

WOW that took a lot of resizing and reuploading.... heres MORE CLEAR PICTURES!

Post imported post

That looks a lot like a 1891 action...it looks like the rest has been sporterized, cut down stock, bent bolt and shortened barrel. That looks to be a stock that was made, because I don't see the serial on the right side, under the breach. There are some minor differences, like the bolt release tab, but all in all look exactly like my 1981's action. Could be a variation of a 1891, because there is a ton of stamping that I don't have, I think they made a officers version, but I can't find anything more then mention of it. Mine is about 90% original, with a slightly shortened stock, where it is shortened to just above the upper swivel, and I am missing the upper stock, maybe removed to make it look more like a sport rifle. I would go to a gun smith, or gun shop just to see if they have anything further.

For info, there is a lever, just back from the breach, on the left side. Pull that tab out and the bolt will come out when you draw it back.

Post imported post

i have the same 7mm mauser. the date on mine is 1906.

i shoot 140 gr pmc cartridges. will put a hole in a bull dozer blade.

Post imported post

AH HA! So you are the culprit vandalizing the construction vehicles all around the community! I shall go collect my reward now and turn you in. :celebrate

But anyways, I'll just have to go find out what this rifle will shoot through .

Post imported post

I have one of those Spanish Mausers that I bought maybe 20 years ago. Big 5 was selling them and they were the ones that had been rebarrelled to 7.62x51 NATO. I just went and looked at mine, and if you look on the left side of the receiver right by where the gas relief hole is, look for a faint 7.62 CAL stamping. That's what mine has. That should tell you if it's one of the ones that has been rebarreled to 7.62x51 NATO. If it is , do NOT fire .308 in it. The steel is not strong enough for .308 pressures.

Post imported post

the safty on mine is kind of hard to set to on but the bote lock is smooth to set. both are easy to unlock. must be a burr on it. last box of shells cost 24.95.

i don't make it a habit to shoot bull dozers but this one tried to attack me.

Post imported post

Rick,
    There is no stamping on this one, so either it is an original, or the stamper got lazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast