• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone have any idea what caliber this might be?

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

It says "Fabrica De Armas" right under that it says "Cvied <and what happears to be a backwards C?< . And under that it says 1924.

Bolt action, flip up sight, don't know what it is, was bought at an auction many, many years ago.
IMG00002.jpg

IMG00001.jpg

IMG00003.jpg

IMG00004.jpg

Any ideas? I tried google and there are similar looking rifles, but not exactly.

jeeper1

imported post

Any pictures from the side?
Full length, right side.
Action plus an inch or two at each end right side and top. Not blurry.

triehl27

imported post

Apears to be a south american contract mauser. The bolt is very similar to the 1891 argentine.

First off that stock has been sporterized, and the forend cut down. My guess is it is also missing a front barrel band, and upper handguard wood, as were the style of the time.

So if that helps,

Three possibilities come to mind, in the order of my guesses,

1. 7.65 Arg
2. 7mm mauser = 7X57
3. 8mm mauser

hitting the books now, my best guess is it is Spanish in origin, most likely started life as a Model 1916 in 7X57 caliber. Again, guessing on my part, by not having hands on. But it seems to match pretty darn close except for the sporterization.

Measurements of the action, barrel length, overall length, would also help to narrow it down.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Do you know where I could go for a casting? Champion Arms, wants $50 to cast it. Or could I just go order some dummy rounds and see which one fits???

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I googled "Fabrica de Armas" and discovered that you have a Spanish Mauser; probably in 7x57mm.

I could be wrong about the caliber but it IS a Spanish Mauser. And the word you see isn't Cvied followed by a backwards C. It's an armory stamp and says OviedO. If you try Googling that word it might help.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

the auction is for a 7MM. 1916. Looks very similiar, that was what I was seeing when I googled the weapon.

So would it be 7X57 or 7.62X51 Nato?

Where could I go to get the ammo?

The barrel is good condition and is still rifled, so I might try it out if I can figure out what ammo it takes.

Thanks for the help guys!

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

is that hard to find ammo? where could I get it at? I might just pick up a few rounds and stick some in...UNLESS someone comes out of the woods and screams and yells and lectures me on how that is stupid.

MadHatter66

imported post

http://seattleguns.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4259

Was just looking to pick up 50rds off him... What it looks like you have is a Mauser that has been "sporterized."

I would not suggest just sticking a round down the tube and trying it, there are gun stores that can give you info, and try google... With enough looking you will find out what you have there.

Do you have any clearer pics?

Trigger Dr

imported post

PM me, I have a few 7.65 Arg rounds you can have.

I also have 14, 185 gr and 20, 200 gr 8mm Rem Mag that I would let go for about $45.00

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

slug the bore and measure it with calipers. If it had been rebored to 7.62 NATO by a military it would be marked as such. It's most likely one of the 7mm calibers as others have mentioned.

killchain

imported post

It looks like a 7mm Mauser to me.

I'd just find a buddy with some "snap caps" and see what fits to get an idea.

I would still measure it and all that beforehand though so I wouldn't use the wrong caliber. I generally take all of my complicated gun questions to a local gunsmith I know.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

so.....anybody here got any exotic caliber snap caps I use for a couple minutes?
100_1737.jpg

100_1738.jpg

100_1739.jpg

100_1740.jpg

100_1741.jpg

100_1742.jpg

100_1743.jpg

100_1744.jpg

100_1745.jpg

WOW that took a lot of resizing and reuploading.... heres MORE CLEAR PICTURES!

MadHatter66

imported post

That looks a lot like a 1891 action...it looks like the rest has been sporterized, cut down stock, bent bolt and shortened barrel. That looks to be a stock that was made, because I don't see the serial on the right side, under the breach. There are some minor differences, like the bolt release tab, but all in all look exactly like my 1981's action. Could be a variation of a 1891, because there is a ton of stamping that I don't have, I think they made a officers version, but I can't find anything more then mention of it. Mine is about 90% original, with a slightly shortened stock, where it is shortened to just above the upper swivel, and I am missing the upper stock, maybe removed to make it look more like a sport rifle. I would go to a gun smith, or gun shop just to see if they have anything further.

For info, there is a lever, just back from the breach, on the left side. Pull that tab out and the bolt will come out when you draw it back.