• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Examiner.com: Virginia incumbents' losses explained by weakness on gun rights

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m11d8-Virginia-incumbents-losses-explained-by-weakness-on-gun-rights

SNIP

Last Tuesday’s election in Virginia has been reported by some as a vote of no confidence in the Obama administration. Maybe it was – but a closer look indicates that seven of the nine incumbents who lost were caught flat footed on gun rights.

. . .

Philip Van Cleave, President of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. feels that "the results show that this election was open season on anti-gun incumbents. The antis have lost at least five reliable anti-gun votes in the already pro-gun House of Delegates, and their perennial bill to restrict private firearm sales at gun shows has now assumed room temperature and is already developing rigor mortis."

Alexcabbie

imported post

As you know, I live in the City of Alexandria proper. The Port Packet/Gazette 's interpretation of the result was (seeing that the Republicn challenger to the State Assembly had been beaten by the Dem incumbent was: "ALEXANDRIA REPULSES REPUBLICANS".

Whoop whoop.

The libs in this city are INSANE. I had two customers in the same apartment bulding who said that Ubamanista campaign workers visited them before last year's elections and warned them against voting for anyone but Obama. And the Alexandria and Arlington Democrat organizations keep saying the same thing: Since Virginia gets so much tax revenue from (Anti and lib infested) Northern Virginia, then why doesn't NoVa get some special consideration (like pre-emption of local gun laws)?

Well, it is really wierd that Virginia's low taxes and minimal government interference with business added to Northern Virginia's proximity to Washington made the area so prosperous. As a matter of fact Nothern Virginians DO put a disproportionate amount of revenue into the State coffers. Yet we are not a majority of the State's population. So the Anti/'Libs who mostly run NoVa want special priveleges; because they pay more taxes; even if they ARE a minority. Wow. Can you imagine what they would say if a bunch of rich pro-gunners wanted an exemption on zoning for gun shops?? I am out of time and words. :banghead:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
As you know, I live in the City of Alexandria proper. The Port Packet/Gazette 's interpretation of the result was (seeing that the Republicn challenger to the State Assembly had been beaten by the Dem incumbent was: "ALEXANDRIA REPULSES REPUBLICANS".

Whoop whoop.

The libs in this city are INSANE. I had two customers in the same apartment bulding who said that Ubamanista campaign workers visited them before last year's elections and warned them against voting for anyone but Obama. And the Alexandria and Arlington Democrat organizations keep saying the same thing: Since Virginia gets so much tax revenue from (Anti and lib infested) Northern Virginia, then why doesn't NoVa get some special consideration (like pre-emption of local gun laws)?

Well, it is really wierd that Virginia's low taxes and minimal government interference with business added to Northern Virginia's proximity to Washington made the area so prosperous. As a matter of fact Nothern Virginians DO put a disproportionate amount of revenue into the State coffers. Yet we are not a majority of the State's population. So the Anti/'Libs who mostly run NoVa want special priveleges; because they pay more taxes; even if they ARE a minority. Wow. Can you imagine what they would say if a bunch of rich pro-gunners wanted an exemption on zoning for gun shops?? I am out of time and words. :banghead:
At least your State's circus is transparent. The bread probably isn't, tho....

Steve B

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
I hope this happens in Wisconsin.
Get the word out. Talk, talk, talk. Get as many people on board as you can. Those who don't vote have no reason to complain about the election results.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I have not yet heard of any anti-gun bills beingintroduced in Virginia - I wonder if the anti-gunners and their favorite politicians go the message from last November?

Damiansar-15

imported post

This is great stuff...I hope the same happens in other States that I frequent, e.g. Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma...I am extremely tired of Open Carry States like Kansas, that allow local cities to deploy unconstitutional ordinances banning OC and CC.

Steve B

imported post

Damiansar-15 wrote:
This is great stuff...I hope the same happens in other States that I frequent, e.g. Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma...I am extremely tired of Open Carry States like Kansas, that allow local cities to deploy unconstitutional ordinances banning OC and CC.
good thing about Virginia, locals can NOT pass ordinances pre-empting state law in regards to CC. They can with OC

Alexcabbie

imported post

Steve B wrote:
Damiansar-15 wrote:
good thing about Virginia, locals can NOT pass ordinances pre-empting state law in regards to CC. They can with OC
Even in this regard the exemptions are few and restricted. It used to be illegal to carry a loaded firearm on foot in the City of Alexandria, but when pre-emption was reviewed and resurrected that restriction became void. We still have a few cops here who have not goten the memo, however; but a call to a supervisor is educational for those.

Steve B

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Damiansar-15 wrote:
Even in this regard the exemptions are few and restricted. It used to be illegal to carry a loaded firearm on foot in the City of Alexandria, but when pre-emption was reviewed and resurrected that restriction became void. We still have a few cops here who have not goten the memo, however; but a call to a supervisor is educational for those.
Maybe ALL pre-emption will be removed regarding OC and CC. That is ONE reason I like living in the southwestern part of the state, a lot less problems. Local LE here are more used to seeing it. Don't see OC near as much now that we became "Shall Issue" but still do some.

KansasMustang

imported post

Damiansar-15 wrote:
That would be Wichita I know for sure and? where else...probably Topeka, but I'm not sure. I seldom go to either cities except through them.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Steve B wrote:
Damiansar-15 wrote:
Cite please! VA's preemption statute has nothing to do with open/concealed carry.

Steve B

imported post

Mike wrote:
VA's preemption statute has nothing to do with open/concealed carry.
huh? see 15.2-915.
§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.
A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.
Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.
The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.
B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.
C. In addition to any other relief provided, the court may award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging (i) an ordinance, resolution, or motion as being in conflict with this section or (ii) an administrative action taken in bad faith as being in conflict with this section.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Steve B wrote:
Mike wrote:
VA's preemption statute has nothing to do with open/concealed carry.
huh? see 15.2-915.
§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.
A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.
Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.
The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.
B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.
C. In addition to any other relief provided, the court may award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging (i) an ordinance, resolution, or motion as being in conflict with this section or (ii) an administrative action taken in bad faith as being in conflict with this section.
Steve B, Notice it does not mention method of carry.
Thanks for the assist with the code number Mike.