• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

madison

cheezhed

imported post

Has anybody heard what has happened to Travis Yates in Madison? I have been out of touch on this and many other things going on as I have been working nights.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

cheezhed wrote:
Has anybody heard what has happened to Travis Yates in Madison? I have been out of touch on this and many other things going on as I have been working nights.
Same Ole Same Ole, more than likely nothing, just like all of the others.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I believe that is because it was a municipal citation and was more than likely paid.
Some municipalities do not enter the info in ccap the only submit it to NCIC and some will not enter the info until after the court case is final.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Mr. Yates' case is still pending. There is a hearing scheduled for December 7th at 10:30 a.m. in Madison municipal court.

gbu28

imported post

CCAP is for circuit court cases-things charged at the State level. State Patrol, Sheriff's dept, local police if charging a State charge. It's possible I suppose that some small municipalities report through CCAP but I've never seen it.

Travis was probably charged with a municipal violation so his case isn't showing in CCAP. Just a guess but I would put a small wager that the State declined to charge at their level so the municipality went ahead and did it, albeit for less penalties.

edit:
yeah, I looked for Madison as well and didn't find much. The only municipal court site I know of in Wisconsin is Milwaukee's, but of course I haven't done an in depth search of other communities, so I could be way off.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Mr. Yates' case is still pending. There is a hearing scheduled for December 7th at 10:30 a.m. in Madison municipal court.
Interesting choice for the date, there aye?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Cases in Madison's municipal court do not show up on CCAP. I got my information by calling the court and asking. Simple as that.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

As far as I know, Travis Yates' hearing is still on for Monday the 7th. at 10:30 a.m.

I plan to show up to observe.

Madison Municipal Court is in Room 201 of the City-County Building, 210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. -- one block from the State Capitol.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

December 7th, a most infamous day in history. In Northern Minnesota, where I was born and raised, in addition to remembering our brave soldiers and sailors that died for our freedom we Finns also celebrate it as the day Pearl Maki got bombed in Two Harbours.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Travis Yates update: His case is still pending.

What the court clerk described as a "hearing" scheduled for today was not a hearing. It basically was a meeting of a few minutes duration between a lawyer from the city attorney's office and Mr. Yates' attorney.

The only news I can provide is that the matter has not been settled and we will have to await a date to be set for whatever event follows.

AaronS

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Travis Yates update: His case is still pending.

What the court clerk described as a "hearing" scheduled for today was not a hearing. It basically was a meeting of a few minutes duration between a lawyer from the city attorney's office and Mr. Yates' attorney.

The only news I can provide is that the matter has not been settled and we will have to await a date to be set for whatever event follows.
Thanks for the update. I am very interested in this case.

aadvark

imported post

Even when you go onto the Madison Court Website, all of the Ordinances that it lists, as they pertain to Firearms, are mostly unlawful and contrary to Wisconsin Law.

It is abundantly clear that Madison, Milwaukee, and other cities throughout Wisconsin think they are above State Law.

I hope Mr. Yates wins, and I hope further that He wins big!

Packer fan

imported post

After reading this I don't think I want open carry when I come to Madtown in Dec. I live to far away if they take my gun away. If they would give me a ride back to my house to put my gun away that would sent me back by about 24 hrs.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Packer fan wrote:
After reading this I don't think I want open carry when I come to Madtown in Dec. I live to far away if they take my gun away. If they would give me a ride back to my house to put my gun away that would sent me back by about 24 hrs.
This is EXACTLY what the government wants. Irefuse to fear my government and encourage you not to cave. PM me and give me a date/time and we will OC together. I'd be willing to bet we won't be harassed by any LEO.

Now, as far as how Yates has handled this, it is my opinion (I ain't a lawyer) that he handled everything incorrectly.

Had this been me, once I was harassed, and given the ticket, I would have filed a complaint with the AG. I would have filed a complaint with the county DA against the city officers. I would have taken this to the press, and gotten everybody I know to complain about the ROUGE Madison Police department. I'd be on the McKenna show as often as she would have me. I would have filed a complaint with the Madison fire/police commission or whatever it's called for harassment, and lastly, I would have filed a civil suit against the city seeking a declaratory judgement baring the police from issuing any more disorderly citations for "open carry."

In a nut shell, I'd have gone after them in every conceivable way.