Thread: Anyone have .40 reloading equipment?

Post imported post

And would you be willing to teach? I saved my brass from my last range trip and have about 250 shells. I'll buy supplies if you have equipment and would be willing to teach, even if for a price. Let me know
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

Shooters before hooters.

Post imported post

I do want to start reloading myself. I'm hoping to get a Lee Pro 1000 reloading press for Christmas.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...questid=126300

Shooters before hooters.

Post imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
    I do want to start reloading myself. I'm hoping to get a Lee Pro 1000 reloading press for Christmas.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...questid=126300
    Ask Santa for a scale and a tumbler to!

Post imported post

As it happens, my Dillon press is set up for 40s&w right now. You are welcome to come here and load your cases. I must warn you that it will take longer to get here than it will to load a mere 250 cases (about an hour and a quarter if you take your time).
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

I used to be in a band from Port Angeles and commute there every weekend from Silverdale. It'll take me approx 2 hours from Tacoma. I'm looking into getting more brass, and I'll be buying reloading supplies. I might just have to take you up on that offer, then hit the range afterward!

Shooters before hooters.

Post imported post

By the way, what brand of bullet would you recommend for target shooting? Obviously it can not be just a lead bullet. I know FMJ = full metal jacket, and JHP = jacketed hollow point, but I've also seen a few other kinds: FP, HP, and RS. What do these mean?

Price point is important, seeing as how I'm a mostly broke college student. But when I can afford ammo, I like going to the range. I figure if I get reloading equipment for Christmas, I can just save up and get a bunch of supplies at once and load my own, which will be more cost effective, especially over time. Save up again, buy supplies again.

EDIT: I have a Glock, polygonal rifling doesn't like lead bullets.

Shooters before hooters.

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    G22Paddy wrote:
    Obviously it can not be just a lead bullet.
    Why not? Edited: Well that's weird. There is no data on Hodgdon's site for lead bullets for .40 S&W. Is there something about .40 S&W that is special?

Ok. Edited again: LEE has data for lead and plated bullets. So, back to my original question. Why not?
    Sorry, should have posted that I'll be running these through a Glock. Lead bullet + polygonal rifling = bad

Shooters before hooters.

Post imported post

Because of EPA regulations, some indoor ranges will not allow lead bullets.

NavyLT wrote:
    G22Paddy wrote:
    Why not? Edited: Well that's weird. There is no data on Hodgdon's site for lead bullets for .40 S&W. Is there something about .40 S&W that is special?

Ok. Edited again: LEE has data for lead and plated bullets. So, back to my original question. Why not?

Post imported post

I use Berrys bullets. They are a plated HP and should work fine in a Glock. This is what I use in my 40 s&w.
    http://www.berrysmfg.com/product.asp...p;sb=0&p=0

Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
    Price point is important, seeing as how I'm a mostly broke college student. But when I can afford ammo, I like going to the range. I figure if I get reloading equipment for Christmas, I can just save up and get a bunch of supplies at once and load my own, which will be more cost effective, especially over time. Save up again, buy supplies again.
    You really don't save any money because you just end up shooting more!

Reloading is a fun relaxing hobby though.

Post imported post

Nosrac wrote:
    G22Paddy wrote:
    You really don't save any money because you just end up shooting more!

Reloading is a fun relaxing hobby though.
    Shooting more is fine with me too. Either way, the rounds to dollar ratio increases a good bit on the rounds side. And I've always liked taking things apart, putting them together, tinkering with stuff in general.

Shooters before hooters.

Post imported post

I would suggest getting "The ABC's of Reloading"

Its a good resource for the complete noob. I load .40sw round with a lee hand press. The entire setup with die's included cost me about 100 dollars. I usually sit down to a movie and pump out about 100 rounds in an hour. I would suggest starting small with a handpress or a singlestage before jumping into a progressive.

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    G22Paddy wrote:

You will see a lot of talk on the 'net that Glock polygonal rifling does not work well, if at all, with lead bullets.
    If you look around you will also find many who say they do it without any negative repercussions.
    I am among those.
    I own a Glock 20 and a 29.
    I have aftermarket bbls for both, and shoot 10MM and 40S&W in them. I have tried the Glock bbls using lead bullets. They seem to work fine, but since the stock bbls don't support the case heads as well, I don't use the stock bbls much.
    Now I only use my own cast in the Glocks, except for some defensive ammo that is JHP. To reduce the question of whether to use handloads for self-defense, I only "intend" my handloads for use against animals.

To the OP, gather you up some components. They are becoming at least attainable now, vs 6 months ago when you couldn't buy primers or powder.
    You'll have to be the judge on lead bullets. I shoot them in my Glocks by the 3 lb coffee can full.
    If you want more casings, let me know. I will sell mixed lots pretty cheap.

I use a Lee Loadmaster, so it is similar to a Pro 1000. Setup of the press is most of the work. Once it is running smoothly, it goes pretty quickly.

I am out of town and working a lot, but if down the road you want to see the Loadmaster in action, we can arrange that. 250 loads is not much.

Post imported post

I've mostly heard that lead bullets leave heavy leading in the barrel which requires way more cleaning, after as little as 500 rounds. To me it would be worth the extra few dollars to not get as much leading. In fact, I'm most likely going to go with TMJ bullets. How are Speer brand bullets?

Shooters before hooters.

Post imported post

I'm learning to reload with a friend using his equipment . Teaming up with a experienced reloader is the best way to learn . You can get a Lee Anniversary single stage reload setup for like $140 , it comes with everything you need except reloading dies and other cosumables .