• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nelson County LEO extremely misinformed or a downright liar, you decide.

Unfettered Might

imported post

I had a Nelson county LEO freak out last night during a traffic stop when he discovered that I had an empty holster. He started going on and on about how I COULDN"T open carry a firearm and how I COULDN"T carry it in my glovebox. He stuck to his story but his demeanor changed dramatically when I started to spout KRS numbers and laws and how OC was a constitutionally protected right in the state of Kentucky. Yet, he goes on to say, "I've been doing this for 20 something years, blah blah blah, and you can't do that". Funny thing was that after he ran the gun to see if it was stolen he gave it back to me along with my speeding citation. If it was so illegal then why didn't you arrest me Mr LEO?

Know those laws and rights, although it all comes out in the wash, it may save you from spending a night in jail.

Unfettered Might

imported post

Well the remarks aren't about his "heros", but rather one Nelson county LEO in particular. Another LEO showed up towards the end and I was walking around with it in my holster and he never said a word about it.

What really bothers me is that he had already run my drivers license and knew I didn't have a record, but still was a bit less than calm when he found out I had a firearm, even when it wasn't even attached to my body. Personally I thought him putting me in the back of his cruiser and then going over to my passenger door, opening it, my glove box and taking my firearm was a bit over the top. When he requested where I had the firearm, I told him, but I never said he could go get it and he never asked. It brings questions to mind,

Am I required by law to surrender my firearm to a LEO during a simple traffic stop?

Did he have the authority to not ask if he could get into my glove box to get the firearm?

JeepSeller

imported post

MEM, you honestly don't get it, do you? I don't understand either, it's such a simple concept to grasp.

There is a night and day difference between the OP's comments and the comments you've made before.

The OP is relaying a story about ONE incident involving a LEO. He didn't make silly over gereralized statements such as "All LEOS are bad"

Seriously, you obviously have a computer. Please, GOOGLE gereralized statement and educate yourself. There's a difference and you seem to be one of the only few who don't comprehend.

langzaiguy

imported post

Unfettered, you have the right to convey your verbal disagreement to hand over your weapon and to not give your consent. I WOULD NOT try to prevent any officer from doing so.

Personally speaking, I would not object to an officer placing the gun in a place where he knows where it is and it's out of reach of me. I would absolutely object to the numbers being run and I think that if you were to voice your disapproval and the officer still ran the numbers, I think you'd have an excellent case against the LEO.

If he is to take anything from the car or look around he either needs a warrant or RAS.

langzaiguy

imported post

Reasonable Articulable Suspicion. Example: Someone IDs you committing a firearm offense and calls you in and the police respond a question you.

4sooth

imported post

RAS used to be known as probable cause. The officer, to legally stop and frisk you, must be able to explain(articulate) what crime you were committing, or what crime you were about to commit.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I used to live on Stringer lane and shot off dynamite. Same at Cox's Creek. Deputieshardly (once only) Bothered me. Late 60s and 70s.

The one that stopped you was 'ignert'.:cry:

chris in va

imported post

Good, glad to hear you are pursuing the issue. He was entirely out of line and probably just spouting off his own personal agenda regardless of the actual KRS law.

imported post

chris in va wrote:
Good, glad to hear you are pursuing the issue. He was entirely out of line and probably just spouting off his own personal agenda regardless of the actual KRS law.
".........personal agenda............"
Ahem, those two words pretty much sum up how "law enforcement" operates nationwide. There have been far too many reports of this type of behavior to dismiss these claims as unfounded.