Thread: Saint Johns in Richmond

Post imported post

Has anyone ever OC'd there? I was thinking about trying to see their reenactment this veterans day.

Post imported post

I was just there last week. I was only outside in the cemetery.

George Wythe

Post imported post

Pleasereport onyour experience.

For all the years I've lived in Richmond I've never gone. Probably need to remedy that.

If the guy doing the P. Henry reenactment is true to character there should be nothing but support for you. "Because I can" is as good and sufficient reason as I've ever heard, if anyone asks you. (Yes, I know the reenactment takes place outside of religious services being held.)

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

I have OCd on the grounds many times, but also have never seen the reenactment. That is on my list of things to do also.

While I am a strong advocate of OC, I also have never OCd in a church. I have chosen to CC so as to not distract from the service and so that I would not afford anyone the opportunity to object/tell me not allowed there.

I'm going to have to cogitate on the OP for a while.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
    Has anyone ever OC'd there? I was thinking about trying to see their reenactment this veterans day.
    I wouldn't mind going but...their website has the Veterans Day reenactment taking place yesterday, 8 Nov.

USAF Retired
    Certified Glock Armorer
    -------------
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. --- Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

coondog22554 wrote:
    mpg9999 wrote:
    I wouldn't mind going but...their website has the Veterans Day reenactment taking place yesterday, 8 Nov.
    Wow, I'm glad you said something. I kind of figured that the veterans day reenactment would be on, uh, well, veterans day. I'll try giving them a call in the morning to verify.

Post imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
    coondog22554 wrote:
    mpg9999 wrote:
    Wow, I'm glad you said something. I kind of figured that the veterans day reenactment would be on, uh, well, veterans day. I'll try giving them a call in the morning to verify.
    I called and it was in fact last Sunday. The next one will be on Sunday December 13th.

Post imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
    mpg9999 wrote:
    coondog22554 wrote:
    mpg9999 wrote:
    I called and it was in fact last Sunday. The next one will be on Sunday December 13th.
    I knowI would like to see this before leaving the area. Maybe a little gathering of us for this then lunch afterwards?

Post imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
    I had a "disagreement" with the folks at St. John's Church one day. I was there to see the re-enactment.

I was told I had to leave my dangerous camera bag in the vestibule. They didn't allow dangerous bags in the church. After repeated attempts to inform the nice lady that it is a bag and it can't be dangerous by itself to no avail. I pointed out women with diaper bags and purses exceeding the size of my camera bag. She would have none of that. I called her attention to the professional photographer in the church. I asked if his big bag was dangerous and was reminded of his professional status and that he was working. Refusing to leave my bag with nearly $2K in equipment and lenses unattended, I left and have never been back.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

doug23838 wrote:
    mpg9999 wrote:
    I had a "disagreement" with the folks at St. John's Church one day. I was there to see the re-enactment.

I was told I had to leave my dangerous camera bag in the vestibule. They didn't allow dangerous bags in the church. After repeated attempts to inform the nice lady that it is a bag and it can't be dangerous by itself to no avail. I pointed out women with diaper bags and purses exceeding the size of my camera bag. She would have none of that. I called her attention to the professional photographer in the church. I asked if his big bag was dangerous and was reminded of his professional status and that he was working. Refusing to leave my bag with nearly $2K in equipment and lenses unattended, I left and have never been back.

troublemaker
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

doug23838 wrote:
    mpg9999 wrote:

They wouldn't even do a visual of your bag to check for illegally (or, in your case, probably legally?) concealed firearms? What was the reasoning behind the "dangerous bag ban"?

Post imported post

cbackous wrote:
    I knowI would like to see this before leaving the area. Maybe a little gathering of us for this then lunch afterwards?
    Unfortunately for me that's a drill weekend, so I wont be able to make it. Don't let that stop you from organizing a little oc gathering for it, I'm sure there are others that want to go.

Post imported post

Well worth going to see!!!

I would highly recommend it.

No idea about OC...but oh the irony of them saying NO!!!

Post imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:

Indeed!

Mr Henry, Mr. Henry, "Those that would stand with you are forbidden to enter herein. Do you not speak for them?" :P

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:

Sounds like a good case for the power of eminent domain to be used and the church made into a public historic landmark.

Post imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
    Ric in Richmond wrote:

Sounds like a good case for the power of eminent domain to be used and the church made into a public historic landmark.
    Public property, owned by a governmental entity - present state of PC separation of church and state. No, no, no.

Then they couldn't even decorate for Christmas - would have to be "holiday" decorations.

Yata hey

Post imported post

A group of us from here should go one weekend.