• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saint Johns in Richmond

mpg9999

imported post

Has anyone ever OC'd there? I was thinking about trying to see their reenactment this veterans day.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pleasereport onyour experience.

For all the years I've lived in Richmond I've never gone. Probably need to remedy that.

If the guy doing the P. Henry reenactment is true to character there should be nothing but support for you. "Because I can" is as good and sufficient reason as I've ever heard, if anyone asks you. (Yes, I know the reenactment takes place outside of religious services being held.)

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I have OCd on the grounds many times, but also have never seen the reenactment. That is on my list of things to do also.

While I am a strong advocate of OC, I also have never OCd in a church. I have chosen to CC so as to not distract from the service and so that I would not afford anyone the opportunity to object/tell me not allowed there.

I'm going to have to cogitate on the OP for a while.

Yata hey

coondog22554

imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
Has anyone ever OC'd there? I was thinking about trying to see their reenactment this veterans day.
I wouldn't mind going but...their website has the Veterans Day reenactment taking place yesterday, 8 Nov.

mpg9999

imported post

coondog22554 wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:
I wouldn't mind going but...their website has the Veterans Day reenactment taking place yesterday, 8 Nov.
Wow, I'm glad you said something. I kind of figured that the veterans day reenactment would be on, uh, well, veterans day. I'll try giving them a call in the morning to verify.

mpg9999

imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
coondog22554 wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:
Wow, I'm glad you said something. I kind of figured that the veterans day reenactment would be on, uh, well, veterans day. I'll try giving them a call in the morning to verify.
I called and it was in fact last Sunday. The next one will be on Sunday December 13th.

usaf0906

imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:
coondog22554 wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:
I called and it was in fact last Sunday. The next one will be on Sunday December 13th.
I knowI would like to see this before leaving the area. Maybe a little gathering of us for this then lunch afterwards?

doug23838

imported post

mpg9999 wrote:

I had a "disagreement" with the folks at St. John's Church one day. I was there to see the re-enactment.

I was told I had to leave my dangerous camera bag in the vestibule. They didn't allow dangerous bags in the church. After repeated attempts to inform the nice lady that it is a bag and it can't be dangerous by itself to no avail. I pointed out women with diaper bags and purses exceeding the size of my camera bag. She would have none of that. I called her attention to the professional photographer in the church. I asked if his big bag was dangerous and was reminded of his professional status and that he was working. Refusing to leave my bag with nearly $2K in equipment and lenses unattended, I left and have never been back.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

doug23838 wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:

I had a "disagreement" with the folks at St. John's Church one day. I was there to see the re-enactment.

I was told I had to leave my dangerous camera bag in the vestibule. They didn't allow dangerous bags in the church. After repeated attempts to inform the nice lady that it is a bag and it can't be dangerous by itself to no avail. I pointed out women with diaper bags and purses exceeding the size of my camera bag. She would have none of that. I called her attention to the professional photographer in the church. I asked if his big bag was dangerous and was reminded of his professional status and that he was working. Refusing to leave my bag with nearly $2K in equipment and lenses unattended, I left and have never been back.
troublemaker

Wangmuf

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:

They wouldn't even do a visual of your bag to check for illegally (or, in your case, probably legally?) concealed firearms? What was the reasoning behind the "dangerous bag ban"?

mpg9999

imported post

cbackous wrote:
I knowI would like to see this before leaving the area. Maybe a little gathering of us for this then lunch afterwards?
Unfortunately for me that's a drill weekend, so I wont be able to make it. Don't let that stop you from organizing a little oc gathering for it, I'm sure there are others that want to go.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:
Well worth going to see!!!

I would highly recommend it.

No idea about OC...but oh the irony of them saying NO!!!
Indeed!

Mr Henry, Mr. Henry, "Those that would stand with you are forbidden to enter herein. Do you not speak for them?" :p

Yata hey

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:

Sounds like a good case for the power of eminent domain to be used and the church made into a public historic landmark.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
Ric in Richmond wrote:

Sounds like a good case for the power of eminent domain to be used and the church made into a public historic landmark.
Public property, owned by a governmental entity - present state of PC separation of church and state. No, no, no.

Then they couldn't even decorate for Christmas - would have to be "holiday" decorations.

Yata hey