• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Movie Theatres

MrPerfect

imported post

I stay in GA specifically Albany, Ga where the police officers here are country backwoods, and practice racial profiling . One evening me and my woman go to the local movie theatre to catch a movie . I have my Glock 22 which is a rather large gun on the right side of my hip . As i approach the ticket counter I notcie a P.O. in the corner looking extra hard at me so i purchase my tickets and we start to walk to the screening room. The police officer approaches me and tells me to stop and raise my hands. he then secures my weapon and informs me of Ga public gathering law which prohibits citizens from carrying to a public gathering I understand that but my question is a movie theatre a public gathgering , The law here in Ga is so damn ambiguous that it leaves the interpretation up to the officer instead of the law or courts. Can I file a civil suit agianst the county?:cuss:

swinokur

Activist Member
imported post

Not sure about a law suit. In VA even though you can OC and CC with a permit, which I have, there is a small sign on one door that says no handguns. I had heard it was there and had to look hard to find it. Of course I did this after the movie and had CC'd in the theatre. Guess I'll come unarmed next time. I don't need any legal hassles. Too expensive.

I'd guess the cop could make the charge stick. Why fight what may be an expensive law suit and still possibly lose?

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

So, did he arrest you and file charges? Did he return your gun and ask you to leave it in the car?
What you do next is dependent upon what the officer did, and what the law in your state says.

Dreamer

imported post

In North Carolina, we can't carry, OC or CC in any venue that charges admission. That rules out movie theaters, amusement parks, and fairs and carnivals.

We also have a "public gathering" statute, that prohibits carrying at "parades, funeral processions, picket lines, or demonstrations".

However, in NC, you can apparently carry at a wedding or in church (as long as there is not a sigh posted prohibiting carry)...

Check these websites to further clarify the law in YOUR particular state:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carry-laws-explained/frequently-asked-questions/

According to the "GeorgiaCarry.org" website:
"There has been a great deal of debate over whether movie theaters are public gatherings. The lawyers in GCO tend to believe that movie theaters fit the case law definition of a public gathering, while some GCO members report openly carrying pistols in movie theaters in the presence of police officers without being arrested.The truth is, nobody seems to know what is a public gathering, including police officers, prosecutors, and courts, so please exercise caution while carrying a firearm or other weapon near a crowd.
Please make sure to read the history of why Georgia has a public gathering law. It is not what you think."
Yes, as is the case with about 90% of the gun laws currently on the books in Southern states, the "public gathering prohibition" in GA is a "Jim Crow Law", enacted in the 1800's to keep blacks from carrying guns. Gun control IS racism...

So, of you are still unsure about the theater thing (and to be honest, NOBODY really knows WHAT the law is about theaters--even the police admit confusion--contact your state Attorney General's Office.

http://law.ga.gov/00/channel_title/0,2094,87670814_87670955,00.html

But be advised that the GaAG will probably NOT be willing to give you a straight answer, because this law is racist, police departments in GA are endemically racist, and since I assume from your post that you are black, they will probably give you a different answer over the phone (because of the way you "sound") than they would a white southerner or a Yankee...

Good luck hashing this one out--Georgia 2A activist groups have been trying to get a straight answer from Atlanta on this for 10 years...

JDriver1.8t

imported post

In GA, they specify that malls and other venues are not 'public gatherings'. The movie theater would fall under the same category as walmart or a book store.

You are fine, and the officer was incorrect.

I travel to GA every year for a large car show, where I'm not allowed to carry because of the 'public gathering' law.

codename_47

imported post

something similar happened in new mexio, you might want to take his lead and sue them

zack991

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
How about, it's private property and they can set their policy how they like it and you must abide by that or be subject to trespass.
I know Regal Cinemas bans people from Conceal Carrying or Open Carrying on their property. How do I know, It is one of our Armed Guard locations. I wont say which store but If I see a person who carries one I let them know that they do not allow it on their property and tell them to quietly put it in their car. The manager here forces us to call the police to come and press all possible charges if he sees anyone.

So I quietly tell them to do it so they do not have to fight with the police, after I see them take it off and if they have a permit I let them know a little hint. Now If they take it out to their cars and I see them take it off and put it in their car that is end of it for me. If they accidentally forget to leave it in their car, :) I do not check them again. That they assume the risk of getting caught and which manager to avoid when inside the buildings. I hate when they force people to become unarmed, so I do the very minim against fellow gun owners. They do have a tiny sign in the windows and usually it is behind their huge cardboard signs. Even then it is almost impossible to see that they ban people from carrying.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

zack991 wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:
How about, it's private property and they can set their policy how they like it and you must abide by that or be subject to trespass.
I know Regal Cinemas bans people from Conceal Carrying or Open Carrying on their property. How do I know, It is one of our Armed Guard locations. I wont say which store but If I see a person who carries one I let them know that they do not allow it on their property and tell them to quietly put it in their car. The manager here forces us to call the police to come and press all possible charges if he sees anyone.

So I quietly tell them to do it so they do not have to fight with the police, after I see them take it off and if they have a permit I let them know a little hint. Now If they take it out to their cars and I see them take it off and put it in their car that is end of it for me. If they accidentally forget to leave it in their car, :) I do not check them again. That they assume the risk of getting caught and which manager to avoid when inside the buildings. I hate when they force people to become unarmed, so I do the very minim against fellow gun owners. They do have a tiny sign in the windows and usually it is behind their huge cardboard signs. Even then it is almost impossible to see that they ban people from carrying.
I just went in to a Regal theater last Thursday for a matinee movie. Before I did this, I went there one morning before anyone was around and tried to find a "no guns" sign but saw nothing. Then last Thursday, when inside and buying my ticket, I looked around but again saw nothing. I was CC'ing because I had heard that Regal was a gun-free/criminal-welcome business. However, I know of someone on this site who has OC'd at that same Regal theater.

zack991

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
zack991 wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:

I just went in to a Regal theater last Thursday for a matinee movie. Before I did this, I went there one morning before anyone was around and tried to find a "no guns" sign but saw nothing. Then last Thursday, when inside and buying my ticket, I looked around but again saw nothing. I was CC'ing because I had heard that Regal was a gun-free/criminal-welcome business. However, I know of someone on this site who has OC'd at that same Regal theater.
It is time for them to get emails on this.

Email address:

Clint.Roberts@regalcinemas.com

Sample Subject: Regal's 'no firearms' signs

Sample message:

Dear Mr. Roberts,

I am offended by Regal's 'no firearms' signs on its theater doors.

As a law-abiding citizen with a concealed handgun permit, I have had
a thorough background check and have had firearms training. I am
trusted by the Commonwealth of Ohio to carry a handgun with me
almost anywhere I go. Yet, Regal is indicating by those signs that
it does not trust me.

Theaters are not crime-free zones. Crime happens in and around
theaters all the time.

While I, a decent, law-abiding person, won't carry a gun beyond such
a sign, a violent criminal will laugh at your sign on his way in.
What you have done is to take away my right to defend myself in an
emergency and, worse, told criminals that every patron coming out of
your theaters is a helpless victim.

Fortunately, the other theaters in Ohio have no such signs on
their doors and I will be spending my money there until such time as
Regal removes those signs.

Sincerely,
[NAME]
[ADDRESS]