• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State & Muni Law

1*

imported post

Will someone post the link to the muni or state law the shows the requirement for signage?I have looked for it but have not been able to locate it.

Also if its a private business and they don't have the proper signage but they have there own sign is it legal to carry until the point where they tell you, you can't have it in their establishment?

imported post

I carry everywhere in Anchorage except Muni buildings or the law forbids. I don't carry open though and if even if a private business has a sign, I don't care as criminals won't either. At worst on private property I can get kicked out, since I am not brandishing, only violating a rule they have (which is not a law). The only time the security guards at the diamond mall know that I have a fiveseven is if there is a lot of much worse stuff going on. - http://www.professionaladventurer.com

imported post

"Alaska Statute 11.61.220 allows anyone 21 or older, who may legally carry a firearm to also carry it concealed without having to obtain a special permit. The possession of a firearm at courthouses, school yards, bars and domestic violence shelters will continue to be prohibited. Alaskans may obtain a concealed carry permit if they want reciprocity with other states."

Here is the link to the Alaska DPS website (law and rules) http://www.dps.state.ak.us/statewide/PermitsLicensing/concealedhandguns.aspx

http://www.professionaladventurer.com

david.ross

imported post

professionaladventurer wrote:
I carry everywhere in Anchorage except Muni buildings
Is there a reason why you don't carry in the Anchorage Municipal building? Are there any restricted places in the building or do you just feel uncomfortable with open carry at the location?

aadvark

imported post

Municipal Buildings are Legal in Alaska for Carry, and due to State Preemption, there is nothing stopping you from doing so except the fact that you do not want to.

david.ross

imported post

Well seeing as he is in Anchorage, I thought perhaps there was something wrong with the Anchorage Muni. building which didn't permit it. I know one can carry at the location here in Homer, i.e. city meetings, etc.

Kromey

imported post

1* wrote:
Will someone post the link to the muni or state law the shows the requirement for signage?I have looked for it but have not been able to locate it.

Also if its a private business and they don't have the proper signage but they have there own sign is it legal to carry until the point where they tell you, you can't have it in their establishment?
There is no Alaska state law for signage requirements (although IANAL), and one could argue that state preemption would forbid muni laws for such as well (although it would be a tough argument to make, in all honesty). However, private property owners are free to implement their own rules as they see fit, and if that includes a no weapons rule then you're SOL.

If you carry into a private business and there's no reasonable expectation that you would know that they forbid weapons, then you can face no legal repercussions. HOWEVER, once you are asked to leave, if you do not comply you could face a criminal trespassing charge. I do not know what effect a "No Weapons" (or similar) sign would have, however it would be safest to assume the worst case, i.e. that the sign itself constitutes you being asked to leave, and you are immediately trespassing the moment you cross their threshold.

Also be aware that the law is different in regards to private residences. With a private business, state law assumes that you are permitted to carry unless and until you are asked to leave; with a residence, however, the law dictates that you must seek permission (from an adult) before you enter with your firearm, whether you are OCing or CCing. I know this isn't directly relevant to your question, but it is something you should be aware of as it does change your legal liabilities significantly from the above.