Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Michigan Open Carry Question.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    Opinion No. 7097 January 11, 2002… A person licensed by this state… to carry a concealed weapon….By its express terms, section 234d prohibits certain persons from carrying a firearm in the enumerated places but explicitly exempts from its prohibition “[a] person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.” Thus, any person licensed to carry a concealed pistol, including a private investigator, is exempt from the gun-free zone restrictions imposed by section 234d of the Penal Code and may therefore possess firearms while on the types of premises listed in that statute.

    “Your analysis is correct. Non-CPL pistol free zones do not apply to CPL holders. The CPL pistol free zones only apply to CPL holders carrying a concealed pistol. Therefore, a CPL holder may openly carry a pistol in Michigan's pistol free zones.”

    Sincerely, Sgt. Thomas
    Deasy, Michigan State Police Executive Resource Section, (517) 336-6441

    “…My office has contacted the Michigan State Police legislative liaison and has received some answers to share with you. According to the liaison, it is legal to openly carry a firearm in a "Pistol Free Zone" if you are a licensed CPL holder. I was advised that your information was correct that
    MCL 28.425o and MCL 750-234d permit this activity. I was informed that there was no other additional relevant laws regarding this matter…” Michael A Prusi, State Senator 38th District"




    OK, I want to make sure I am reading this right; if I have a CPL I CAN NOT CARRY IN TO A SCHOOL OR OTHER PISTOL FREE ZONES. But I can carry openly. Is this right?



    Johnny.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jackson, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    125

    Post imported post

    OK, I want to make sure I am reading this right; if I have a CPL I CAN NOT CARRY IN TO A SCHOOL OR OTHER PISTOL FREE ZONES. But I can carry openly. Is this right?
    under the law and this AG opinion you cannot carry concealed into a PFZ, however if you have a CPL you can carry openly into a PFZ



  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    By PFZ he means Pistol Free Zone.

    But yes, he is right. SOME places that you can't carry CONCEALED, if you have your CPL you can carry OPENLY legally.


    EDIT: To fix a MAJOR mistake I made.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    T Vance wrote:
    By PFZ he means Pistol Free Zone.

    But yes, he is right. Any place that you can't carry CONCEALED, if you have your CPL you can carry OPENLY legally.
    Not quite.

    The exceptions to that I know of are casinos, "sterile" areas of jails and prisons and airports, federal property, and reservation land.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  5. #5
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    Courthouses or courtrooms as the case may be... other than that your list is correct Michigander!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    Michigander wrote:
    T Vance wrote:
    By PFZ he means Pistol Free Zone.

    But yes, he is right. Any place that you can't carry CONCEALED, if you have your CPL you can carry OPENLY legally.
    Not quite.

    The exceptions to that I know of are casinos, "sterile" areas of jails and prisons and airports, federal property, and reservation land.
    My bad. Thanks for catching that. I thought I had wrote "Any place that you can't carry concealed on the back of your CPL". I was in a rush when I wrote that.

    Sorry for the confusion.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    T Vance wrote:

    My bad. Thanks for catching that. I thought I had wrote "Any place that you can't carry concealed on the back of your CPL". I was in a rush when I wrote that.

    Sorry for the confusion.
    Which is still not quite true. Courthouses and Casinos (just the building with gambling inside) are still off limits, open or concealed.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    OK, as long as it is not a casino, courthouse, post office, police station, or the sterile section of a jail I should be OK to carry openly?

    Johnny.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    johnny0911 wrote:
    OK, as long as it is not a casino, courthouse, post office, police station, or the sterile section of a jail I should be OK to carry openly?

    Johnny.
    Or federal building of any kind. Or sterile portion of an airport. Or national parks (Until Feb. Next year)

    Otherwise, yes.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    johnny0911 wrote:
    OK, as long as it is not a casino, courthouse, post office, police station, or the sterile section of a jail I should be OK to carry openly?

    Johnny.
    Or federal building of any kind. Or sterile portion of an airport. Or national parks (Until Feb. Next year)

    Otherwise, yes.
    What is going to happen in Feb of next year?



    Johnny

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    36

    Post imported post

    OK now what about this issue with university's and their borders?

    Example: U of M or Eastern University where most of the streets are considered university property. How does OC or CC for that matter work with that?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    538

    Post imported post

    johnny0911 wrote:
    OK, as long as it is not a casino, courthouse, post office, police station, or the sterile section of a jail I should be OK to carry openly?

    Johnny.
    Police stations are not PFZs. You can OC or CC there, unless marked as prohibited by court order or specifically prohibited under state legislation.


  13. #13
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336

    Post imported post

    johnny0911 wrote:
    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    johnny0911 wrote:
    OK, as long as it is not a casino, courthouse, post office, police station, or the sterile section of a jail I should be OK to carry openly?

    Johnny.
    Or federal building of any kind. Or sterile portion of an airport. Or national parks (Until Feb. Next year)

    Otherwise, yes.
    What is going to happen in Feb of next year?



    Johnny
    Feb 2010 - National Parks will then follow the State Laws in which the National Park resides. This presents an expanded ability to carry for persons in specific states.

    Please see the following topic for more information: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...National+Parks

    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Macomb County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    smallthunder wrote:
    OK now what about this issue with university's and their borders?

    Example: U of M or Eastern University where most of the streets are considered university property. How does OC or CC for that matter work with that?
    It's a good question. The 2 places I don't OC or CC because I'm just not sure schools or their properties.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •