• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MY KNIFE MY "2ND" BEST FRIEND & FULL TIME CARRY

SteveInAshand

imported post

Some refresher's on how fast & deadly a knife is, not to mention how one needs a knife for "what ever" reason besides as a "back up".

COMBAT GRIP:

http://www.officer.com/video/Training_Tips/Knife_Grip_-_Training_Tip/14374796001:::::::8/

OPENING A FOLDER KNIFE:

http://www.officer.com/video/Training_Tips/Knife_Opening_-_Officer_Training_tip/13341003001:::::::8/

I am far from any kind of knife fighting expert (( been stabble twice tho * #1 was a bottle neck, lol ((( but I did sleep the night in the ER last night , lol )))

Personally, I use a kind of hybrid of Hammer & Saber grip for the sheer speed and thrusting capability of it in a fight and the holding power.

Best cardio-aerobic exorsize you will ever get is getting 2 people and 2 large black "sharpie" felt tip markers together in a small room, take off the caps on the markers, put on some goggles and "fight" !!!

Fight with the sharpies like they are knifes, you will learn fast how dam slow you really are, what works and what doesn't and how to get faster and faster and how to protect yourself while in a knife fight, one little black mark with a sharpie is equal to a pint of lost blood, lol.

In 2 min you will be soaking wet , heart pounding like a freight train and find your for arm & knife ( sharpie ) knuckles are streaked with black marks

Enjoy

PS My knife is the Cold Steel TI Light 6 inch blade with 7 inch handle, ya a total of 13 long inches -long http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/csstoreonline_2076_720973

;)

Wangmuf

imported post

Emerson Super CQC-7 as a back-up weapon.

I put one of the original Benchmade models through a fairly thick piece of sheet metal duct work to the handle years ago, barely deformed the tip. That knife got "lost in evidence" long ago, along with a carbon fiber-handled POLICE model Spyderco. I loved it so much though, that when they made the extra-large version, I snapped up the first one I found.

Wave feature deploys the knife just as fast, if not faster than an auto knife would deploy from the pocket. It's like carrying a fixed-blade knife in your pocket with no sheath. Titanium liner wears a very nice lock-notch into the blade after 20 or so hard openings, has no visible flex for such a thin liner. Single-side grind on the edge makes sharpening a breeze.

http://www.emersonknives.com/ekSuper_CQC7B.php

5-11 Tactical First Responder as a utility knife.

It's a robust knife, has the thickest blade and liner of any reasonably priced folder I've ever seen. Holds a great edge, but it's a PITA to sharpen on Arkansas stones. I have to use a diamond sharpener (which I don't like) to get any nick out, even small ones. Good lockup on the liner after a few "tactical" deployments.

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/All-Products/Accessories/Tactical-Knives/First-Responder-Tactical-Knife-Tanto-Blade/D/30100/P/1:100:50000:50800:50804/I/51001

An old Victorinox multi-tool when I think I might need one.

SteveInAshand

imported post

Statesman wrote:
Benchmade Infidel. Overpriced, but I'd like to have one.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/3300
YES Yes yes, I was at the local all American old school general store ( guns & hardware included ) called BlackBird today , anyways I was "playing" with the Infidel. It was sweeeeet but $450, OUCH, the only thing I did not like was the size .

I will still keep my 6inch blade w 7 inch handle and "1/16th of a second" slower deployment in my Cold Steel TI

SteveInAshand

imported post

TEST: This is actually crucial to me >>> Try this, get something wet & slippery on your hands, ( prefer to clean a fish ) and get real blood & guts all over the palms of my hands then grab your knife and go VIOLENTLY cut up and old inner tube or couch cushion or what ever is kind of heavy and really go at it and see if the handle has the right texture to stay put in your hand.

Some guys have brick layer hands aka , Gi Joe with the kung fu grip hands and can hold onto a greased pig and beat you over the head with it, no me I have a good grip but small hands so I am on lower end of grip strengh, but my Cold Steel has huge depressions and massive texture in the grip and no amount of blood & guts will keep it from coming loose even when attacking an old Everlast heavy bag I have rejected a couple of kives because they are to slippery in a real world blood & sweat situation, ;)

Wangmuf

imported post

SteveInAshand wrote:
TEST: This is actually crucial to me >>> Try this, get something wet & slippery on your hands, ( prefer to clean a fish ) and get real blood & guts all over the palms of my hands then grab your knife and go VIOLENTLY cut up and old inner tube or couch cushion or what ever is kind of heavy and really go at it and see if the handle has the right texture to stay put in your hand.

Some guys have brick layer hands aka , Gi Joe with the kung fu grip hands and can hold onto a greased pig and beat you over the head with it, no me I have a good grip but small hands so I am on lower end of grip strengh, but my Cold Steel has huge depressions and massive texture in the grip and no amount of blood & guts will keep it from coming loose even when attacking an old Everlast heavy bag I have rejected a couple of kives because they are to slippery in a real world blood & sweat situation, ;)

Any knife I own for a defensive purpose will have a G10 handle. It passes "tests" similar to this. I don't expect to have my hands covered in blood and guts if I ever have to draw a knife, though, and slashing an assailant usually does not result in the grip of a knife, nor the palm of your hand, getting covered in blood.

Of course, I'm a fan of the slashing technique, I don't ever intend to stick a knife into an attacker straight on, burying it to the hilt. I'm sure you've seen, from your sharpie exercises, how long of a wound can be opened by a "glancing" blow. Many attackers, once bloodied, will choose retreat over pressing the attack. Better for them to escape with a "superficial" wound than a life-threatening organ puncture. I'd prefer to see an attacker prosecuted than sent to the morgue.

I think it's time to buy a karambit style knife. Or maybe the Cold Steel Black Talon.

Karambit
http://www.emersonknives.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SuperKarambitBT&Category_Code=SuperKarambit

Black Talon
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=205734496&listingid=46060444

Oh yeah, that Infidel is a very nice knife. I had a salesman at a local cop shop try to sell me one, even though I told him several times I'm not legal to buy it (not a LEO or military, can't legally possess one in my locality). He offered to let me get it for $370, if I had had the cash on me that day, I'd have snapped it up.

Edit: Yes, I know that a large number of people who use a knife in self-defense, or as an attacker, for that matter, end up with self-inflicted wounds from their hand sliding up the blade of their own knives. DON'T STAB! It's not a bayonet, where you have a length of rifle between your hand and the cutting surface.

Disclaimer: I am by no means a professional knife fighter. Any harm that may come to you in a self-defense situation by heeding my advice is purely the fault of the attacker, not myself. Any harm that may come to you as an attacker in a situation is a result of your own stupidity, no fault of mine.

SteveInAshand

imported post

Yes I agree with you very much so about the slash vs the stab and the resulting wound -blood loss, not to mention you are retracting the knife back to you lesening the chance of a grab and wrestling match, but it is a start

It's so easy to be an armchair quarterback but the "stab" a better term would be "plunge" THEN slash has merit if you have "closed the distance".

I know in any fight were you have to reach out and hit (( or cut )) an opponent / assailant you have to close that safe distance to strike (( if not then run )) because if not then the BG will close it for you and be on the offensive.

My "mental" state under duress and assault is my defense is my "aggregation" , sure I may run high tail to get out of the line of fire, but if I am stuck in a room or with a BG who has gone on offense & i need to protect something I go on MORE offense, this has been the way it is since I was a kid, I cant change my nature.

Digressing

The reason I mention holding a knife with bloody & gutsy hand's is you may be in an encounter were you have already have been shot, badly injured, severely beat, or stabbed and have your own blood even from a broken nose or gashed forehead streaming & running down into you own hand's and be in a violent struggle for life, while reaching into you pocket to pull out your back aka knife with a slick hand of wrestling with a large K9 who is "on you".

The closest I have come to a knife fight is a guy with a broken bottle who attacked me, I had an old style Buck folder , I low kicked him in the knee and jammed his knee up real good as he jumped forward but he swiped that bottle at my leg as I jam kicked him and he gashed my calf muscle badly (( bled like crazy )) He ran (( limped )) away fast. I was to preoccupied with watching my pant leg turn red and dribble on the sidewalk, to run after him and stab his ass, lol, the only thing I ever stabbed with the Buck knife was my 501's to open my pant leg to look at an ugly cut strait across my whole calf, lol. I remember that I couldn't hold onto the slick Buck knife handle very well with my own red slime all over it, lol. So from then on every time I kiled a rabbit or caught a fish I would take out what ever folder I had and see how good a reef I could get on the handle while all slicked up, lol.

I will have to check out the G10 type handle, thanks for the input.