Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Ammo - What is max that can be carried in a handgun?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    134

    Post imported post

    What is the maximum amount of rounds you can legally carry in a handgun in VA?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    469

    Post imported post

    20 if you don't have a CHP. CHP holders are exempt.


    § 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    ., ,
    Posts
    276

    Post imported post

    .

  4. #4
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Bill in VA wrote:
    mercutio545 wrote:
    20 if you don't have a CHP. CHP holders are exempt.


    § 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    The correct answer is "there's no limit." .
    I think to further muddy the waters, I would have said "There is no limit, unless you are in/on public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

    If you are in one of those places, the limit is no more than 20. If you are in one of those places and have a CHP, there is no limit.

    If you are not in one of those places, then there is no limit, regardless of your CHP status.

    Clear as mud. Ain't the law fun?
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    Bill in VA wrote:
    mercutio545 wrote:
    20 if you don't have a CHP. CHP holders are exempt.


    § 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    The correct answer is "there's no limit." .
    I think to further muddy the waters, I would have said "There is no limit, unless you are in/on public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

    If you are in one of those places, the limit is no more than 20. If you are in one of those places and have a CHP, there is no limit.

    If you are not in one of those places, then there is no limit, regardless of your CHP status.

    Clear as mud. Ain't the law fun?
    Yep, a CHP is a handy thing ...and is Shall Issue.
    Maybe that's the answer to that nasty Gunshow Loophole.
    All sales, public and private should be regulated....
    CHP holders would be exempt

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    The correct answer is "there's no limit."

    The short version is IF you are in one of the above-listed localities AND you are carrying a firearm presently so-equipped you are in violation of the law
    You've contradicted yourself by first saying there is no limit, and then quoting the regulation that establishes limits, and where and to whom they apply.

    The correct answer is that you may be limited depending on where you are standing, and whether or not you hold a CHP, or fall under one of the other exceptions.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    no thanks

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    32

    Post imported post

    Pretty much 20 rounds.....obviously it more complicated than that but in general if you are just carrying a pistol with "normal" magazines your fine.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    ., ,
    Posts
    276

    Post imported post

    .

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hampton, Va, ,
    Posts
    623

    Post imported post

    Actually when restrictions for non CHP holdersapplyin the code that limit magazines to 20 rounds you could actually have 21 rounds in the fire arm. The restriction as written only applies to the magazine itself.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    Clearing that statute off the books, should be on the General Assembly wish list too. What a silly law...Is the area safer because someone hass to carry a 1911 instead of a Sig:X

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    23

    Post imported post

    Not even an FN Five-Seven holds more than 20 rounds "in the magazine" without an extended magazine. As the law reads now, even without a CHP while in those locations you can carry 20 in the magazine and one in the chamber. Why did they bother with the law anyway?

  13. #13
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    drewf wrote:
    Not even an FN Five-Seven holds more than 20 rounds "in the magazine" without an extended magazine. As the law reads now, even without a CHP while in those locations you can carry 20 in the magazine and one in the chamber. Why did they bother with the law anyway?
    That law goes back a ways and has been changed several times. It was an attempt to be able to stop OC'ing ...long before it was popular in the cities and burbs.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    No Jimmy, I did not contradict myself. Reading is fundamental. My question to you, however, is do you have anything of value to add to this thread towards answering the OP's question, or are you simply chiming in as the peanut gallery to parse words?
    I thought I was adding something, as your opening absolute statement of "The correct answer is no limits" could create confusion, and the OP should be perfectly clear on the fact that limitations do exist. Thus my response to the OP that there may be limitations.

    Reading is fundamental and believe it or not requires parsing of words for good comprehension. But it's no different than the fundamentals of writing and the correct choice of words when doing so.

    But since you feel I don't have anything to add, and my reading skills are poor, I'll go back to the peanut gallery now as you suggested. I'll endeavor to avoid annoying you in the future.



  15. #15
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Now that's thinking with your dipstick, Jimmy!






    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    falls church, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    55

    Post imported post

    20 rounds but you can have 100 magazines with 20 rounds each

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    led for breakfast wrote:
    20 rounds but you can have 100 magazines with 20 rounds each
    you only need to limit the magazine in the firearm itself to a 20rder. Your spare magazines can hold as much ammo as you want.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    Now that's thinking with your dipstick, Jimmy!





    HAHA I LOVE THAT COMMERCIAL!!!

  19. #19
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616

    Post imported post

    drewf wrote:
    Not even an FN Five-Seven holds more than 20 rounds "in the magazine" without an extended magazine. As the law reads now, even without a CHP while in those locations you can carry 20 in the magazine and one in the chamber. Why did they bother with the law anyway?
    The law does not say 20 rounds "in the magazine."

    I reads: "with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition."

    In fact IMO, the magazine can be empty, but capable of holding 21 rounds and with one in the chamber, you may have crossed over to the dark side. It is the total potential capacity of the magazine that counts, not what is actually in it.

    Don't forget this covers center fire long guns too.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    120

    Post imported post

    Last time I check according to Suzanna Hupp is doesn't matter.

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hanover County, Virginia, ,
    Posts
    93

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    led for breakfast wrote:
    20 rounds but you can have 100 magazines with 20 rounds each
    you only need to limit the magazine in the firearm itself to a 20rder. Your spare magazines can hold as much ammo as you want.

    That seems to me to be a reasonable interpretation, as the prohibition is on the pistol being "equipped with" a 21+ round magazine. But I don't know if there is any caselaw to the contrary.



    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice, and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

    In plain English, while I am an attorney, I am NOT your attorney, and I am NOT giving you legal advice.


  22. #22
    Regular Member virginiatuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    1. How about the practical and theoretical maximums?
    2. How many rounds, of say 147 gr. 9x19mm, could you equip a handgun with before it's just too darn heavy to effectively use as a handgun?
    3. Theoretically, how many rounds can a single magazine be engineered to hold for a center-fire, semi-automatic pistol?
    4. What is the largest capacity, center-fire, semi-auto, pistol magazine that has ever been manufactured, for any caliber?

  23. #23
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Post imported post

    Theoretical? who cares. This post is about law.

    The law in VA is that, in certain cities,
    handguns are limited to 20 round primary magazine.
    shotguns are limited to 7 rounds of the longest shells the gun is chambered for.
    If your firearm exceeds this, you must transport it in accordance with federal transportation laws.

    EXEMPTION: Military, LEO, and CHP holders are EXEMPT from these constraints.

    there are some benefits to the CHP even if you only OC.


    Also the 147gr 9x19 is a horrible round.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  24. #24
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616

    Post imported post

    virginiatuck wrote:
    1. What is the largest capacity, center-fire, semi-auto, pistol magazine that has ever been manufactured, for any caliber?
    Don't know about "ever", but here are three extreme examples for a 1911:

    MidwayUSA - ProMag Magazine 1911 Government, Commander 45 ACP 40-Round Drum Polymer Black

    and

    The Auto Ordinance A5 .45 ACP semi-auto pistol takes the 100 round drum mag for the Tommy gun and comes with a 50 round mag as standard equipment.

    Don't even want to try to hold that b!tch up off hand.

    No links provided.

    Yata hey

    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  25. #25
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    I remember shooting a 1911 with a 50 round "snail drum" magazine @ 1987 or so... That sucker got HEAVY by the time I finished shooting. Held it up for the entire 50 rounds... What a bear.

    The weight kept the recoil down a bit, but shooting hardball, you're still shaking like a leaf by the time you've finished shooting that many rounds without stopping for a break.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •