• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo - What is max that can be carried in a handgun?

mercutio545

imported post

20 if you don't have a CHP. CHP holders are exempt.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
The correct answer is "there's no limit." .

I think to further muddy the waters, I would have said "There is no limit, unless you are in/on public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

If you are in one of those places, the limit is no more than 20. If you are in one of those places and have a CHP, there is no limit.

If you are not in one of those places, then there is no limit, regardless of your CHP status.

Clear as mud. Ain't the law fun? :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Bill in VA wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:

The correct answer is "there's no limit." .

I think to further muddy the waters, I would have said "There is no limit, unless you are in/on public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

If you are in one of those places, the limit is no more than 20. If you are in one of those places and have a CHP, there is no limit.

If you are not in one of those places, then there is no limit, regardless of your CHP status.

Clear as mud. Ain't the law fun? :)
Yep, a CHP is a handy thing ...and is Shall Issue.
Maybe that's the answer to that nasty Gunshow Loophole.
All sales, public and private should be regulated....
CHP holders would be exempt:uhoh:

JimmyN

imported post

The correct answer is "there's no limit."

The short version is IF you are in one of the above-listed localities AND you are carrying a firearm presently so-equipped you are in violation of the law

You've contradicted yourself by first saying there is no limit, and then quoting the regulation that establishes limits, and where and to whom they apply.

The correct answer is that you may be limited depending on where you are standing, and whether or not you hold a CHP, or fall under one of the other exceptions.

frenchdl

imported post

Pretty much 20 rounds.....obviously it more complicated than that but in general if you are just carrying a pistol with "normal" magazines your fine.

mobeewan

imported post

Actually when restrictions for non CHP holdersapplyin the code that limit magazines to 20 rounds you could actually have 21 rounds in the fire arm. The restriction as written only applies to the magazine itself.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Clearing that statute off the books, should be on the General Assembly wish list too. What a silly law...Is the area safer because someone hass to carry a 1911 instead of a Sig:X

drewf

imported post

Not even an FN Five-Seven holds more than 20 rounds "in the magazine" without an extended magazine. As the law reads now, even without a CHP while in those locations you can carry 20 in the magazine and one in the chamber. Why did they bother with the law anyway?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

drewf wrote:
Not even an FN Five-Seven holds more than 20 rounds "in the magazine" without an extended magazine. As the law reads now, even without a CHP while in those locations you can carry 20 in the magazine and one in the chamber. Why did they bother with the law anyway?
That law goes back a ways and has been changed several times. It was an attempt to be able to stop OC'ing ...long before it was popular in the cities and burbs.

JimmyN

imported post

No Jimmy, I did not contradict myself. Reading is fundamental. My question to you, however, is do you have anything of value to add to this thread towards answering the OP's question, or are you simply chiming in as the peanut gallery to parse words?

I thought I was adding something, as your opening absolute statement of "The correct answer is no limits" could create confusion, and the OP should be perfectly clear on the fact that limitations do exist. Thus my response to the OP that there may be limitations.

Reading is fundamental and believe it or not requires parsing of words for good comprehension. But it's no different than the fundamentals of writing and the correct choice of words when doing so.

But since you feel I don't have anything to add, and my reading skills are poor, I'll go back to the peanut gallery now as you suggested. I'll endeavor to avoid annoying you in the future.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Now that's thinking with your dipstick, Jimmy! :)

castrol-use-your-dipstick.jpg

nova

imported post

led for breakfast wrote:
20 rounds but you can have 100 magazines with 20 rounds each
you only need to limit the magazine in the firearm itself to a 20rder. Your spare magazines can hold as much ammo as you want.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

drewf wrote:
The law does not say 20 rounds "in the magazine."

I reads: "with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition."

In fact IMO, the magazine can be empty, but capable of holding 21 rounds and with one in the chamber, you may have crossed over to the dark side. It is the total potential capacity of the magazine that counts, not what is actually in it.

Don't forget this covers center fire long guns too.

Yata hey