• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Gubernatorial Race

Helikopteron

Swartz Creek (Clayton Township), Michigan, USA
imported post

I located the forum because I was looking for information regarding the potential nominees for Michigan's Governor, and wanted more information regarding who will be the most supportive of our OC/CC rights. I was unable to locate a thread devoted to the topic, so I offer this one. I started the process by requesting information from Oakland County Sheriff Mike Bouchard regarding his stance on OC both as a sheriff, as well as potentially our governor. When (if) I receive a response, I will post it here. I would appreciate anyone else having information regarding the views of candidates (their views, not your view of them PLEASE) posting it so that we can use it as a repository to assist in making our decision in the upcoming primary and election.

Michigander

imported post

Following a nasty tangle with his deputies earlier this year at a dinner we did, and a subsequent complaint we sent in, the Sheriff and I talked on the phone.

He basically told me he is extremely pro gun. His exact words on open carry were that he is "philosophically in line with what we're doing".

He had information sent out to untold numbers of PD's. He made sure every member of his staff was trained. There has not been another issue from them. There was basically a local ripple effect of PD's being educated because of his actions and ours.

He told me any time we have concerns about OC in Oakland county to contact him immediately. I consider Sheriff Bouchard to be one of only a few friends we have in the Michigan law enforcement community.

Yooper

imported post

AG Mike Cox is also pro-gun. He issued an Opinion that overturned a past Opinion that allows us to possess fully automatic weapons. He has been aggressive in getting reciprocity agreements signed with other states as far as CPL's are concerned.

Who is the more pro-gun? That is up for debate. However, there should be no debate whether AG Cox or Sheriff Bouchard is better than our current Governor.

Michigander

imported post

Yooper wrote:
However, there should be no debate whether AG Cox or Sheriff Bouchard is better than our current Governor.
Jenny DID write what are probably the most crucial AG opinions for open carrying in Michigan. When she took office, she said she used to be anti gun, and no longer was. With almost 8 years of hindsight, she was telling the truth.

Her other politics are controversial to say the least, but giving credit where it's due, those who open carry in Michigan are from all sides of the political spectrum, and are united only in being pro gun. And therefor, we as a group can't really complain about Jennifer Granholm.

Yooper

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Yooper wrote:
However, there should be no debate whether AG Cox or Sheriff Bouchard is better than our current Governor.
Jenny DID write what are probably the most crucial AG opinions for open carrying in Michigan. When she took office, she said she used to be anti gun, and no longer was. With almost 8 years of hindsight, she was telling the truth.

Her other politics are controversial to say the least, but giving credit where it's due, those who open carry in Michigan are from all sides of the political spectrum, and are united only in being pro gun. And therefor, we as a group can't really complain about Jennifer Granholm.
I agree, and also have been pleasantly surprised that she didn't push for more gun control, considering she was anti-CPL law at first. I do believe though, that she knew if she pushed more gun control, she would have been gone along time ago.

That being said, I don't think she would have signed into law any significant changes to the firearms laws, such as repeal of handgun registration, where I believe we would have a better chance of doing so if Cox or Bouchard were in office.
Also, we need to remember that as the AG, she refused to sign reciprocity agreements with several states (TN comes to mind). It wasn't until Cox was elected AG that we've seen the benefit of our permit being honored by every state that recognizes out of state permits.

mikestilly

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Yooper wrote: 
However, there should be no debate whether AG Cox  or Sheriff Bouchard is better than our current Governor.

I can't say that Granmole was a trade off between gun rights and the state. She's done worse for this state then anyone ever prior to her existence. We've lost the largest population of people in this state ever because of her lack of leadership and excessive taxation. As for Bouchard what has he done for gun rights up to this point? Nothing I can find. I volunteered for Mike Cox at the Mackinac Leadership Conference. I had the chance to speak with him one and on and met his wife. Of all people running Mike gives us much brighter hope. I was very impressed and will continue to volunteer for his campaign.

Mike

Michigander

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
She's done worse for this state then anyone ever prior to her existence. We've lost the largest population of people in this state ever because of her lack of leadership and excessive taxation.
This is getting off topic, but I agree she's a screw up.

But if we're going to be fair, you can't turn goat piss into gasoline.

With the modern trend of buying the cheapest Chinese crap money can buy, our once great industrial state stands no chance. Yes, it could and should be doing better. But as long as people are willing to squander away the US's future by buying foreign garbage, Michigan will be hurting. It would take federal intervention to stop it, and it doesn't seem likely since nafta was pushed through by both Bush the 1st and Klinton, and has encountered almost no significant resistance from the people since it was passed.

In regards to her stance on guns, that is interesting yooper, thank you for the info.

ruger357

imported post

[align=left]We must get all of the original jurisdiction Republic State Governors seated in office. At least study the State’s pre-1962Constitution to verify the process for seating the original jurisdiction Governor.
[/align] [align=left]An original jurisdiction Republic State Governor, can appoint and seat that State’s original jurisdiction National Senators, who can in turn elect and seat an original jurisdiction President of the United States of America, which has not been done since 1913. The States had not had Governors seated since at least 1968.[/align][align=left]The main reason you see the problems our nation faces today is the people have forgotten what our actual government is and they instead act as if these private foreign controlled corporations (Corp. U.S. and the Corp. States) are their government. It’s why the States are not using our national money system. It’s why we are caught up in wars and rumors of war. It is why Corp. U.S. is exactly following the pattern set in Adolf Hitler’s Germany, most recently by setting up a national personal identification system and the “Homeland Security Police” system after the pattern of Hitler’s “State Security Police” the dreaded SS![/align] [align=left]As the nation’s Land owners, we must continue to seat our original jurisdiction government and take America back!!![/align] [align=left]The results will be: All federal personal and corporate income taxes will cease! We will go back on the gold and silver monetary standard (which the nation never left but Corp. U.S. did). The alleged National Debt will be ended and what is owed to us will be returned. The Fascistic Regime operated by Corp. U.S., which they call a Democracy, will be peacefully and lawfully ended in favor of our national Republic’s Laws. This will happen when Corp. U.S. is brought back into our nation’s ownership and control. The real national government will be reset on our Constitution. All of your rights will once again be recognized and secured.[/align][align=left]Why the heck not?;)
[/align]

mikestilly

imported post

ruger357 wrote:
[align=left]We must get all of the original jurisdiction Republic State Governors seated in office.  At least study the State’s pre-1962 Constitution to verify the process for seating the original jurisdiction Governor. 
[/align] [align=left]An original jurisdiction Republic State Governor, can appoint and seat that State’s original jurisdiction National Senators, who can in turn elect and seat an original jurisdiction President of the United States of America, which has not been done since 1913.  The States had not had Governors seated since at least 1968.[/align][align=left]The main reason you see the problems our nation faces today is the people have forgotten what our actual government is and they instead act as if these private foreign controlled corporations (Corp. U.S. and the Corp. States) are their government.  It’s why the States are not using our national money system.  It’s why we are caught up in wars and rumors of war.  It is why Corp. U.S. is exactly following the pattern set in Adolf Hitler’s Germany, most recently by setting up a national personal identification system and the “Homeland Security Police” system after the pattern of Hitler’s “State Security Police” the dreaded SS![/align] [align=left]As the nation’s Land owners, we must continue to seat our original jurisdiction government and take America back!!![/align] [align=left]The results will be:  All federal personal and corporate income taxes will cease!  We will go back on the gold and silver monetary standard (which the nation never left but Corp. U.S. did).  The alleged National Debt will be ended and what is owed to us will be returned.  The Fascistic Regime operated by Corp. U.S., which they call a Democracy, will be peacefully and lawfully ended in favor of our national Republic’s Laws.  This will happen when Corp. U.S. is brought back into our nation’s ownership and control.  The real national government will be reset on our Constitution.  All of your rights will once again be recognized and secured. [/align][align=left]Why the heck not?;)
[/align]

:celebrate It's always nice to dream :)

Michigander

imported post

Helikopteron wrote:
No response to my original request of Mike Bouchard concerning his official position as of yet. Will keep you updated!

I told him in no uncertain terms that what he told me would be made public, and he was emphatic about being pro gun and pro open carry. So unless he gets back to you and says different, I'd say it's fair to consider that his view point.

He is a busy man as a Sheriff, which he told me about as he apologized for the 8 or 10 days it took him to get back to me about the Boston Market incident. I imagine he now has a lot more on his mind with the race for Governor. Running for any state or federal political position is a big team effort and a massive task to take on. That said, if they're doing it right, someone should get back to you within a reasonable time frame with answers to questions.

mikestilly

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Helikopteron wrote:
No response to my original request of Mike Bouchard concerning his official position as of yet.  Will keep you updated!

I told him in no uncertain terms that what he told me would be made public, and he was emphatic about being pro gun and pro open carry. So unless he gets back to you and says different, I'd say it's fair to consider that his view point.

He is a busy man as a Sheriff, which he told me about as he apologized for the 8 or 10 days it took him to get back to me about the Boston Market incident. I imagine he now has a lot more on his mind with the race for Governor. Running for any state or federal political position is a big team effort and a massive task to take on. That said, if they're doing it right, someone should get back to you within a reasonable time frame with answers to questions.

If a polition doesnt go on the record then the answer is unknown and could be anything. Just because he says something inconfidence doesnt mean a damn thing. The fact he wont go public says a lot in my opinion. What has he done for gun rights? I cant find a thing asside from his political comments. At least with Mike Cox we have a ton of documented proof. He's by far been the most pro gun rights polition in Michigan whose proved he can get the job done. Not soneone with an empty box and hypotheticals.

Mike

Bronson

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
If a polition doesnt go on the record then the answer is unknown and could be anything. Just because he says something inconfidence doesnt mean a damn thing.
What is Mr. Cox's official position on open carry? What is his position on firearms registration? If you could direct me to official, on record, statements I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bronson

Michigander

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
If a polition doesnt go on the record then the answer is unknown and could be anything. Just because he says something inconfidence doesnt mean a damn thing. The fact he wont go public says a lot in my opinion. What has he done for gun rights? I cant find a thing asside from his political comments. At least with Mike Cox we have a ton of documented proof. He's by far been the most pro gun rights polition in Michigan whose proved he can get the job done. Not soneone with an empty box and hypotheticals.

Mike

In confidence? I do not understand what you are talking about. As far as I know, in confidence means off the record, which this wasn't. He told me, knowing that I would repeat what he said to anyone who would listen, that he is pro gun rights and pro open carry.

The way he proved this is by going way out of his way to make sure that we weren't harassed by his officers, as well as otherdepartments officers that patrol within Oakland County.For example, I know for a fact the TroyPD worked with the OCSD to make sure we are left alone.

Mike Cox legalized transferable non C and R full autos after a lot of pestering. I personally would rather regain have my rightsto get tasers, switchblades, SBR/SBS'sand suppressers.

So honestly, NEITHER have done that much, but to say Mike has done nothing for us would be untrue. But it certainly is a legit complaint that he should be up front with us, especially if given enough time to respond.

Please understand, I am not trying to defend Sheriff Bouchard as the ideal candidate for governer. I'm not sure at this point that I want to vote for him or Mike Cox. I'm just trying to call the facts as I see them.

T Vance

imported post

Michigander wrote:
In confidence? I do not understand what you are talking about. As far as I know, in confidence means off the record, which this wasn't. He told me, knowing that I would repeat what he said to anyone who would listen, that he is pro gun rights and pro open carry.

But is there video or audio evidence of this statement? I'm not saying that it's not the stance he would take (the stance he told you he), but people do lie to people all the time "behind closed doors". Hell, manypoliticians do it live on the air all the way until November, then as soon as they get elected and someone else is pulling at their strings they quickly change their ideas that they once used to get themselves elected.

Michigander

imported post

Definitely no audio or video, just my word. And it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

T Vance wrote:
Hell, manypoliticians do it live on the air all the way until November, then as soon as they get elected and someone else is pulling at their strings they quickly change their ideas that they once used to get themselves elected.
No doubt.

Like my favorite early Bush quote.

"This will be the generation that saves social security".

And much like my word, Bush's word was worth what it cost you to hear it.

mikestilly

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Definitely no audio or video, just my word. And it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

T Vance wrote:
Hell, many politicians do it live on the air all the way until November, then as soon as they get elected and someone else is pulling at their strings they quickly change their ideas that they once used to get themselves elected.
No doubt.

Like my favorite early Bush quote.

"This will be the generation that saves social security".

And much like my word, Bush's word was worth what it cost you to hear it.

I equate what a politician says in private to read my lips no new taxes lol

Helikopteron

Swartz Creek (Clayton Township), Michigan, USA
imported post

Although it is not an offical statement from his campaign, it will help us recognize and changes from then until now.

Mike Bouchard on Gun Control(Reprinted from www.ontheissues.org)

No assault weapon ban; no gun dealer liability Q: Do you think Federal Firearms Licensed Dealers should be liable if the products they sell are used in a crime?A: No
Q: Would you support the Federal Assault Weapons Ban if it came up again?
A: No
Q: Do you think the 2nd Amendment is a collective or individual right?
A: I think the 2nd Amendment is a broad based right that guarantees the rights of people in all states, so it's individual, and by shape broader than that.
Source: Interview with MI Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners PAC Dec 1, 2005
Concealed carry ok Q: Would you support legislation to issue a Federal Concealed Carry Permit that included all 50 states for US citizens?A: Yes
Q: Would you place restrictions on where they would carry and what would they be.
A: There would be some places that would have restrictions, for example courtrooms, places that are dispute resolution oriented, airports (sterile area), those that are directly affecting the security of us all.
Q: Do you support the Michigan Concealed Carry Law?
A: Yes.
Source: Interview with MI Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners PAC Dec 1, 2005