Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adopt-A-Highway - OC Litter Pick-up Event and Lunch - Sun. Dec. 6th

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Time for another litter pick-up along Route 7. We adopted a 2 mile section of Route 7 between the toll road and Beulah. You can view the V-DOT the Adopt-A-Highway sign listing OpenCarry.org from either direction.

We will meet at 9:00 AM on Sunday December 6th and try to begin working as quickly as we can get organized.

We will have safety vests, road signs and trash bags. How much of the road we do this day depends on how many people RSVP and show up. Teams of 3 work well (two litter pickers and a bag wrangler). Afterward, we will head to Reston Champpsfor lunch.

Please RSVP on the URL that will follow. It will have directions, etc.

Your Humble Servant,
    useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

useful_idiot wrote:
    http://tinyurl.com/ocaah120609
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Ed and or chuck, I d'ontknow who posted the vdot video before the last pickup ,but a repost of that link would do no harm to those of us that tend to wander into trafic for no reason. I cannot find the link or I would do it myself.

signs will be up 8:30 am

Ray

Post imported post

meo wrote:
    Ed and or chuck, I d'ontknow who posted the vdot video before the last pickup ,but a repost of that link would do no harm to those of us that tend to wander into trafic for no reason. I cannot find the link or I would do it myself.

signs will be up 8:30 am

Ray
    I'll give it a shot.
    [flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMqWWj4xT4M[/flash]

If it doesn't embed, here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMqWWj4xT4M

and here's the RSVP again:

ed wrote:
    useful_idiot wrote:
    http://tinyurl.com/ocaah120609

Post imported post

Thanks Nova, I can't find my butt with both hands on line.

Post imported post

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/xMqWWj4xT4M&hl=en_US&fs=1[/flash]
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Sorry guys, I'll be out of the country...

Post imported post

See you all there!

For those of you who have not done this event before, the first pickup took all morning, since the road had not been policed in awhile.

Now that we have done this for a year, we spend about 2-2 1/2 hours picking up trash if we get a decent turnout.

And the long term weather foreast for this event indicates that the temperature will be 25º to 30º warmer that our first event was.:what:

Post imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:

And the long term weather foreast for this event indicates that the temperature will be 25º to 30º warmer that our first event was.:what:
    So that means it will be around 30-40º then?

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Glock27Bill wrote:

Shhhhhh...don't chase away the newbees.

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Glock27Bill wrote:

It's all about dressing in layers. Lots of them.

Post imported post

In Ed's spirit of getting more VCDL members, I will buy a membership for any non-member who shows up at this event.

Post imported post

Riana wrote:
    nova wrote:
    Glock27Bill wrote:

It's all about dressing in layers. Lots of them.
    Hehe I'm used to layers. In fact, I just got a new orange vest that will fit over my heavy coat (my other one was too small even though it fits me fine during the summer months I came to the litter pickups)

Post imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
    In Ed's spirit of getting more VCDL members, I will buy a membership for any non-member who shows up at this event.
    Nice move Bill, If TWO show up I will get the second one.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

OK.. I am not trying to be a party pooper here.. but Snow is forecast now for Saturday. If the grass/shoulder next to route 7 is going to be wet and dirty with car spray with each pass I am gonna bail. The cold does not bother me as much as slipping into traffic or being sprayed with mud water and salt. :-)
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    OK.. I am not trying to be a party pooper here.. but Snow is forecast now for Saturday. If the grass/shoulder next to route 7 is going to be wet and dirty with car spray with each pass I am gonna bail. The cold does not bother me as much as slipping into traffic or being sprayed with mud water and salt. :-)
    How about if the weather's crummy we just make it a lunch at Champps around noon?

You're right about that though, safety is a top priority, we don't need anyone getting hurt or dead.

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    ed wrote:
    How about if the weather's crummy we just make it a lunch at Champps around noon?

You're right about that though, safety is a top priority, we don't need anyone getting hurt or dead.
    Fine with me.

Who's gonna make the call?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
    nova wrote:
    ed wrote:

Fine with me.

Who's gonna make the call?
    My NOAA weather forecaster says "we should have a much better picture of thetotal moisture and the QPF by tomorrow (friday) evening." I doubt it's cold enough to stick, but I'm not interested in a lot of splashing or slush spray either.

Do we want to decide Friday eveningor wait until Saturday?

Post imported post

useful_idiot wrote:
    Do we want to decide Friday evening
    yes
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

I don't mind cold either, but wet AND cold doesn't sound like much fun. So noon-time lunch is fine, if it's just too bad out.

Also, if there's a litter pickup,it will probably be just me - hubby and son are going on a three-mile hike with a local Boy Scout troop on Saturday (yes, even if it's snowing), so I expect they'll spend Sunday inside the nice warm house. But I might be able to coax them out for lunch.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

The smart money sayswe cancel this one. Snow duration and accumulation numbers are rising.

I propose the next attempt be after the holidays, but I am open to doing it before then if enough people are interested.

Your Humble Servant,

useful_idiot

Post imported post

useful_idiot wrote:
    The smart money sayswe cancel this one. Snow duration and accumulation numbers are rising.

I propose the next attempt be after the holidays, but I am open to doing it before then if enough people are interested.

Your Humble Servant,

useful_idiot
    Agree.. lets make it a LUNCH ONLY event.. No litter pick-up
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

useful_idiot wrote:

Your Humble Servant,

useful_idiot
    The closer we get to the holiday, the less time it seems I've got. But I might be able to schedule a January pickup.

See you all Sunday at lunch.

Post imported post

useful_idiot wrote:
    Time for another litter pick-up along Route 7. We adopted a 2 mile section of Route 7 between the toll road and Beulah. You can view the V-DOT the Adopt-A-Highway sign listing OpenCarry.org from either direction.

We will meet at 9:00 AM on Sunday December 6th and try to begin working as quickly as we can get organized.

We will have safety vests, road signs and trash bags. How much of the road we do this day depends on how many people RSVP and show up. Teams of 3 work well (two litter pickers and a bag wrangler). Afterward, we will head to Reston Champpsfor lunch.

Your Humble Servant,
    useful_idiot
    BTW i cruise down Beulah frequently! I will be there if its Kosher

Post imported post

tobo wrote:
    useful_idiot wrote:

Your Humble Servant,
    useful_idiot
    BTW i cruise down Beulah frequently! I will be there if its Kosher
    due to the weather we're not doing the litter pickup this weekend, we're instead just meeting for lunch at Champps in Reston @ noon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast