• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In Front Yard!

OpenCarryDefense

imported post

Lived in Church Point, Louisiana since 1997. Was Once a police officer here, so I know that most of what we have now "have not" been trained with a Academy of Great Instruction. I will admit my instruction at ALETA 103 academy was well close to earning a Law Degree.
Anyway, walking in front yard as I have for 12 years, and guess what November 9th someone called Police Department and said a man was walking with a pistol in his front yard. Well, seems dispatcher doesn't know me and directed two Patrol units to location. I went outside and just outside my fence was shotguns drawn and LEO C. an officer asking where my gun was...I responded so polite and said on my porch. He then begin to tell me he was sent on a call for someone carrying a weapon. I explained to him who I was, how I have always carried my weapon on my person in open carry and he looked as if I had violated some law. This in itself told me he was not educated in legal law of the State of Louisiana and I explained I carry everywhere I go for safety. He over a period of a few minutes with my nice educational talent decided I was an O.K. Person. It is a shame Law enforcement officers are not mandated a complete POST Academy training they need and instead get minimal training to become officers.

Wish me luck as I will not rely on a police officer to protect me at my home.
Nice Site here. Thanks

turbodog

imported post

Welcome to the forum! You've got it right, don't depend on the police to protect you and always be polite when interacting with anyone, especially LEO. People just don't expect it. :D

georg jetson

imported post

Mr. OpenCarryDefense, please tell me you will be pursing this by filing a law suit against Officer Charlie and the local police department.

tntorqu

imported post

What gets me if someone is walking around with a gun people automatically think that people is going to rob their house. Thats the reason why they call the police just so they can make drama out of nothing. Oh and welcome to the site im new here too.

OpenCarryDefense

imported post

LEO C. hasn't pushed his "Police use of force" for me to engage him in violation of Rights as of yet. But, knowing this township and such. I will be arrested in my yard one day and guess what, I have always as well had live video feed for protection of my yard and children outside. 5 camera's So, when they do come, there will be video and I will take it all the way to the cleaners to collect funds. Then maybe buy some more sidearms for my older children as well.

To everyone. Remember Never speak if arrested. Use your 5th and say only your name ask for a lawyer and don't even nod your head or cross your arms. What a police officers asks you, even if your innocent can be used against you and will be to close a case. Police officer or department heads will do whatever they can to close a case and innocent people do get prison time.
There is a law whereby you can resist an illegal arrest, but the process is so hard to prove, better to be polite then sue the pants off the people who stand to take away our rights.

Thanks everyone for sayin' hello...welcome.

rmansu2

imported post

georg jetson wrote:
Mr. OpenCarryDefense, please tell me you will be pursing this by filing a law suit against Officer Charlie and the local police department.

What exactly do you think he can file suit for?

From this incident, it sounds like he was on his own property and they were outside of his property. If the encounter only took a few minutes, I don't see illegal detainment as an issue.

Sounds like you handled yourself well. (As if you were prepared for this to happen)

Welcome. It's always good to have LEO's and former LEO's on our side.

georg jetson

imported post

rmansu2 wrote:
georg jetson wrote:

What exactly do you think he can file suit for?

From this incident, it sounds like he was on his own property and they were outside of his property. If the encounter only took a few minutes, I don't see illegal detainment as an issue.

Sounds like you handled yourself well. (As if you were prepared for this to happen)

Welcome. It's always good to have LEO's and former LEO's on our side.
His initial story left out some facts... I didn't ask for him to elaborate after he responded to me. If he was stopped and questioned simply because OCing, he has a case. Detention is defensible only if reasonable suspicion of a crime exists.

OpenCarryDefense

imported post

Well I don't get legal advise from Internet. Being fully trained in law enforcement and knowing the laws and my rights prepared me for the encounter. Hopefully others can get a little informations like staying calm, reducing the highjer fear levels of LEO's and then informing them of the laws on a stab;e calm ground.
Have a great weekend.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

OpenCarryDefense wrote:
Well I don't get legal advise from Internet. Being fully trained in law enforcement and knowing the laws and my rights prepared me for the encounter. Hopefully others can get a little informations like staying calm, reducing the highjer fear levels of LEO's and then informing them of the laws on a stab;e calm ground.
Have a great weekend.
I wasn't referring to you, you did fine.

georg jetson

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
Man, I'm glad I don't get legal advice from the internet.
I don't see anything in this thread that would be considered as even close to legal advise. If you have construed it as such, you may want to stay off of the internet completely until any legal matters you have been settled.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

georg jetson wrote:
Louisiana Carry wrote:
I don't see anything in this thread that would be considered as even close to legal advise. If you have construed it as such, you may want to stay off of the internet completely until any legal matters you have been settled.

Uh-huh.

Look, suing someone is a waste of time unless you can prove damages. The suit revolves around that. If you say to the judge, "He kept me from gardening for five whole minutes!" this is all the judge is going to hear:

hurr.jpg

But by all means, sue away.

Point of information: I am not anti-lawsuit. I am in college with the eventual goal of achieving a juris doctorate for the sole purpose of suing municipalities and government entities over firearm rights violations. But I intend to do it in an organized and intelligent manner.

georg jetson

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
georg jetson wrote:
Louisiana Carry wrote:

Uh-huh.

Look, suing someone is a waste of time unless you can prove damages. The suit revolves around that. If you say to the judge, "He kept me from gardening for five whole minutes!" this is all the judge is going to hear:

Your post was irrelevant and non responsive
... what exactly did you construe as legal advice?

Louisiana Carry

imported post

georg jetson wrote:
Louisiana Carry wrote:
georg jetson wrote:
Louisiana Carry wrote:

Uh-huh.

Your post was irrelevant and non responsive
... what exactly did you construe as legal advice?

You're right.

Nevermind.