• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On Veteran's Day, a thought for those who answered the call

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Here's a little something I wrote in the 90's that I would like to share with you good people - especially our veterans, current and inactive.

Veteran's Day

Patriotism. Blind nationalism you say?

Tell it to the merchant opening his shop for the day's business.
Tell it to the fisherman as he hauls in the sea's rich bounty.
Tell it to the teacher as she guides her class through the morning's lesson.
Tell it to the child watching a Veteran's Day parade.

And then,

Tell it to the final resting place of the young soldier who gave up all of his tomorrows so that you might have today.

Tell it to the man in the wheelchair who stills suffers from the scars of a Bulge or a Normandy or a Tarawa or a Pork Chop Hill or a Tet Offensive, and would do it all again.

Tell it to the countless mothers and fathers and wives and brothers and sisters of those who have answered their country's call and gave their all.

Then tell it to the old man, marching proud and straight as he passes the child watching his Veteran's Day parade, the little eyes filled with wonder and awe at the sight.

Patriotism. Blind nationalism you say? I say pride and love of country, of the people who work and make it great, of the precious gifts we enjoy each day, and of those who though may only live in memory, shall forever live in our hearts.