• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

brand spankin new

bradpierson26

imported post

Hey everyone, i am brand new here and to handguns as well. i have a couple of questions that im sure have been covered many times so please forgive me.

I live in greeley and am attending UNC.(weld county) and wok in centerra. (also weld county i think)
I am very aware about no OC or CCW on campus - im writing a 15pg research paper about CCW right now actually.
I am 19.
I am about to purchase my first handgun, a full size USP .45 from my buddies dad.
I know basically nothing about OC.... but i have come here with open ears
my biggest question is: when does OC cross into concealed carry?
also, i need a good holster. is the crossbreed snapslide a good choice? im also looking at crossbreed gun belts.

thanks a bunch!

Evil Ernie

imported post

Welcome Brad!!!

There's not really much info on definitions for OC and CC as far as Colorado law is concerned. There's no "printing" rules as in TX, and no holster specs for CC or OC. Concealed in CO implies full coverage with no exposure of any component of the sidearm. OC would be carrying in a manner that there would be no mistake that a sidearm is being carried. Go figure. I'm just happy there's a big gray area for interpretation. It allows those of us with CO CCW's to carry as we wish, as long as we abide by the basic rules (gov't buildings, schools, airports, Denver, etc).

Oh and as far as holsters? Buy and try, I have holsters that I thought I would like, but ended up going with something else.

Right now I carry a 1911 in a Blackhawk CQC Serpa. But sometimes I'll change over to a leather shoulder rig. Just depends on my mood, destination, climate, comfort level, whatever.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I would recommend Serpa as well for OC. I have a Serpa level III. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but well worth it in retention!

mahkagari

imported post

As you note you'renew to handguns, I'll just chime in that the most important thing you can procure is PRACTICE. The fanciest holster and gun are no more useful than paperclips without that.

The advice I've seen is to "commit" to one way or the other. Especially since you're too young to have the backup of a CCW if a LEO accuses you of "trying to conceal". You may beat the charge, but you'll want to ask yourself if it's worth the hassle and legal costs. Ifyou're partiallyOC, then you're partially CC. If you don't have a CCW, they won't let you of foronly "kinda" breaking the law. Go with the "reasonable man" arguement.If you saw you would you think you were trying to CC? Or is thegun plainly visible to a "reasonable man" paying reasonable attention?

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Just make sure that you carry in an outside the waste band holster, and that your t-shirt is TUCKED so it can't possibly cover the firearm.