• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't talk to cops

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Most regulars to OCDO are familiar with this video. It's great!

Bear in mind 'not talking to cops' takes practice, lots of practice.
You are fighting decades of conditioning that police are here to help you.
Parts of you will be convinced that if you could just 'level' with the guy or 'help him see your side' that he'll leave you be and let you go about your lawful business. Not true. If you want to talk to the cop that illegally detained you, shut up, ask if you're free to go, then walk straight home and write him a nice letter here. I promise he'll be around soon enough to read it :)

Watch me fail at my own advice to shut up here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxP9yaEcNm0

Boy, the things I wanted to say/ask during that encounter. None of which would help my situation. Listen for the awkward pause at 1:15.