• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Converted an anti...

tyguy808

imported post

A few weeks ago I was chatting with a contractor out on my boat (work), he was going on and on about how Nickels gun ban was gonna do wonders for the City of Seattle. I asked him if he ever walked through a park in Seattle at night, a weekend night perhaps, he said "never, it's too dangerous." I proceeded to go into "if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." He lives in Ballard and I asked if he knew average police response times for that area (5-7 minutes), he said he had no idea.

Anyhow, I ran into him today, he told me that that very afternoon he went to some gun shop (I can't remember where he said) and bought a Kel-Tec 9mm semi. He even went and bought a holster and applied for a CPL. He only intends to use it for home protection til his CPL arrives, then he will CC. None the less, one less of "those guys"!

Score one for the good guys!!!!

John Hardin

imported post

Yay!

But...

Training? Familiarization with the laws and the philosophy and the responsibility of armed self-defense? Buy him a copy of Mas Ayoob's "In The Gravest Extreme" or a similar book as a "welcome aboard" present...

tyguy808

imported post

The guy in question actually has family near me. So, I invited him to come up and go "play" with me. He seems like he would pick up on it really quick. He shouldn't be too hard to convert to OC either, he mentioned that he actually found, on his own, this site. I failed to ask if he joined, but if you did, say HI!

ETA: to self: "stupid! stupid! check your spelling and grammar!"

gsx1138

imported post

I went through a similar transformation.

I had a .22 as a kid and some guns in my early 20's. Then for some stupid reason I equated all my poor decisions to my guns and went full on ANTI. 10 years later and now fully involved in my own search for enlightenment I decided that I should research all of my opinions with facts. Well, I'm not remotely ANTI anymore. And I actually thing gun laws are too strict.

grishnav

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
Buy him a copy of Mas Ayoob's "In The Gravest Extreme" or a similar book as a "welcome aboard" present...
Emphasis being on "a similar book." In the Gravest Extreme is horrible dribble and nonsense with a few useful nuggets that accidentally made it in, somehow. I can't even give away my copy. It's still up for grabs. Any takers?