• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts on Military bases not allowing OC/CC

Pavegunner

imported post

Most stateside bases have the same firearm rules(some may vary slightly):

1. Private firearms are only allowed at the skeet/firing range, carried while hunting, at your home on base (properly registered by your unit commander and MP's)(not allowed in dormitories), or locked up at the base MP armory (with your commanders prior written approval).

MP's keep a list of all registered weapons stored in base housing to cross ref during DV calls. So much for privacy.

2. Carry of private firearms while in uniform is never permitted, even when you are driving offbase to your house or to lunch. (I assume this is for liability reasons- a pretty chicken _ _ _ _ rule) So ccw or not, being in uniform gets you in military trouble even if you get a clean kill off-base.

3. Passing though the gate, your private weapon needs to be unloaded and in a case separate from the ammo, and then on its way to (see #1 above). MP random inpections NEVER include the person who's private vehicle is being searched.

This said, I know MANY servicemen who realize that protecting themselves and those around them in an inherent right they should not have to give up because they wear the uniform.

They choose to carry concealed everyday when driving to/from work etc. Most lock the weapons in their vehicles during the workday.

Curiously, General Officers are provided a personal Government issued pistol they are authorized byDoDto carry to protect themselves with presumably because they are higher value targetsthan a lowly private. Not sure I can remember the last time I heard of aGO being targetedon U.S.soil-can you?

I doubt the CCW issue will ever be tackled on military bases. It is the same reason they use to invadethe personal dormitory rooms, vehicles, and houses on base- "out ofmilitary necessity/good order and conduct etc" nowadays, just being in uniform makes servicemen a target though I doubt they will extend theDoD rulesto cover those without stars on their shoulders.

The biggest danger in this is NOT (according to General Casey, Army Chief of Staff) "a loss of diversity"

- it's the fact that the terrorists now know how defenselesstroops are on base and how easy it is to get on a base in the U.S.

DEROS72

imported post

These are Isreali soldiers in a PX at one of their bases .Note 30 rnd mags in their belts.In Isreal every man and women is required to serve 2 years in their military.Probably would not have some islamic nut job shoot this one up.Wouldn't get far.

israeli-rifle-girls.jpg