• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is your favorite caliber between...9mm...40..and 45? and Why?

Hellbilly

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote: got shot point-blank to the back of his head with a .38, the ER doctor peeled the flattened slug off his thick skull, stitched up his scalp, and kept him overnight for observation. I witnessed the guy coming in to the ER, and the docter showed me the flattened slug after removal, this was at Grant Hospital in Chicago circa 1994

There was powder burns on this guys head!! that is how close the shooter was, and the projectile did not penetrate his skull.

The same thing happened a year or so ago except it was a shot to the forehead by a MP-5 . It was close range inside a room and the shot was made by a LEO.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Some excellent points in this thread.

I carry a Sig.229 in 40 and .357 Sig. (Switch out the barrel for my choice)

Why?

The U.S. Secret Service carries this identical firearm to defend POTUS. If it is good enough to protect POTUS then it is good enough to protect me and my love ones.

It is reliable EVERYTIME. It is accurate. It stops and still is able to give me 12 +1.

45acpForMe

imported post

Another caliber thread. :uhoh:

My choice has always been 45acp. My only problem with 45acp has been capacity. Some of my favorite guns, Sig P220, 1911's only had 7-8 in the magazine.

Glock 21and Springfield XD have 13 and the H&K USP has 12.

I have a Para Ordinance Big Hawg on order 14+1 and if it performs like my other 1911's it may be my new carry gun.

Everyone is different and feels comfortable with what they feel comfortable. I wouldn't recommend someone to shoot a caliber that they couldn't control or felt uncomfortable with. Part of the fun of shooting is trying different guns and calibers to see what you like the best.

The bigger problem is that there are so many GOOD guns out there to own.... :celebrate

KansasMustang

imported post

Mike_Hawke wrote:
DreQo wrote:
I thought about this a few years back and settled on the .40 S&W. I wanted something with more energy than a 9mm round, and I wanted more round capacity than any .45 handgun can offer. On top of all of that, the .40 can deliver more energy than either of the other rounds.

Amazing (and yet not surprising) that you're the only one in the thread to mention this. These things tend to turninto ".45 is so strong!!!!!""Need so much power!! .45!!!! yea!!!" No one seems to realize that .45 isn't that powerful. Even most 9mm +p rounds have more muzzle energy than standard pressure .45 ACP. In the grand scheme ofthings, the difference in"stopping power" is so miniscule as to be insignificant.

Personally, I prefer 9mm. It's accurate and it offerswhat actuallymattersin a self-defense situation - large ammocapacity.
Having said all that about the 9mm in truth had you read the article about the stopping power from the forensic medical side, I wouldn't carry a 9mm to a gunfight. Probably not even to a knife fight. I want something that's gonna knock em down first time every time. A "Mog" drill is okay, but why expend ammunition if not necessary? Just me sayin' it.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

getzmel wrote:
stopping power...

why did they make the .45 cal.?

read the history of .45....:idea:
And when your done reading that, read about why the Isreali's came up with the Desert Eagle .50 Cal....

They all have their purposes, they all have theirshortcomings. Shoot what feels good in your hand, and that you can hit the target with, then match a capacity that makes you feel comfortable.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
9mm FMJ;
That is the only 9mm ammo I have ever seen at stores that are not gun specific, (wally-world and such)
I have yet to see any HP 9mm anywhere except at my local gun-shop, so that is why I think so many people have and expect to use 9mm FMJ for their defensivve round.

All of the Wal Marts I have ever entered stock 50 round boxes of Hollow Point 9mm ammo. They may be out at one isolated time or another, but the sku has an open slot on the shelf when this is the case. Most of the time this is the Winchester "white box" Personal Defense ammo.

Wal Marts are now starting to carry specialized HP ammo in 20 rd boxes. This is the Winchester PDX1 which is a bonded cartridge. This is an advanced modern defense round.

I have purchased most all of my 9mm, .40 and .45 defense rounds at Wal Mart.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
getzmel wrote:
stopping power...

why did they make the .45 cal.?

read the history of .45....:idea:
And when your done reading that, read about why the Isreali's came up with the Desert Eagle .50 Cal....

The .50AE was designedfor the Desert Eagle, but not by the Israelis, for hunting deer sized game and larger (also an excellent hog round). This round has evolved further foruse in the AR15 platform as the .50 Beowulf.

Big and slow kills animals. Small and fast kills animals. Shot placement trumps magic bullets every time. Shot placement is more critical for many small rounds. A .223 is less forgiving than a .308 for killing deer. The same goes for a 9mm vs a .357.

As Open Carriers, our primary job is to evade a threat if one arises. We are not there to stop a crime in progress as we are not the Police. Police are obligated to engage and stop the threat and arrest the person who is the threat. A 7 round micro 1911 in 9mm suits our purpose. If you personally are not effective with such a firearm, then you should choose something else. There are no magic bullets and there is no "perfect" firearm or caliber for everyone and every carry situation.

SlowDog

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Bugs on a windshield pretty much prove the "big slow bullet" theory.:lol:
Huh? Do you mean the bigger the bug the bigger the splat? Like in bigger bullet spread out means bigger "splat"?hehehehe:lol::lol:

CZ MAK DADDY

imported post

I have a couple guns chambered for 45 and it is a great round but not my favorite. the 45 is great at what it was intended for and that is to be a man stopper. the only draw backs with the 45 is in some of your smaller and/or lighter pistols the recoil is amoresnappy. the size of the round limits capacity, and also in some pistols increases grip lenth and width. the round is not intended to be used againt body armor either. but, because of it slow speed (800fps +-)andsize it usally won't over penetrate making it safer for everyone but the lucky duck that got one in the chest.

I have owned 1 40cal gun that i got in a unfair trade that was in my favor.which was a Berreta Model 96, that i fired but had to get ride of because i hate Berreta. Their Customer sevice is terrible and i had aBerreta years back. that was forlack of a better word falling a part. so i dident get a chance to fully test the round.

Ahhh the 9mm,designed by the Germans in 1902to beused in the Luger pistol. the 9mm is "one of the most " mass producedcenterfirepistol rounds known to man and thats why they are so cheap. The 45, whichwas designed in 1904is heavily produced too. but don't under estimatethe 9mm because of it's size. It is a very high pressure round that out performs the 38 special round. the9mm allows a higher capacity and a smaller grip with less recoil. there are unlimited options as far as self defence loads. it has a flater trajectory making it a very accurate. it is used by so many countries around the world i lost count. more than half of our law enforment usethe 9mm.our military and most governmnt agentcies use the round too.

so in case you can't tell the 9mm is my favorite.

SlowDog

imported post

But really though... 9mm vs 10mm? Best gun I regret ever trading off & hopefully will replace soon! Colt Delta Elite.... sweet gun! Was 450.00 when I bought my last one. Now around a grand.:cry:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SlowDog wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Huh? Do you mean the bigger the bug the bigger the splat? Like in bigger bullet spread out means bigger "splat"?hehehehe:lol::lol:

Yea, a Buick works on just about anything from Ant(i)s to Zebra, so it is fairly obvious that big heavy stuff moving slow works. Works with cars AND firearms. Very reliable physics at play there.

Where is Grapeshot?

He can verify the stories about guys during the war between the states having a problem on the battle field seeing BIG cannon balls bouncing across the field and thinking they were spent. Some were moving so slow that soldiers would put their foot out to kick them, and it would take their legs right off. Big, heavy, and slow will get you every time.

But since I can't carry a Buick in a holster, I use a .45 ... or ....Well a .50 is good too.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
SlowDog wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Yea, a Buick works on just about anything from Ant(i)s to Zebra, so it is fairly obvious that big heavy stuff moving slow works. Works with cars AND firearms. Very reliable physics at play there.

Where is Grapeshot?

He can verify the stories about guys during the war between the states having a problem on the battle field seeing BIG cannon balls bouncing across the field and thinking they were spent. Some were moving so slow that soldiers would put their foot out to kick them, and it would take their legs right off. Big, heavy, and slow will get you every time.

But since I can't carry a Buick in a holster, I use a .45 ... or ....Well a .50 is good too
Does playing alone outside make you nervous Hawk? I am right here. :lol:

The eternal (infernal) caliber debate continues ad nasium.

Cliff Note version:

Any caliber you have with you is better that none.

Recent advances in ammo development make any of the popular defensive calibers effective enough in most instances, but bigger generally translates to better.

Primary (popular) calibers are: .380; .38/357; 9mm; .40 & .45 Know 9 isn't caliber
I limit my comments to these loadings for sake of brevity.

The .380 is as small as I would go - don't personally own or want one though. With the right load/rd. they will get the job done if the operator does his job.

A .38 is a step up but is limited to revolvers and still not in my selection range for primary carry. The .357 mag was the standard to which all others were compared - it does tend to recoil heavily with a lot of muzzle flash. It is my favorite revolver load.

The 9mm is a decent round - high cap guns avail. - chosen by armies all over the world, not because it was the best - but because the weapon held more ammo and more ammo could be carried by weight. Fine for supply/transport, but not for the grunts IMO, especially not in FMJ. Moves fast, hits hard enough with right projectile.

The old/new .40 cal - very snappy rd in small or light guns - some say a baby 10mm.
Most loads are very snappy, especially in compacts. Excellent round that hits very hard. Yes I know I left off the 10mm. : )

And then we have the .45 ACP - chambered most often in a 1911 brilliantly designed by the Rt. Rev. John Moses Browning. (Think maybe I like it?) Slower than others above - yep. Frontal area and foot pounds more than make up the difference and the felt recoil is more of a shove/push in your hand than a sharp/hard hit.

The .45 ACP has been repeatedly selected by elite teams, special units, competitive shooters, service personnel that have a choice and a large percentage of people here. It is a popular gun/load for a reason - it works fantastically well. In my book it is numero uno. Isn't this to what everybody compares these days.....hmmm.

I carry Corbon DPX and Federal HST exclusively. Three eight round mags gives me 25 rds of southern comfort.

Bottom line - Their stings range from yellow jacket to wood hornet. I would not chose to be in front of any of these, but I prefer to stand behind a .45. Don't mind a few pounds of .45 riding quietly and politely on my belt.

Make your choice based upon your own needs and standards (YMMV), but carry something and carry it responsibly.

Yata hey

inbox485

imported post

Once you have a round that penetrates 12" - 16", the only difference between 9/40/45 is the trade-off between the size of the wound channel, and the magazine capacity. Since PRK limits me to 10 and 45ACP X 10 fits in a XD45 compact, there's no reason to consider 9 or 40. In free states with gold dot 9mm's that expand to 3/4" (think shotgun slug diameter) and XDm's that hold 19 of them, there is a trade-off to consider. And if you can't make up your stinkin mind, there is the 40. But really, why piss around with a 40 when you can have a 10mm?