• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to NH have a handgun transfer question

Jay

imported post

Hello all well my other half and I are moving to Lebanon, NH next week no more taxes thank god :celebrate. Anyhow I want to know if there is a minimum day residency requirement to receive a handgun from an FFL? The reason is I have been living in Connecticut a short time. In CT you cannot own a firearm even in your house without a permit:cuss: so I transferred my Glock to my best friend who has a CT permit. When I come to New Hampshire he will have to transfer it to me FFL to FFL. If there is a minimum residency requirement is there anyway to circumvent it if say I get a NH permit?

Jay

imported post

Mike wrote:
Jay wrote:
In CT you cannot own a firearm even in your house without a permit
Are you about that? Can you cite to state law on this as this is not what i have been tracking.
I am sorry I should have clarified a little more when I moved I transferred my gun through FFL in the state I was living in to an FFL in CT. I did not want to transport it in my car even though Federal Law sais I can because I had to go through New York and I have heard some crazy stories. When I got to CT the FFL dealer would not give me the gun cause I did not have a permit or certificate. Being that I was only living in CT for a short time I did not want to go through the process of NRA course, then pay for a town permit, then a state permit. It is just to much crap to go through that is when I had my friend just pick it up for me. So to make a long story short you can own a handgun in your house. If you transport it in your vehicle, but you take a chance if you go through New York. If you want me to site statues on gun pickup/ownership from FFL and private party transfers in CT I will, but they state you have to have a permit or certificate.

Jay

imported post

I copied this from the follwing NRA website http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

[size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"]NEW YORK--The transportation of handguns is prohibited except by a resident with a license to carry.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"]A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a separate locked container.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"]Nonresident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for purposes of any NRA-approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license or firearms registration card from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a fully opaque container.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"]New York State has strict laws governing illegal possession of handguns which can result in a possible seven-year jail sentence for offenders.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"]Caution--New York law presumes that an individual stopped in possession of five or more handguns, without a state permit, possesses the handguns for illegal sale, thus subjecting this person to an increased sentence.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"][size="-1"]Caution--New York is the only state that prohibits the transportation of handguns without a license. Travelers should therefore be particularly careful since they face severe consequences should they inadvertently violate the state`s highly restrictive statutes.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Jay wrote:
Mike wrote:
Jay wrote:
Are you about that? Can you cite to state law on this as this is not what i have been tracking.
I am sorry I should have clarified a little more when I moved I transferred my gun through FFL in the state I was living in to an FFL in CT. I did not want to transport it in my car even though Federal Law sais I can because I had to go through New York and I have heard some crazy stories. When I got to CT the FFL dealer would not give me the gun cause I did not have a permit or certificate. Being that I was only living in CT for a short time I did not want to go through the process of NRA course, then pay for a town permit, then a state permit. It is just to much crap to go through that is when I had my friend just pick it up for me. So to make a long story short you can own a handgun in your house. If you transport it in your vehicle, but you take a chance if you go through New York. If you want me to site statues on gun pickup/ownership from FFL and private party transfers in CT I will, but they state you have to have a permit or certificate.

Right - there is no reason for you to have transferred the gun - you can move to CT with a handgun and you are fine. Going thru NY, FOPA applies. See 18 USC 926A.

Your original post is not correct - thee is no and gun registration in CT, see http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=74. But if you want to buy one in CT, or apparently pick yours up from a deler, you need a permit to purchase. Big difference.

Jay

imported post

Mike wrote:
Jay wrote:
Mike wrote:
Jay wrote:

Right - there is no reason for you to have transferred the gun - you can move to CT with a handgun and you are fine. Going thru NY, FOPA applies. See 18 USC 926A.

Your original post is not correct - thee is no and gun registration in CT, see http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=74. But if you want to buy one in CT, or apparently pick yours up from a deler, you need a permit to purchase. Big difference.
I know that you do not need to register your firearm. I also know that according to 18 USC 926A. I should be able to drive through New York. I however like to air on the side of caution. I do not feel like being the test case in New York if I were to get stopped. I am not made of money and can not afford a lengthy legal battle.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Jay wrote:
I know that you do not need to register your firearm.
OK, but your original post stated: "In CT you cannot own a firearm even in your house without a permit."

This is the partthat everyone needs to understand is not true.

Jay

imported post

You are correct I am wrong on that. However I am still waiting for an answer on my two questions :)

doobie

imported post

Jay wrote:
Hello all well my other half and I are moving to Lebanon, NH next week no more taxes thank god :celebrate. Anyhow I want to know if there is a minimum day residency requirement to receive a handgun from an FFL? The reason is I have been living in Connecticut a short time. In CT you cannot own a firearm even in your house without a permit:cuss: so I transferred my Glock to my best friend who has a CT permit. When I come to New Hampshire he will have to transfer it to me FFL to FFL. If there is a minimum residency requirement is there anyway to circumvent it if say I get a NH permit?
First, Congrats on moving to NH.

Second, as long as you can show proof that you are NH resident and the Feds (via the NICS check), you can get it the day you move to NH. Unless you are a non-citizen, then it is a 90-day wait.

Third, New Hampshire has no permits for firearms. It is a License. The government doesn't PERMIT you own, they do 'license' you to conceal carry. But you don't need to have a license to own or transport (unloaded) firearms. Google "New Hampshire RSA 159"

Jay

imported post

doobie wrote:
Jay wrote:

Second, as long as you can show proof that you are NH resident and the Feds (via the NICS check), you can get it the day you move to NH. Unless you are a non-citizen, then it is a 90-day wait.

Third, New Hampshire has no permits for firearms. It is a License. The government doesn't PERMIT you own, they do 'license' you to conceal carry. But you don't need to have a license to own or transport (unloaded) firearms. Google "New Hampshire RSA 159"
WOW the famous Doobie that I have read many articles and seen many you tube videos about commented on my post....lol

Thanks I am looking forward to come to NH. I was thrown for a loop after speaking with a certain gun shop in Lebanon, NH that told me that even if I had a NH DL. I had to wait 90 days which I never heard of. I did contact several other gun dealers, and they told me that was not true just needed to have a NH DL. Thanks again for the info

doobie

imported post

Jay wrote:
doobie wrote:
Jay wrote:

WOW the famous Doobie that I have read many articles and seen many you tube videos about commented on my post....lol

Thanks I am looking forward to come to NH. I was thrown for a loop after speaking with a certain gun shop in Lebanon, NH that told me that even if I had a NH DL. I had to wait 90 days which I never heard of. I did contact several other gun dealers, and they told me that was not true just needed to have a NH DL. Thanks again for the info
Haha, I'm famous outside of my small nit group in NH?

Hm, FFL's don't always know the laws. Many times they will say/do something to CTA (cover their ass). In theory you don't need a drivers license, just proof you live in NH.

Check CT laws and make sure you really need a license/permit to own. He may be able to give it to you before you leave. I cannot comment on anything in CT law.

Jay

imported post

doobie wrote:
Jay wrote:
doobie wrote:
Jay wrote:

Haha, I'm famous outside of my small nit group in NH?

Hm, FFL's don't always know the laws. Many times they will say/do something to CTA (cover their ass). In theory you don't need a drivers license, just proof you live in NH.

Check CT laws and make sure you really need a license/permit to own. He may be able to give it to you before you leave. I cannot comment on anything in CT law.
So I assume a lease aggrement would work?

KBCraig

imported post

doobie wrote:
In theory you don't need a drivers license, just proof you live in NH.

But not in reality.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#d5

...a purchaser may be identified by any combination of government-issued documents which together establish all of the required information: Name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph of the holder.

doobie

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
doobie wrote:
In theory you don't need a drivers license, just proof you live in NH.

But not in reality.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#d5

...a purchaser may be identified by any combination of government-issued documents which together establish all of the required information: Name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph of the holder.
Passport = name/photograph/DOB
Copy of voter registration = name/addr (assuming you can get a copy of it from your town clerk).

buketdude

imported post

If it was your gun and you moved to CT..you could have just brought it here...no permit is required to possess/buy a long gun at all....or to have/carry a handgun in your home/business...

Jay

imported post

buketdude wrote:
If it was your gun and you moved to CT..you could have just brought it here...no permit is required to possess/buy a long gun at all....or to have/carry a handgun in your home/business...
I know understand but I would have had to drive through New York. There are statements on the NRA website saying that New York strictly forbids traveling through New York with a handgun and if caught severe penalties are levied

doobie

imported post

Jay wrote:
buketdude wrote:
I know understand but I would have had to drive through New York. There are statements on the NRA website saying that New York strictly forbids traveling through New York with a handgun and if caught severe penalties are levied
Where do you live that you need to travel through NY to get to NH from? Worst case 15 to 91 and shoot up north. Just ensure it's unloaded and LOCKED in a container though MA. I'd also try to make it not accessible to anyone (aka trunk).

Jay

imported post

doobie wrote:
Jay wrote:
buketdude wrote:
Where do you live that you need to travel through NY to get to NH from? Worst case 15 to 91 and shoot up north. Just ensure it's unloaded and LOCKED in a container though MA. I'd also try to make it not accessible to anyone (aka trunk).
I was living in Kentucky that is where the problem was then I moved to CT now I am moving to New Hampshire. I had to go through New York coming from Kentucky

PatMcCotter

Opt-Out Members
imported post

You may legally pack your firearms in your household belongings when moving into, from or within CT.

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions.http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/chap529.htm#Sec29-35.htm
(a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply ... to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another ....