• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dick's Sporting Goods permits lawful open carry

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

http://tiny.cc/MkbI6

This issue arose when the President of GeorgiaCarry.Org . . . was kicked out of the Fayetteville, Georgia store

Mr. Stone,

Thank you for contacting Dick's Sporting Goods.

Our stores comply with state laws and, in some cases, where we are a tenant as an anchor store, those mall restrictions if any exists.
Rest is at the link.

chiefjason

imported post

Good to hear. I've never had a problem in Hickory, NC. Had the guy at the gun counter ask me what I was carrying. Even bought ammo.

Dreamer

imported post

I've been thinking...

When folks get official written rulings on OC from corporate HQ's, we should scan them, make PDFs, and then post them in some sort of Archive here, so that other people can print them out and have them to show to unreasonable local management.

Nothing will change the tone of a power-hungry lower management weasel more quickly than being proved a liar with his own employer's letterhead... :p

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
I've been thinking...

When folks get official written rulings on OC from corporate HQ's, we should scan them, make PDFs, and then post them in some sort of Archive here,
we have done some of that re Best Buy, Dicks, Cabellas, Sportsmens' Warehouse and Bass pro - nothing formal, but you will find it if you google around.

Things are moving our way as the public becomes educated that gun carry is legal in the US.

FMCDH

imported post

Mike wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
I've been thinking...

When folks get official written rulings on OC from corporate HQ's, we should scan them, make PDFs, and then post them in some sort of Archive here,
we have done some of that re Best Buy, Dicks, Cabellas, Sportsmens' Warehouse and Bass pro - nothing formal, but you will find it if you google around.

Things are moving our way as the public becomes educated that gun carry is legal in the US.

Its not that most people don't know that carrying a gun is legal in most states, its that it doesn't fit into the lifestyle of most Americans, much because of the stigma attached, but most just because people have the wrong attitude (mindset) that the only place a "civilized" person "needs" a firearmis while hiking in the woods or walking downa dark ally at midnight.

Most people have been taught to believe that unless your going somewhere where danger is sure to find you, there should be no need to carry a firearm.

To change the mindset, we need to focus on educating people that carrying a personal defense firearmis normal and worthwhile, not that its legal. The legal part is implied just by teaching the other two.

The mass majority of even conservatives that I work withor know do actually realize they have the right to carry in Washington State (as an example) but they don't want the perceived hassle of being stigmatized or the increased amount of responsibility that bearing arms brings.

That's what we need to educate on and counter IMHO

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

When folks get official written rulings on OC from corporate HQ's, we should scan them, make PDFs, and then post them in some sort of Archive

I and a few others been doing just that on the Northwest Citizens Defense League Site. It contains; Police training bulletins, Court Rulings, Store policies, Letters to city council and other misc documentation.
Toys R Us, Barnes & Nobel, Lowes, Home Depot are some of the letters allowing lawful carry.

http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads

chiefjason

imported post

" snip.. the only place a "civilized" person "needs" a firearm is while hiking in the woods or walking down a dark ally at midnight."

Wait, except Nat Parks, cause who needs a gun in a Nat Park right. I mean you can carry them in the woods if you want, but Nat Parks aren't woods cause they don't allow hunting, right? Nothing dangerous there. What could be dangerous with all those tourist there. :banghead:

Couldn't resist. I've been looking through some of those arguments this evening. My head hurts now.

Dreamer

imported post

M1Gunr,

Thank you for posting this link. If I get any responses from the companies I'm planning to write to in the next few months, could I post PDFs of those letters too? I'd love to contribute to this fantastic resource if I can.

Thank you so much!

Statesman

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
I've been thinking...

When folks get official written rulings on OC from corporate HQ's, we should scan them, make PDFs, and then post them in some sort of Archive here, so that other people can print them out and have them to show to unreasonable local management.

Nothing will change the tone of a power-hungry lower management weasel more quickly than being proved a liar with his own employer's letterhead... :p
If the forum admins would accept my offer to purchase vBulletin, we would have the feature set to do this. www.vbulletin.com.

If you want this type of forum and blogging software that users can contribute to, if permitted, please message jpierce.

KBCraig

imported post

Statesman wrote:
If the forum admins would accept my offer to purchase vBulletin, we would have the feature set to do this. http://www.vbulletin.com.

If you want this type of forum and blogging software that users can contribute to, if permitted, please message jpierce.
Ack! Good lord, NO!

WowBB sucks. vB sucks ten times as bad, and is proprietary to boot!

SMF has the kind of open source community support you want. phpBB, less so, but v.3 doesn't totally suck.

I've rarely seen a vB forum that wasn't so loaded up with crap as to be almost unusable.

Dreamer

imported post

I took a friend shopping for a new shotgun two weeks ago in Fairfax VA, an I was OCing the whole time. We went to Dicks over by the FFX Gov. Complex, and had no problem--not so much a a blink from anyone.

sraacke

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
When folks get official written rulings on OC from corporate HQ's, we should scan them, make PDFs, and then post them in some sort of Archive

I and a few others been doing just that on the Northwest Citizens Defense League Site. It contains; Police training bulletins, Court Rulings, Store policies, Letters to city council and other misc documentation.
Toys R Us, Barnes & Nobel, Lowes, Home Depot are some of the letters allowing lawful carry.

http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads
Thanks for posting that link. I would love to see similar PDFs of letters from Wal-Mart, Target, Cabelas,' Bass Proand similar big chains. If anyone had copies of letters from those stores please post them somewhere so that we can all see them.A copy of the letter from Dick's Sporting Goods that was mentioned inthe originalpost should be here too.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I went into the local Dicks to check them out. . . don't sell firearms or hunting equipment. . . I even asked the guy how the hell they could call themselves a "sporting goods store" if they didn't sell such sports equipment. . .

Even if I was still allowed to OC I would not give these people my business.

I have Big 5, but at least they sell firearms and ammo.