• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Louisiana Open Cary Law and Distrubing the Peace Statues

OpenCarryDefense

imported post

Hopefully I haven't posted here in violation of forum. Attempted the Leag section of forum but was not allowed to post there.

Louisiana State Constitution- Article I, Section 11
Right to Keep and Bear Arms

The right of each citizen to keep bear arms shall not be abridged, but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit carrying of weapons concealed on the person.

Office of the Attorney General
State of LOUISIANA

Opinion No. 78 795
June 19, 1978

FIREARMS & FIREWORKS 47 A R.S. 14:95.1, 40:1379.1 Acts 1956, No. 345, s 1,
1958, No. 2 1958, No. 379, ss 1, 3, 1968, No. 647, s 1, 1975, No. 492
The carrying of an exposed handgun is not illegal, except as provided in LSA
R.S. 14:94.1. This RS is concerning School Area's. Parishes and/or Municipalities may not enact ordinances
regulating the carrying of illegal handguns because the state has pre empted
the legistlative control and has implicitly authorized the carrying of
unconcealed weapons.

Honorable James H. Brown, Jr.
State Senator
32nd District
Baton Rouge, LOUISIANA 70804

imported post

Article 1 sec 11 says it all, nothing further needed.

It's amusing how the disturbing definition definitely applies to what "law enforcement officers" do when arresting an OC'er. Good luck getting the law applied against them.

4sooth

imported post

State vs Ferrand,So. 2d 396, ..."the public display of an openly carried handgun is not a crime in Louisiana and does not alone provide probable cause for arrest."

The key here "is not a crime"--which means it is not ANY kind of crime. I will have copies of the relevant La. Supreme Court Decisions concerning open carry to bring along.

If you want copies of these decisions PM me and I will bring extras.