• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WTS: Second Chance Body Armor

massivedesign

imported post

I have quite a few of these available, in all different sizes.

They are not NIJ rated because they were built for German Special Forces, GSG9 rated SK1. NIJ Comparable rating is IIIa (based upon info provided on this thread). According to the lady I spoke to at Second Chance, it's rated to stop a .308 (no grain or distance info was provided). This vest does NOT contain Zylon or Dynema.

The carrier is identical to the Monarch 329, but the ballistic panel is a little better than than the standard 329. Why and how, they would not say.. Just better is all she said.

The vests were manufactured in late 2003 and have never been worn. They are NEW in the original bulk packaging (plastic bag) with the sizing sticker on them. Second Chance said that if they have been stored properly (which I was told they were in a storage closet, in a commercial building) that they will still be fine, but should be re-cert'd or the panels replaced within 4-5 years after the first date of actual use.

The buyer(s) will receive one complete vest, an additional identical carrier as well as a "deep cover" concealable carrier. You will also receive a shaped stab proof soft armor overplate that velcros to the outside of the carier. I do not have trauma plates, but there is a spot for them on the vests.

This is a very concealable vest, it's thinner than my older IIA and doesn't flair out when you sit down (previous BPV owners know what I am talking about). I weighed the BAG of stuff that you get (2 carriers, 2 panels, stab plate and the T-shirt) and it weights just over 5lbs!! That's pretty darn light!

Vest looks like this:
http://www.secondchance.com/products/monarch329.asp

The "deep cover" carrier looks like this:
http://www.secondchance.com/products/deepcover.asp

I have sizes from SM to XXL. I am 5'-11" 230lbs and the XL fits me nicely. The XXL is a little big.. Tall and lanky people (6'2"+ and skinny / semi skinny) will need a large.

If you order a vest, and it doesn't fit, I will gladly exchange it for a different size, you just pay the shipping. If it's a local meet-n-greet, I can bring multiple sizes to see which one fits better.

Felons are NOT permitted, by law, to purchase and/or be in possession of body armor.. And, of course, I make no warranty as to the actual stopping power of the vest, I am only going off of information gained from the MFG, Second Chance.

$450 each with discounts for multiple purchases.

Located in Olympia.

** I have one (open bag) XL that I used for test fitting that has a small (pinhead size) pen mark on it. $400. Remember, you still get one additional un-blemished carrier with it. **

massivedesign

imported post

My friend bought one and he is 6'3" 190. He got an XL just because of the length. The side panels can wrap a little more on the XL's too for growth allowance.

If you are ever in the olympia area let me know and you can try on both.

Dan

FMCDH

imported post

massivedesign wrote:
gtparlette wrote:
How big are the XXXL?

HUUUGE! I will try and find it (I only have one) tomorrow and take pics and measurements if you are interested. It will fit over a file cabinet.
Believe it or not, I once worked with a guy in security that needed one that big. They couldn't find one in the US at the time, so had to order one but it was going to have to be custom made and take 3 months, so while the company waited, they put two vests together for him. Wow, what an awkward vest that was for the poor guy.

gtparlette

imported post

I am a big guy and i am interested if it fits but i don't get paid til next week.

EOD

imported post

massivedesign wrote:
They are not NIJ rated because they were built for German Special Forces, GSG9 rated SK1. NIJ Comparable rating is III. According to the lady I spoke to at Second Chance, it's rated to stop a .308 (no grain or distance info was provided). This vest does NOT contain Zylon or Dynema.
If these are soft vests, which it looks like they are, they are not equivelant to NIJ level III. The highest soft vest rating is level IIIA, which will not stop 308, 223, or any other rifle calibers.

NIJ Level III and IV are hard armor ratings (ie ceramic/steel/composite hard plates)

massivedesign

imported post

As mentioned, this was the info I got directly from Second Chance in regards to teh vest. The SK-1 classification as well as the German's rating and qualification process is supposedly MUCH more stringent than ours.

The lady at SC said .308 Winchester, then said comparable to level III. Now, this may be with the plates installed (which I do not have), just going of of what was told to me during our lengthily conversation.

Tawnos

imported post

massivedesign wrote:
As mentioned, this was the info I got directly from Second Chance in regards to teh vest. The SK-1 classification as well as the German's rating and qualification process is supposedly MUCH more stringent than ours.

The lady at SC said .308 Winchester, then said comparable to level III. Now, this may be with the plates installed (which I do not have), just going of of what was told to me during our lengthily conversation.
The website says level 2 (soft) and 3A (with plates).

massivedesign

imported post

This is NOT an NIJ vest, it was never meant for US sales / use. While there are some similarities to an NIJ rated process, the GSG9 process is different.

The only reason why I put a "comparable" NIJ rating was for people to base a familiarity off of.. My bad.

I have not personally shot one of these yet, but a friend of a friend has (I also sold him my older IIA vest) and said it held up to everything he shot at it .380, 9mm, .45...no rifle, he doesn't own one. Blazer target ammo and a few HST's.

I head about it when my friend came and bought 4 more. I asked if he still had the vest (since I have had a lot of demand to shoot the snot of of one), he said no. he put enough juice through the font panel it was a shredded mess. He left it (just the front panel) on a tree at Capital Forest.

I went up last weekend to go shooting and looked at a few of the normal spots and didn't see anything. Either somebody took it, or I went to a different spot.

EOD

imported post

Well, all I am saying is if someone somewhere figured out how to make a soft vest stop rifle rounds, then I would not be hearing about it for the first time on a niche gun board.

I wish it was true, cause I could quite wearing hard plates in my tac gear.