Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: ONe for the good side

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, ,
    Posts
    155

    Post imported post


  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , Illinois, USA
    Posts
    778

    Post imported post

    gbu28 wrote: Maybe. I wonder how one safely operates a firearm via a breathing tube.

    I realize the 2A purists don't much care about enforcing safety on gun owners, and I am a little nervous about it myself, because it is a murky area. But there are some things that are inherently unsafe.

    Iam not sure the answer is to ban him from owning firearms though.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, ,
    Posts
    155

    Post imported post

    I don't know that anyone would call me a purist but more power to the guy if he feels he can handle it. If you had asked me before I saw it with my own eyes that these Americans (by that I mean physically challenged in a broad sense) can drive vehicles, participate in sports, hold down jobs, etc I would have said no way. But they would have shown me to be wrong.

    Anyway, the responsibility lies on him, not the State, imo.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348

    Post imported post

    ā€œ A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. ā€

    I see nothing written, that say's only able bodied people.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  5. #5
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839

    Post imported post

    ilbob wrote:
    Maybe. I wonder how one safely operates a firearm via a breathing tube.

    I realize the 2A purists don't much care about enforcing safety on gun owners, and I am a little nervous about it myself, because it is a murky area. But there are some things that are inherently unsafe.
    Like running (with 2 pair of scissors tied together with a string at the handles and hanging from your neck) naked down a stairwell covered with marbles? Anyone who would propose drafting a law against such a thing would be laughed out of the room. The same should hold true for anyone making an arbitrary decision proclaiming that a quadrapalegic may not own firearms.

    It is his business how he handles it safely. It is not the State's issue unless he violates a law by discharging it in an illegal manor. It is definitely not my nor your business to say that he may or may not own firearms.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,318

    Post imported post

    Glock34 wrote:
    ā€œ A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. ā€

    I see nothing written, that say's only able bodied people.
    Amen to that!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, ,
    Posts
    155

    Post imported post

    ilbob wrote:
    gbu28 wrote: Maybe. I wonder how one safely operates a firearm via a breathing tube.

    I realize the 2A purists don't much care about enforcing safety on gun owners, and I am a little nervous about it myself, because it is a murky area. But there are some things that are inherently unsafe.

    IĀ*am not sure the answer is to ban him from owning firearms though.
    This isn't really directed at you ilbob but I have to address your argument of safety, which is one of my pet peeves. Just because something is inherently unsafe does not mean it should be outlawed. It is inherently unsafe for me to race down the highway at 65 mph on two wheels. There are much safer ways for me to travel. It's inherently unsafe to do the same without wearing a helmet.

    Stop and think about this a minute: It is incredibly unsafe for two multiple ton vehicles (of any kind) to go past each other on a 2 lane highway with a combined speed of over a hundred miles an hour. Many many things could be called unsafe.

    I say, so what. If nothing else, America should be about freedom. That includes freedom to pursue wealth, happiness, pleasures of various kinds, and yes, activities which others might deem unsafe as well.

    Now that I'm older, I've made a decision I'll never jump out of a plane. More power to anyone else who wants to but it won't be me.

    So the next guy's safety just might be what I get my thrill from. Please, wrap your kids in every pad available, keep them away from all sharp, loud objects and leave me alone.

    Thank you.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , Illinois, USA
    Posts
    778

    Post imported post

    gbu28 wrote:
    ilbob wrote:
    gbu28 wrote: Maybe. I wonder how one safely operates a firearm via a breathing tube.

    I realize the 2A purists don't much care about enforcing safety on gun owners, and I am a little nervous about it myself, because it is a murky area. But there are some things that are inherently unsafe.

    Iam not sure the answer is to ban him from owning firearms though.
    This isn't really directed at you ilbob but I have to address your argument of safety, which is one of my pet peeves. Just because something is inherently unsafe does not mean it should be outlawed. It is inherently unsafe for me to race down the highway at 65 mph on two wheels. There are much safer ways for me to travel. It's inherently unsafe to do the same without wearing a helmet.

    Stop and think about this a minute: It is incredibly unsafe for two multiple ton vehicles (of any kind) to go past each other on a 2 lane highway with a combined speed of over a hundred miles an hour. Many many things could be called unsafe.

    I say, so what. If nothing else, America should be about freedom. That includes freedom to pursue wealth, happiness, pleasures of various kinds, and yes, activities which others might deem unsafe as well.

    Now that I'm older, I've made a decision I'll never jump out of a plane. More power to anyone else who wants to but it won't be me.

    So the next guy's safety just might be what I get my thrill from. Please, wrap your kids in every pad available, keep them away from all sharp, loud objects and leave me alone.

    Thank you.
    If the guy can do this safely, more power to him. If not, he should not be handling firearms. I don't think government is the appropriate decider of who is safe or not. I do understand the chief's reluctance to issue him a purchase permit, even if I am pretty sure I do not trust bureaucrats to make these kind of decisions.

    I don't havemuch desire to prohibit unsafe acts that have little or no potential to harm others, or are risks that we as a society have agreed to accept (such as driving according to the rules of the road). But people taking risks with other people's lives is something else.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Post imported post

    IlBob, I got a few questions for you, it may help others and me understand your point of view on this situation.

    What are your thoughts about laws that mandate kids wear helmets when riding a bicycle?

    Do you feel it is ok for someone purchase a firearm even if they do not intend to huntwith it?

    The state tried to prohibitthisguyfrom exercising an enumerated right just becuase of physical disabilities! I find it disgusting that the people of this once great nation have allowed the government to become a nanny-state.





  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Post imported post

    ilbob wrote:
    If the guy can do this safely, more power to him. If not, he should not be handling firearms. I don't think government is the appropriate decider of who is safe or not. I do understand the chief's reluctance to issue him a purchase permit, even if I am pretty sure I do not trust bureaucrats to make these kind of decisions.

    I don't havemuch desire to prohibit unsafe acts that have little or no potential to harm others, or are risks that we as a society have agreed to accept (such as driving according to the rules of the road). But people taking risks with other people's lives is something else.
    Having a law that requires one to obtain a purchase permit before that individual is able to buy a fire arm is unconstitutional.

    So I guess we should have all arms confiscated from anyone over the age of 70 because old people become frail and feeble minded and possibly could have Alzheimer's and forget all of the fire arms safety they have ever learned in their life time, putting other people lives at risk any time this individual looks at his fire arm.

    Come on! Think before you type!

    What gives you the right to place restrictions on anyone's rights?

    We have veterans that have lost limbs and have actually returned to duty. With today's technology you would be surprised what a person can do. Leave the guy alone and take that purchase permit and shove it up your arse.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •