• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in San Diego County

CREWDAD

imported post

Ok, i'm looking to do my first OC in San Diego County. I'm looking for someone with experience to go with. I'm available Sat, Sun & Mon's all day, and Tue ~ Fri after 5:30pm. And all day today because of Holiday.I'm in El Cajon, but will do anywhere in SD County. , Thanks,Crew

demnogis

imported post

Crewdad, firstly welcome to ocdo! Take some time and look over the information on www.californiaopencarry.org before UOCing. Second, due to pending supreme court cases we've been asked to stand down on solo OC, possibly group OC events too.

On a final note, its a VERY BAD idea to post your personal details on this public forum. It is frequented by many Law Enforcement agencies, sadly some of them will 'profile' and keep tabs on members. San Diego has its own issues going on, talk to locosway or pullnshoot25 on here if you have more questions.

coolusername2007

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
demnogis wrote:
Second, due to pending supreme court cases we've been asked to stand down on solo OC, possibly group OC events too.

Who Asked us to stand down?

The "right people" over at calguns. Personally, I disagree with this for a variety of reasons, as do many others here. Regardless, its a very good idea to sterile carry (no ID) and definitely have a friendly witness, audio recorder with lapel mic, and maybe even a video recorder. Carry on!

Crew, edit your personal data out of your original post, do this kind of thing through private messages (PMs).

Gundude

imported post

I didn't hear anyone ask me to stand down on OC. If its so. please show me the PC number so I can read it. I have been OCing since I joined this site. So far the only one that noticed was my mechanic. He asked if that gun was real. I told him I was gonna squirt some water on him. I purchased one of those book safes at Harbor Freight to use in areas I'm not familiar with. I'll be packin till I see a law against it.

coolusername2007

imported post

Its not against the law, there isn't any PC code outlawing open carry. The "right people" over at calguns have strongly discouraged people from UOC'ing until 2A is incorporated to the state. In a nutshell, they don't want anyopen carrying because it could jeopardize their chances of getting CCW and/or they are afraid of more anti-gun laws as a result of UOCing.

Safe to say, everybody wants loaded carry, but some want concealed and others want open. Also safe to say in this state its highly unlikely we'll have both as other states do.

wewd

imported post

There's no reason to believe we will only get one form of loaded carry. Scalia's dicta from Heller shows that he understands that the 2nd guarantees the right to carry and I believe that he also understands the open carry tradition in this country. I am not optimistic that CCW will be held as a right under the 2nd since there isn't a tradition of a concealed carry right, so we will still have to have permits unless the states hold CCW as a right as Alaska has done. People have to remember that even in shall issue states, CCW is not a right, because you don't need to ask permission to exercise a right. I would love to be proven wrong on SCOTUS's CCW ruling though. But I do believe that as long as we have CCW permits they will have to apply equal protection which is why I believe Sykes will succeed and we will have shall issue in CA. Diane Feinstein's life is not inherently worth more or less than anyone else's in this state, and I'm sure she had no problem with her CCW application.

USPSureShot

imported post

The Term "bear": Does it not include to carry on your person, in a purse or bag or case. Hence if the right to Bear arms includes Concealed?

Just asking 'cuase it seems crazy to define bear to only mean open carry in a holster.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

USPSureShot wrote:
The Term "bear": Does it not include to carry on your person, in a purse or bag or case. Hence if the right to Bear arms includes Concealed?

Just asking 'cuase it seems crazy to define bear to only mean open carry in a holster.
Its a little more complicated than that.
Some, extremely valid, interpretations of the Second Amendment, indicate that the 2A does not have much of anything to do with UOC/OC/CC, but transcends the issue entirely as a form of protection against a tyrannical government, then expands to protect carry, but by proxy.

CREWDAD

imported post

demnogis wrote:
Crewdad, firstly welcome to ocdo! Take some time and look over the information on http://www.californiaopencarry.org before UOCing. Second, due to pending supreme court cases we've been asked to stand down on solo OC, possibly group OC events too.

On a final note, its a VERY BAD idea to post your personal details on this public forum. It is frequented by many Law Enforcement agencies, sadly some of them will 'profile' and keep tabs on members. San Diego has its own issues going on, talk to locosway or pullnshoot25 on here if you have more questions.
Thanks for the heads up on my info. I have gone through all of the COC info and have learned a lot. Also, with all do respect, I also have not seen any thing from CalGuns about a stand down. Can you give me a link to that request?

CREWDAD

imported post

CREWDAD wrote:
Ok, i'm looking to do my first OC in San Diego County. I'm looking for someone with experience to go with. I'm available Sat, Sun & Mon's all day, and Tue ~ Fri after 5:30pm. And all day today because of Holiday.I'm in El Cajon, but will do anywhere in SD County. , Thanks,Crew
I'd like to thank the great group from Escondido OC, I had a very good first OC experience on Saturday. Great turn out, I think we had about a dozon people show up. I look forward to seeing you all again. Perhaps we could get together a group for an OC in El Cajon to give the LEO's and ourselves a little more exposure to each other here in EC? Thanks to all of you who made it feel like a walk in the park! I have to admit, I was really hoping to have the LEO's show up to get that first encounter experience. But all is and was good, Thanks again

Chrisc411

imported post

CREWDAD wrote:
CREWDAD wrote:
I'd like to thank the great group from Escondido OC, I had a very good first OC experience on Saturday. Great turn out, I think we had about a dozon people show up. I look forward to seeing you all again. Perhaps we could get together a group for an OC in El Cajon to give the LEO's and ourselves a little more exposure to each other here in EC? Thanks to all of you who made it feel like a walk in the park! I have to admit, I was really hoping to have the LEO's show up to get that first encounter experience. But all is and was good, Thanks again

I personally frequent el cajon several times a week the biggest problem is there are so many schools out there that its dang near all within the 100 ft boundary

sumyungguy

imported post

Hey Crewdad - Ditto on what you said. I had a good time too. (I'm the guy who gave you his E-mail on a card at the end of the walk).

Had a great time. Met some nice people on a nice day. I especially liked the pink grips on that lady's pistol. I remember her name but I'll keep it to myself.

I too was surprised that LEO's did not show up. They must be accustomed to receiving calls from the suspicious people who are not familiar with open carry.

Like I said on Saturday, if you get a walk going down in your 'hood I'll be there. And we need to get to the range.

Take care and keep em in the ten ring.

G

Decoligny

imported post

Chrisc411 wrote:
CREWDAD wrote:
CREWDAD wrote:

I personally frequent el cajon several times a week the biggest problem is there are so many schools out there that its dang near all within the 100 ft boundary
I am going to assume that you meant 1,000 ft boundary.