• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tucson area gunsmith?

PavePusher

imported post

I'm looking for a reputable gunsmith in the Tucson area. I've used Second Amendment a few times, but have found them to be slow and less than reliable. I will admit I may possibly be biased, as I judge these things by the standards I have used in 19 years of military aircraft maintenance, so I'm a bit particular.

Any suggestions welcome, I live on the south-east side, near Rita Ranch, so the closer to there the better, but not manditory.

I'm looking to get a sporterized 1917 Eddystone cleaned up, possibly restored to original spec, at the least it needs new sights. I also have a Yugo Mauser that I would like to have inspected beforeI use it.

Thanks in advance!

(And yes, I know, I should learn how to do this stuff myself... Time, my friends, time....:()

RockyAcres

imported post

If he's still available, try Harry Lawson at 3328 N Richey Blvd., 326-1117. He's the fellow that first designed, and probably still manufactures, the rifle stock with the thumbhole grips.

I met with him in the mid 90's to see if he'd be interested in the gunstock carving I was doing. Although he didn't use my skills, he was very encouraging and even invited me into his main office where he had a gazillion mounted trophy's from the many hunts he's been on. He shared his big photo album with me and gave me a tour of his workshop where his duplicating machine made replicas of his special stocks. His name was/is very well known, and it made me feel sort of 'recognized' as a fellow-woodworker. He probably wouldn't remember me...

Anyways, I thought he was kind of 'up in years' at the time and wasn't sure he was still around/in business. Wouldn't hurt to give him a call...if he can't help you himself, perhaps he can give you good direction.

Good Luck!

Dahwg

imported post

Sadly, you're more likely to find armorers than gunsmiths. With everyone going to plastic guns there's not many people that take the time anymore. The guy that owns Garbatto's (don't know if they're even still in business) used to do smithing, but he too stopped, as there was not enough business to make it worth his time. Murphy (from Murphy's guns) wasn't doing any smithing either last I checked. I know you'd rather not use Second Amendment, but that's who I've gone with in the past.

Lew

imported post

Dahwg wrote:
Sadly, you're more likely to find armorers than gunsmiths. With everyone going to plastic guns there's not many people that take the time anymore. The guy that owns Garbatto's (don't know if they're even still in business) used to do smithing, but he too stopped, as there was not enough business to make it worth his time. Murphy (from Murphy's guns) wasn't doing any smithing either last I checked. I know you'd rather not use Second Amendment, but that's who I've gone with in the past.
Pretty sure Garbatto's is no more. I stopped in there early this year (April?) and he said he was getting ready to pack up and leave. Rambled on about this country going to ***t and that he was going to live on a self-sufficient farm in the middle of nowhere. Seemed like a nice guy.