• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oh to have lived in Jefferson's time

dwayner79

imported post

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

It was a hard life back then, but man oh man there would be no need for our fight to keep carry lawful.

PT111

imported post

I often hear people say thing like "We didn't have all thesehealth problemsback when I was growing up". My reply to then is "Yep, usually eveyone died before they had a chance to develop them". Or as Paul Harvey said "We call it the good old days because we wern't old and we weren't good".

It would have been nice to be able to carry a gun around without any problems but back then they needed that gun much more than we do now no matter what you think. I grew up in the wonderful 50's and I don't really care to go back. :)

dwayner79

imported post

I don't disagree PT, just wish our society today had a different perspective on people's right to "bear arms".

dbegin87

imported post

we have more of a need to bear arms now then we did in the 50s just look around i have been mugged and the police were not there to protect me they only came to investigate and they found nothing so we need to be able to defend ourselves because when only the police and the bad guys have firearms then there will be anarchy..