• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling in D.C.

glockaholic

imported post

I'm going to be spending the night in DC next week. I'm wondering if anyone on this board is up to date on the latest gun laws in light of the Heller ruling. I have a CCW permit in NC and routinely carry. Am I permitted to keep a handgun in my trunk in DC? From the research I've been doing, it sounds like the answer is no (unless the gun has been registered in DC). This puts me in a bad position since I'm driving up from NC. I basically have to leave my gun at home and will be without it during the entire two day trip. This is an extremely frustrating predicament. Any suggestions?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

The 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act covers people traveling who are carrying firearms in their vehicle. Basically, you must be legally allowed to possess the arms in your source and destination states in order for you to legally be allowed to pass through states and cities where the transporting of arms would otherwise not be legal. You may stop for food and fuel in such locations as long as the stop is part of your journey. I think this also includes layups in a motel, hotel, or inn but you should check that out before starting your trip.

Also, leaving your gun(s) in your car is not a good idea since I would bet if they are stolen, you might be in legal hot water. Again, check this out.

It would be much better to stop in Virginia for a night's stay, then go on through the next day.

Wangmuf

imported post

glockaholic wrote:
I'm going to be spending the night in DC next week. I'm wondering if anyone on this board is up to date on the latest gun laws in light of the Heller ruling. I have a CCW permit in NC and routinely carry. Am I permitted to keep a handgun in my trunk in DC? From the research I've been doing, it sounds like the answer is no (unless the gun has been registered in DC). This puts me in a bad position since I'm driving up from NC. I basically have to leave my gun at home and will be without it during the entire two day trip. This is an extremely frustrating predicament. Any suggestions?

It sounds as if D.C. is the destination for the trip, therefore the safe passage act or whatever it is wouldn't apply.

I'd say stay in Alexandria or Arlington, Va and Metro into the city for whatever it is you're doing. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a hotel with safes in the room to secure your pistol while you're in the District. Driving in D.C. is a PITA, anyways.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Having visited DC myself once, I fully agree with staying in Virginia and not driving in DC. If you insist, leave the gun at home. I don't think Heller changed anything for those without a D.C. permit.
You're right, it didn't. If his destination is DC, he should either stay in Virginia or leave his gun(s) at home as has been suggested. Those idiots across the river have sh-- for brains and they don't suffer armed citizens one bit.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glockaholic, when you make your hotel reservations find out if the hotel offers a late check-out if needed. Some hotels (such as Comfort Suites and associated hotels) offer a late check out at no charge if you sign up for their rewards program, which is also free. This came in handy for me when travelling for work when I have morning meetings at client locations where carrying a firearm would land me in jail. I was able to leave my handgun locked up in the room and returned that afternoon to check out and go home.

Wangmuf

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
glockaholic wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll plan on staying in VA then.

Why would anyone want to live in DC again? :cuss:
Crystal City, VA. Very close to Reagan National (except you aren't flying), nice underground mall with everything you would ever want and the metro stationis right there in the mall. There is a fantastic steak house there, I can't remember the name, but it was on a corner, above ground, best steak I have ever had in my life.

Crystal City hotels are kinda expensive. I wouldn't stay there unless my employer was paying for it. I'd pick somewhere in Springfield, myself.

Wangmuf

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Wangmuf wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
glockaholic wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll plan on staying in VA then.

Why would anyone want to live in DC again? :cuss:
Crystal City, VA. Very close to Reagan National (except you aren't flying), nice underground mall with everything you would ever want and the metro stationis right there in the mall. There is a fantastic steak house there, I can't remember the name, but it was on a corner, above ground, best steak I have ever had in my life.

Crystal City hotels are kinda expensive. I wouldn't stay there unless my employer was paying for it. I'd pick somewhere in Springfield, myself.
HAHA! Well, yes, my "employer" was paying for it :)
I hope you opened a nice-sized expense account at Crystal City Restaurant, to include a few hundred dollars in tips for the girls!

Coincidentally, they have a very nice T-bone steak lunch special for around $12... Very good.

Dreamer

imported post

Glockaholic,

I totally understand your predicament. I'm sitting in Gaitherburg MD right now, having come up to visit my stepdaughter and the new grand-daughter. Not being able to carry (in MD) makes things sort of inconvenient, because I've gotten into the habit of carrying pretty much all the time in NC these days.

I went to NoVa today, to help a friend shop for a new home defense shotgun. We went to the Dicks Sporting Goods, and Blue Ridge Arsenal, and had lunch at Anita's. I OC'd all afternoon. But when I got back in the car to drive back to MD, I had to take it off and lock it up, before crossing the "38th Parallel" into Montgomery County...

On a cool side note, the private security at Bethesda Naval Medical Center were carrying their Glocks in black Serpa's--the ones with the high fronts (I think they were the Level 3 retention models). I asked them how they liked their Serpa's and two said they loved them, but one guy said he hated it because of the high front. He then went on to say that he owned a Serpa CQC for personal use, and he really liked that model, because it was MUCH easier and faster to draw from.

Planning a trip into the NoVa/MD/DC area requires a LOT of planning, tremendous attention to borders and roadways, and an enormous amount of knowledge as to where you actually are on the map. One wrong turn here, and you could become a felon just by driving your car across some imaginary line.

Good luck with your trip!