• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bellingham OC okay businesses

tyguy808

imported post

I have been around Bellingham a bit the last few weeks and ran into no trouble at these places. I'm not saying that they were promoting OC, but that, they never gave me any grief.

1. Walmart
2. Fred Meyers (Bakerview)
3. Olive Garden (went again OC'ing, hey I'm not breaking any LAWS!)
4. Bay-B Exchange (consignment store, nice lady)
5. Wee One's Re-runs (consignment store)
6. Billy McHale's (went with SVG OC'ing)
7. Spookshop (closed for the season now)
8. Lowe's
9. Chase Bank (Cordata Branch, formerly WAMU)
10. AMPM (Bakerview station)
11. Best Buy
12. Yeager's Sporting Goods (Mike OK'd for OC)
13. Haggen's (Meridian Store)
14. Rairdon's Used Car Lot
15. Arliss' Restaurant (Cornwall & Flora)
16. Bellingham PD
17. Whatcom County Sheriff's Office
18. Safeway (in Lynden)

Anyhow, no trouble in these places, so carry on!

-tyguy808

ETA:
19. Lil Tokyo (sushi joint, Barkley Village)
20. Dept of Motor Vehicles
21. Home Depot
22. Allegiance Arms / Survival Solutions

heresolong

imported post

Hardware Sales (specifically OK'd by owner after security tried to chase me out)
Wings Motorcycle Leathers
NAPA Auto Parts (Bellingham and Blaine)
Lowe's
El Ranchito's (Lynden)
Taco Del Mar
Wolten's Hardware (Blaine)
Ace Hardware (Blaine)

Edit: Kesselrings (had three guns with me, two unloaded that I was looking for holsters for and the 45 loaded on my hip.) Was in there for about half an hour chatting with the guys in the pistol section as I looked at holsters with a friend who just bought a .38. (Edit: these guys are grumpy SOBs however. Not friendly, don't ever seem interested in chatting about anything, including guns.)

Edit: More places I have carried openly in Whatcom County

Black Drop Coffee
Accurate Lock (OC friendly, not just neutral)
Rite Aide (Blaine)
Costcutter (Blaine)
Liquor store (Blaine)
WECU (Blaine and Ferndale)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Food-Coop, both locations, ( I am surprised by this one)

Trader Joe's, (another surprise)

Shucks, Birch Equipment, Cycle Therapy (he carries a .40), pretty much everywhere I go. I cover up for Costco, and the hospital thats about it.

There is a strong undercurrent of folks in Whatcom county, who are very pro, much to the dismay of many of the anti's who run Bellingham.

tyguy808

imported post

Man oh man,necro-postingI know,I've been OC'ing everywhere!!!!!

1. Jeckyl and Hyde's Deli

2. Jerry Chambers

3. Morrie's Drive-In (sat inside)

4. Chase Bankat Barkley and Woburn

5. Meridian Super Mart

6. 7-Eleven Northwest Ave.

7. Albertson's

8. Big Lot's

9. O'reilley Auto Parts, near Walmart (formerly Schucks)

10. Skylark's HiddenCafe, Fairhaven

11. Kmart

12. NUMEROUS Starbucks locations

13. Luis' Mexican Restaraunt

14. Jalapeno's Mexican Restaraunt

15. Walgreens on Meridian

16. Rite Aid on Northwest

That's all I can remember for now. I'm sure there's more, but I'm tired.

uncoolperson

imported post

lettered streets coffeehouse.

though that could be because the owner is my brother's ex-girlfriend and my wife's ex-roomate. But she said she'd have no problem with folks, and she hasn't when I've gone there. If you're told otherwise let me know.

I thought someone got harassed at the sheriff's office while ago?
And doesn't haggen's have a company policy of no guns?

heresolong

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
I thought someone got harassed at the sheriff's office while ago?
And doesn't haggen's have a company policy of no guns?
Yeah. Apparently the Bellingham PD is a "gun free zone". That is not resolved but the law is on our side if we have to go there to conduct business.

The manager at Ferndale Haggen said that the company has a no guns policy. However he declined to provide a written copy of the policy and Haggen corporate never responded to any of our requests for clarification. I still carry there and haven't had a problem, but it has been winter so my pistol is generally under a coat. We'll have to see what happens once the weather gets nicer.

If Richard reads this, maybe he can add further details as to what efforts were made to contact Haggen corporate. I sent a letter, he may have called.

tyguy808

imported post

Haggen Policy will mean nothing here really soon. They're being bought out by Kroger. Kroger is the parent company of Fred Meyer, and their policy is to follow state law!

heresolong

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
Haggen Policy will mean nothing here really soon. They're being bought out by Kroger. Kroger is the parent company of Fred Meyer, and their policy is to follow state law!
Interesting. I hope they keep the stores the way they are. I like shopping at Haggen because the stores are nicer and have a better selection than FM or CC.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What surprised me in this thread is the fact that Yeager's Sporting Goods is still around. It's been over 40 years since I was last in there.

uncoolperson

imported post

k.rollin wrote:
What I like the most about this thread is now I know the screen names of a bunch more members who are local to me.
It's likely you infact know some of us.... Did I lend you a shoulder holster for the empty holster day a couple of years back?

Hammer

imported post

I've had no problem OCing in Burlington Haggen's - and have done so many times. That's not to say none of the stores will try to write policy- just that one seems OC friendly.

k.rollin

imported post

You may have. I did borrow a black Galco shoulder rig for the SCCC empty holster protest my freshman year at Western.

Speaking of the SCCC, they're doing another empty holster protest April 5th through April 9th for anyone interested in supporting the cause.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I have never had an issue at Haggens. And the the few stores that did approach me have never been an issue again. It seems like Whatcom/Bellingham is fairly supportive.