• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The "SAFTEY BULLET" have You seen it >>

Tomahawk

imported post

My first insinct is to reject this idea, since if someone is mimicing what they see in the movies, they will rack the slide before they shoot anyway. But then I guess that's why he loaded two of them.

So it's an interesting idea, after all, but I'm still not sold.

miked

imported post

Scenario 1. Kid finds gun, tries to fire it and locks it up. Owner does not realize the gun is locked until an intruder is bearing down on him/her.

Scenario 2. Owner doesn't remember to cycle the slide making the gun inoperable in the moment of need.

Scenario....

I just can see too many different negatives to this product. If people would get their crap together and not leave their loaded guns where their kids could access them then this would be a non issue. No product can replace education and common sense.

drkarrow

imported post

That's a very smart inventor. Having children I could see choice by some to use something to this effect. But I agree personally it looks like added complication that could go wrong at the wrong time.

I think we can all agree, don't ever require them by law!

Nozoki

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
We've had these so-called "Safety Bullets" for a very long time, most peopleknow them as snap caps. :banghead:
To be fair, this one does lock your slide so another round cannot be chambered. Miked pointed out some negative scenarios for this, but it could be useful if you can remember to eject it before you really need to use the gun.

miked

imported post

Personally, the only useful purpose I can see for this would be akin to a trigger lock for storage in a safe. It's usefulness is too far outweighed by it's potential for disaster.

I wonder how long before the first lawsuit comes in because a user was killed as a result of the product.

r6-rider

imported post

by far the stupidest thing iv ever seen. good intentions, but retarded nonetheless

how to keep guns away from kids... keep the gun ON you. and store the rest in a (good, not cheap) safe

how to prevent a criminal from shooting you with your own gun well.... try to stay as alert as possible and react quicker than him. in other words its a chance im willing to take

ill be damned if someone pops out from around a corner with a knife and i go to shoot and all i hear is *click* and THEN on top of that my slide is locked. i might as well just shoot my self and save him the trouble for being such a dumba$$

zack991

imported post

It is a lot easier to teach your kids the proper way to handle a firearm and discipline them from being stupid. I see nothing but people having a dead weapon if the time ever came for them to rely on it to save their life.

Alexcabbie

imported post

I actually spoke with the inventor a couple of gun shows ago. I suppose that if you MUST have a locking device then this one is easier to disengage and get the weapon into battery than a lock-and-key setup. I have actually thought years ago of putting two dummy rounds into the PPK so that if a bandit took it he wouldn't be able to shoot me with my own weapon but rejected the idea because racking the slide TWICE wastes what very well could be a precious second.

Personally I have a drawer full of trigger locks that I have absolutely no use for. They came with the damn guns and are all easily defeated with nothing more than a wire cutter. If you have rocks in your head, then you need a locking device. But then again if you have rocks in your head, you shouldn't be anywhere near a firearm.

RymRytr

imported post

I agree with Alex. If you can't "think" straight, buy steel walls for your house and stay home.

If you are afraid that you will forget to work the slide, or that you might be befuddled in the middle of the night, (and don't wear you weapon at all times, as suggested (even in bed)) than you don't need a gun.

No intruder is getting into my home with out my knowledge and by the time he works his way to my bedroom, I'll have had plenty of time to work a slide. Thing is, my slide is on a 12 gauge. Ever hear the click-clack of a pump action, at 3 in the morning? It alone, can be a deterrent to some. If not, its hello to 7 rounds of 00. :D

Anyhow, every situation is unique. Some children are very inquisitive and if they live through it to be punished, as suggested, then that a positive. Don't uniformly dismiss this device, en mass. Every item has it uses and is up to the individual. For me and my Shot Gun, there are no kids in the house. It goes into the safe when I leave and, like the junkie down the block, comes out at night.

This is just my opinion, no charge.

KBCraig

imported post

I immediately dismiss all discussions of "safety" that come from someone who can't keep his booger hook off the bang switch.